PDA

View Full Version : Chiappa Mare's Leg

PGH
03-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Well i just couldn't resist it when I saw it at the outdoorsman show today. I picked up a Chiappa Mare's Leg calibered in .357. Rossi ranch hand eat your heart out...

It comes in 357, 44 mag, 44/40 win, and 45 long colt. However the 357 will do just fine for me and it can shoot the cheaper .38 special which should be fun. The main reason i bought this is for bear protection when I'm bow hunting in a tree stand. Last year I had a bear come up the tree and my knife never looked smaller. It will also accompany me on hiking and camping excursions due its compact size.

And yes, it is a non-restricted "pistol style" rifle. Octagon barrel, made in Italy, 6.6 lbs, solid walnut stock, cold forged steel receiver and components. Its not cheap, but all the reviews I read said it was much better build quality and action than the Henry mare's leg and the rossi ranch hand (not that they are bad choices either). Barrel length is 12 inches, but the best part about it is that it has the take-down option that allows you break it down into two pieces for even more compact transportation. Tube style magazine allows for a 5+1 capacity - and you can remove a spacer inside the tube to allow for 6+1 capacity if you wanted.

No, I will not be hunting with it (intentionally). I will post another review once I've taken to the range (should be soon!).

chain2
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
yep that looks cool but what does the remote operate?:):)chain

wolfkiller
03-16-2012, 09:55 PM
yeah i still havent shot mine yet, have had it for 2 months or so now. Way nicer than henrys or rossi's, get what ya pay for though.

jungleboy
03-16-2012, 10:32 PM
I bought the Henry mares leg in .22 a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. My main reason was to have a small firearm for those occasional rabbits I come across while big game hunting. A light weight compact gun that I can carry in addition to the the 45/70 .

wolfkiller
03-16-2012, 11:08 PM
This is what i use my henry mares leg in 22lr for. perfect dispatchin gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHEbTq8Xu5Q&feature=plcp&context=C4b8b0b6VDvjVQa1PpcFNLD_d1mxiVbL4Cfyu9bHvN 5B7IxYapN1s%3D

PGH
03-17-2012, 08:26 PM
yep that looks cool but what does the remote operate?:):)chain

lol. the remote was for scale purposes.

Anyone know where I can get a holster for it? (the gun, not the remote)

bronc_twister
03-17-2012, 08:34 PM
I have one ordered through mernickle custom holsters out of Arizon.They say it takes about 4-6 weeks to build it and two weeks to ship it.They can pretty much make whatever you'd like.Thier website is worth checking out.

jakebrake
03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I have one in 44mag and one in 357mag and the quality of these guns are far superior than the rossi but are almost $500 more.I use a uncle mikes #4 verticle shoulder holster and the gun fits perfect and only cost $60.00 just cut the stitching at the bottom of the holster and the barrel will stick out two inches.Both of mine have nice triggers and the sites were dead on.

PoppaW
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Wanstalls had a link to a guy doing saddle leather holsters and belts. Look sharp.

gitrdun
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I still can't figure out what one could possibly do with one of those hugly POS? Bear defense with a 45 Colt? Are you kiddin?

If you're gonna pack a gun, at least pack one that makes a difference.

jakebrake
03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I just got in the house after shooting my 44 chiappa at 60 yards I had no problem hitting an ice cream pail. out to 100 yards I would have no problem dropping a bear,these guns are perfect for a backup gun for bow hunting or just out scouting in the woods or nice gun to have when quading.These guns are the next best thing to carring a handgun which will never be legal in Canada.These guns sell fast so when you find one you better grab it.

gitrdun
03-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Naww, you might not have a problem hitting it, but dropping it is another story, you might just **** it off. Ever been mauled by a ice cream pail?

Alberta Bigbore
03-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I still can't figure out what one could possibly do with one of those hugly POS? Bear defense with a 45 Colt? Are you kiddin?

I dont find it appealing to the eye at all either... but thats ok.. another gun in the safe is another gun in the safe!

gitrdun
03-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I dont find it appealing to the eye at all either... but thats ok.. another gun in the safe is another gun in the safe!

Yeah, but safe space is premium real estate, make it worthwhile.

jakebrake
03-18-2012, 05:57 PM
a 44magnum with a 240 grain bullet shot through the lungs of a black bear will more than **** him off it will out right kill it.

gitrdun
03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
a 44magnum with a 240 grain bullet shot through the lungs of a black bear will more than **** him off it will out right kill it.

Good enough, Ill go along with that, wont argue with it. However when riding the lease a nd n'd hunting in the Yukon, I can attest to two very close encounters with grizz's. And I do have pics to prove them. Let me tell you brother, that no matter what gun (.375 hh) or whatever, their is a certain feeling of uneasiness and goose bumps that travel up your back when you encounter one of those bad boyz, and in my case " two of them". :)

When this occured, my best line of defense wasn't my gun, t'was an even tempered Paint mare that got me the heck outta Dodge in a hurry.

bchap22
03-18-2012, 07:08 PM
What does one of those chiappas cost?

Lefty-Canuck
03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
What does one of those chiappas cost?

$1000.00 + , nice but a bit too spendy for what you are getting IMHO....the Rossi will suit my needs fine if I decide to get one.

LC

jakebrake
03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I have to agree when it comes to a grizzly bear a 44mag would seem pretty small,but the average black bear might weigh 250 pounds.

catnthehat
03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I had a look at one on friday at the shop up here- first impression was "COOL!! I always did like watching Dead or Alive!"
S3econd impression was ' HOW much??!!":thinking-006:
Cat

gitrdun
03-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I had a look at one on friday at the shop up here- first impression was "COOL!! I always did like watching Dead or Alive!"
S3econd impression was ' HOW much??!!":thinking-006:
Cat
YOu go for that chit??? wanny puke

catnthehat
03-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Well, I was very younbg when "Dead or Alive" was on the tube.
And when i saw the sticker price , yes, I almost puked as well!!
Don't think I will be buying one anytime soon at that money!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

jungleboy
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Not sure why the attitude towards these guns . if you don't care for them,that's fine . Some like em so what's the big deal. I don't care much for the black ops guns but whatever you like is your own preference. Personally I like the Mares leg and would love a big bore to go with my .22 .

As far as justification for having one goes , none needed. If you like it, buy it if you can afford it .

bronc_twister
03-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Not sure why the attitude towards these guns . if you don't care for them,that's fine . Some like em so what's the big deal. I don't care much for the black ops guns but whatever you like is your own preference. Personally I like the Mares leg and would love a big bore to go with my .22 .

As far as justification for having one goes , none needed. If you like it, buy it if you can afford it .

Agreed x2!!!! I've got one in a Henry .22 and a .45 no justification needed for alittle bit of gun fun!!!

Jamie Black R/T
03-19-2012, 09:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHEbTq8Xu5Q&feature=plcp&context=C4b8b0b6VDvjVQa1PpcFNLD_d1mxiVbL4Cfyu9bHvN 5B7IxYapN1s%3D

you cant kill a wolf with a .22!!

after reading some of these posts you would think no less than a 416 rigby will kill a wolf and brown bears? forget about it....RPG is the only thing that will stop a charge. :bad_boys_20:

PGH
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Let's cool the debate down here. I posted only to provide information and the reasons why I chose to buy this firearm. I really don't care if you like it or not. There is no point in getting carried away with what it will kill or what it won't kill - way too many variables for that argument.

I like it because it is compact and I didn't have to bother with getting a restricted PAL license which I dont have time for. The gun is compact which is the main reason I wanted it.

What you pay for is what you get when it comes to guns - or so I keep hearing time after time.

I used my tax return to pay for it anyways...:sHa_shakeshout:

PGH
03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
looks like "gitrdun" gotter dun by gettin' supsended.

schian
03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
this may be a silly question, but which caliber that these are available in would be best for bear protection?

Lefty-Canuck
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
this may be a silly question, but which caliber that these are available in would be best for bear protection?

44 magnum....hands down IMHO.

LC

jungleboy
03-19-2012, 06:23 PM

Realistically speaking you are probably better off with bear spray than a gun for "bear protection" When the going gets tough most can't hit where they think they are shooting anyway. In 30 yrs of hunting I came up on a Griz one time and he was no small bear . He ran away ( I didn't realize I smelled so bad:)) Buy a mares leg in whatever calibre you prefer and shoot it cuz it's fun to shoot, And just be extra vigilant in bear country.

PGH
03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
.44 mag would probably be the best for bear protection - if that's all you wanted it for. .44 mag does have its advantages - its harder hitting than the 357 for sure. However for all around versatility you can't beat the 357 magnum - plus its cheaper to shoot and fun for plinking around with. .44 magnum could also wear the components of the gun out sooner due its recoil being greater than the 357 but it would likely take thousands of rounds to truly know this. Likely a non-issue for most ppl.

Now - who's got any opinions as to what kind of sights I could slap on this for quick aiming out to 50 yds?

mudbug
03-19-2012, 07:03 PM
The way I look at it is if it's something you want then buy it :sHa_shakeshout:
Neat looking rifle by the way :)

jungleboy
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Now - who's got any opinions as to what kind of sights I could slap on this for quick aiming out to 50 yds?

Peep site , I have a peep on my 4570 guide gun and that is perfect for close in shooting.

twofifty
03-19-2012, 11:22 PM

Here's an even sillier question:

How the heck do you hold or shoulder one of these, firing 45-70 reloads, maintain a sight picture while squeezing off the shot, and not mash your face with your trigger hand?

sheephunter
03-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Here's an even sillier question:

How the heck do you hold or shoulder one of these, firing 45-70 reloads, maintain a sight picture while squeezing off the shot, and not mash your face with your trigger hand?

They don't make it in 45/70.

twofifty
03-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok, but how do I hold and fire a mare's leg?

sheephunter
03-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Lots of good youtube videos but you can shoot it one handed or two handed. With two hands...one on pistol grip and other on forestock. With one hand...just on pistol grip.

twofifty
03-19-2012, 11:34 PM
thx

ACKLEY ABE
03-20-2012, 07:39 AM
.44 mag would probably be the best for bear protection - if that's all you wanted it for. .44 mag does have its advantages - its harder hitting than the 357 for sure. However for all around versatility you can't beat the 357 magnum - plus its cheaper to shoot and fun for plinking around with. .44 magnum could also wear the components of the gun out sooner due its recoil being greater than the 357 but it would likely take thousands of rounds to truly know this. Likely a non-issue for most ppl.

I doubt that anything is going to work well in the "sight" department. Can't really shoulder it...no stk to speak of. Maybe just use the "Josh Randell" system...point and shoot and keep shooting till you run out of Fur or run out of bullets....Instinctive hip shooting 101.

Over the years I've run into several Grizzlies, but if Im in bear country, I am always carrying my 338 or more recently a 45.70. I think I will continue this practice instead of relying on a handgun cartridge...and yes a 44 or 45 would work, but deffinatly not a "first choice".

PGH
05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Finally got a chance to shoot the .357 chiappa. Recoil wasn't bad at all and shooting with one hand is possible, but not something I would make a habbit of.

Iron sights worked pretty well, but I only shot out to 20 yards or so. I plan on shooting it more, but I didn't have a whole lot of time when I was out with it.

The lever action was nice and crisp. No issues at all. Overall, I've never had more fun shooting a gun. But then again, I haven't shot anything automatic yet.....

Mistagin
05-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Hey PGH, just gotta make a comment, my wife likes your avatar!
She's got a sweater with that pattern, I just tease her when she wears it.

Battle Rat
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM

Hold with a bit of a push with your front hand and a bit of a pull with your trigger hand.
If you have a sling on the saddle ring adjusted so that it is tight when pushing forward it is quite stable.

PGH
05-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey PGH, just gotta make a comment, my wife likes your avatar!
She's got a sweater with that pattern, I just tease her when she wears it.

Thats the Friesian Flag. Do you know what the red things are? I'll give you a hint...they're not hearts.

Mistagin
05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I know. She's from Friesian descent, she can sorta speak the language and understands it well.
I'm not, and I don't, ha, ha.

I know what the red things are - representative of the leaves of a waterlily native to that part of the country. But I just call 'em 'kidney beans' :). That gets my FIL going!

Jamie Black R/T
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
But I just call 'em 'kidney beans' :). That gets my FIL going!

gold star on your man card! :shake2:

Grizzly Adams
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Wouldn't you be better off with one of those ultra short barrelled Norinco rifles? Cheaper as well .

Grizz

redneckflyfisher
03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I am looking to buy a henry mares leg next mouth when I get my pal I am jw y its classified as a none restrickted

Jims71duster
03-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Wow another classic comment from the growing number of people on here that should be booted off this site. How bout " nice gun but not for me" must be tough to be a good outdoorsman when you have no idea how to practice being a good person.

Jims71duster
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM

Forehand 80 percent push forward and postal grip 20 percent pull

pricedo
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I carry my Chiappa Takedown Mare's Leg in 44 Mag in a leather belt holster made by Cochise Leather for bear protection.
It's the closest we'll ever get to carrying a legal hand gun in Canada.
It's a loophole that the Chretien Liberals forgot to close in bill c-68.
I'm sure the Justin Trudeau majority government in 2015 will slam the door on the short barreled rifles and shotguns with a 16" minimum barrel length limit similar to the federal law in the US and the Mare's Legs will become Firearms Section 12 safe queens like the converted full autos which used to be legal to carry.
Better enjoy em while you can.

kerrl
04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.cochiseleather.com/leather-rifle-scabbards.aspx
Check it out

Chewbacca
04-08-2013, 11:45 PM
I have a Rossi .44 Rem mag that I'm going to put a full butt stock on. Got it for back up when bow hunting.
I shot and and killed a black bear dead that was breaking into my shack in the middle of the night with a .222 , one shot.
So I'm thinkin that with six 240 grain chunks of lead from a .44 mag should stop a grizz.
The first time I shot time I shot a .44 mag it was Ruger Blackhawk at a 1x4x6 lead bar at about 25 yards and it tipped over. Big deal I thought, walked over to set the bar back up and a chunk about two inches round with the centre about half way thru the bar was gone. Impressed me, but then I was only 17. It should tip a big bear over.

pricedo
04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I have a Rossi .44 Rem mag that I'm going to put a full butt stock on. Got it for back up when bow hunting.
I shot and and killed a black bear dead that was breaking into my shack in the middle of the night with a .222 , one shot.
So I'm thinkin that with six 240 grain chunks of lead from a .44 mag should stop a grizz.
The first time I shot time I shot a .44 mag it was Ruger Blackhawk at a 1x4x6 lead bar at about 25 yards and it tipped over. Big deal I thought, walked over to set the bar back up and a chunk about two inches round with the centre about half way thru the bar was gone. Impressed me, but then I was only 17. It should tip a big bear over.

It will stop a Grizz if the shots are placed right.
Each 240 grain slug is packing 1700 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.
The detractors who say it won't probably never saw a live grizzly Bear in their lives.
The ones that know the least oftentimes have the most to say.:sHa_shakeshout:

Coho911
04-11-2013, 02:15 AM

Yup. : http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=144548

ForwardBias
04-11-2013, 06:30 AM
The "bear defence" talk is getting old. People go out into the wilds without firearms everyday, and live to tell about it. Prevention is the best protection.

keep6matt
04-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Talk to Coho911 here is a thread he started for making these and here are some pics of mine i just received from him in the mail last night, he does amazing work and is a great guy.

Lefty-Canuck
04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
The "bear defence" talk is getting old. People go out into the wilds without firearms everyday, and live to tell about it. Prevention is the best protection.

I agree....100% BUT....stuff happens even when you don't want it to.

If you went to an area known to be frequented by animals that could harm or kill you and you had an opportunity to bring something that would potentially save your life or the lives of your wife or kids.....would you leave that item at home?

I don't ever expect to have to shoot a bear in self defence but if I go to an area that may call for a survival situation and is frequented by bears...I will have a firearm with me.

LC

ForwardBias
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Yeah you have a point there. If i was out with my old lady, or had kids i wouldnt wanna take any chances. I have a rossi m 92. Pistol cartridge carbines are so much fun. Congrats on your mares leg, i think there pretty cool.

Coho911
04-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Busy table of orders right now, but always there to get people the personalized leather they are looking for if I can make it :)

just a poor photo of some past samples;

http://coho911.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-WScb6Qk/0/M/smugshot_5123035-M.jpg

Satain
09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Busy table of orders right now, but always there to get people the personalized leather they are looking for if I can make it :)

just a poor photo of some past samples;

http://coho911.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-WScb6Qk/0/M/smugshot_5123035-M.jpg

Hey any chance you can make one that holds 20 22LR rounds and also have a leg strap on the bottom of this holster?

Puma
09-27-2013, 12:45 PM

Yikes, pretty opinionated for a guy who rides a mare.

coyoteslayer
09-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Naww, you might not have a problem hitting it, but dropping it is another story, you might just **** it off. Ever been mauled by a ice cream pail?

hahahahahaha. Even though this was a little bit harsh, I laughed when I read it. I agree. You may want to leave that last bullet...............for yourself.