PDA

View Full Version : Gophers in the grande prairie area?

Cow Town Bill
03-16-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm planning a spring black bear hunt north of Grande Prairie and wonder if there are any gophers in the area. I suspect it is too far north but thought I would check.
Another question, how far north can one find gophers?

FallAirFever
03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
You are right too far north for gophers

TUFFBUFF
03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I believe the Athabasca river is the north/south border for gophers in Alberta.

Pappa
03-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I never thought of a boundary in Alberta but I grew up east of lacombe and now live west of Leduc. Definitely less gophers here than an hour or so south.

st99
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
no gophers, but there is some ground hog (marmot)

greylynx
03-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Head southwest into the mountains and you will find Columbian Groundsquirrels.

Columbian Groundsquirrels are the cousins of the Richardson Groundsquirrel commonly known as a "gopher". Both the Columbian and Richardsons ground squirrel are not a true gopher but blow up just as nice with the .17 rimfire.

Finding a Columbian Groundsquirrel colony in the mountains is a nice place to to sit down and relax and check out the .338 when you are bear hunting.

Cow Town Bill
03-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your response. Looks like the Athabasca River is a good reference for the dividing line. Guess that as you go further north the frost gets too deep for the little beggers to dig their holes.
I think marmots are protected but I can't say for sure.
I have seen Columbian ground squirels in the foothills west of Calgary but not in the same numbers as the Richardson's in the prairies.
So Greylynx if I take the forestry trunk road south of Grande Prairie do I have a good chance to shoot Richardson's as well as a bear?
I have hunted grizzly (years ago) in Willmore Wilderness park and don't recall seeing any Richardson's.