PDA

View Full Version : Claw Necklace (Cleaning Claws)

trapshooter
03-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Hey Guys,
I shot a badger back in November and but the paws off so I could make a necklace with the claws. I put them in the freezer and just remembered them the other day. I should I go about taking the claws off the paw itself?

rottie
03-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Pop them off at the first nuckle up from the claw,thaw them out and you should be able to feel the cartiledge/joint

shakeyleg02
03-16-2012, 10:31 PM
i did some bear claws once their is a bone inside the claw which should be taken out .. i left mine in the first time and ..they stink after awhile

good luck

trapshooter
03-16-2012, 10:58 PM
i did some bear claws once their is a bone inside the claw which should be taken out .. i left mine in the first time and ..they stink after awhile

good luck

I would think that it you didn't leave the bone in it would be very brittle

thumper
03-16-2012, 11:26 PM
You can let it decompose a little, then slide the bone out, dry the empty claw thoroughly and then fill the cavity with resin - or even with white carpenters glue. Set a loop of wire in the glue before it dries, and you can thread them on your leather thong for a necklace. I've done this with small black bear claws before.

IHUNT
03-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Cut them off at the last joint and boil them for about 5 min and everything will come out of the claws Make sure you let them dry before you try and drill any holes in them. I use a small pin heated red hot to put holes in my bear claws works pretty good.

Wolf Medicine
03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah what he said. Have done various claws. I have always treated them like I do Skulls. Light boiling. Pressure washer, Hydrogen peroxide. Makes em look just fine to me. And can't say I recolect any unpleasant odour, Course could just be me?? LMAO..

WM.

sinawalli
03-17-2012, 09:00 PM
You can let it decompose a little, then slide the bone out, dry the empty claw thoroughly and then fill the cavity with resin - or even with white carpenters glue. Set a loop of wire in the glue before it dries, and you can thread them on your leather thong for a necklace. I've done this with small black bear claws before.

I did the same thing with bear claws (used 2 part epoxy), and it turned out amazing! Buffed the claws with WD-40 and green scotch brite, took all the toe jam off, and gave it a real nice shine! Looks like it came out of a store. Pretty much not worth doing it otherwise, as the claws are hollow, and thin, and can be cracked very easily.

Pioneer2
03-18-2012, 06:11 AM
In was under the impression it was illegal to remove bear claws from a hide in AB ? Could be wrong? Harold

huntinstuff
03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
In was under the impression it was illegal to remove bear claws from a hide in AB ? Could be wrong? Harold

Only if you sell them to "Sum Dum Fok". Same with gall bladders. If its for you, fine. If you start trading or selling, it becomes a concern.