PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into fly fishing....

OttCan
03-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Well I've been here over a year now and I'd like to give fly fishing a good go. Thing is, I don't know where to start and what gear would be a good start.

Any help on what should be on the purchase list would be great!

Thanks!

Guitarplayingfish
03-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Well I've been here over a year now and I'd like to give fly fishing a good go. Thing is, I don't know where to start and what gear would be a good start.

Any help on what should be on the purchase list would be great!

Thanks!

It really depends on what you aim to fish for. 5 weights are good starter rods, as they are very versatile. If no one pipes up by the time I get home tomorrow (Going Flyfishing! :sHa_shakeshout:) I will respond in greater detail.

npauls
03-17-2012, 01:09 PM
There is a shop in Calgary that does a course and at the end of the course you get to keep the rod set up. I think the course is a couple hundred bucks and will put you way farther ahead then trying to teach yourself.

I am sure they will help you with any other gear you would need also.

Fisher_man#1
03-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Took the course at here http://www.countrypleasures.com/fly_fishing_schools.php

a number of years ago, would highly recommend it for a begginer. They teach you everything you need to know about equipment and techniques and reading water. Good investment, and greatly lessens the learning curve.

If lessons arnt in your budget you can just pick some books and a basic 5 or 6 weight rod and head out yourself. Or try and find someone to tag along with, sorry i dont live in Calgary anymore so...

Cheers,

Krush
03-17-2012, 05:11 PM
There is a shop in Calgary that does a course and at the end of the course you get to keep the rod set up. I think the course is a couple hundred bucks and will put you way farther ahead then trying to teach yourself.

I am sure they will help you with any other gear you would need also.

Hanson's Outfitters Boot Camp.

http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fly-fishing-boot-camp/

OttCan
03-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Wow, didn't know bout all the schools, that's awesome though! Thanks guys!

simmered
03-18-2012, 07:32 AM
I started fly fishing last year, so not an expert by any means, but I tried and tried learning how to cast with a canadian tire special. When the tip broke that was the best thing to happen to me!!!! I went and bought a fenwick 9' 5wt rod. It was only a hundred bucks and the best purchase I made hands down was quality line. The line sure made a huge difference inthe casting learning curve! Good luck.

jts1
03-18-2012, 07:43 AM
No worries. We can set you up. Will take you out and give you some gear to try. There is nothing wrong with a TFO set up. Local and life time warrenty. Will be back from Sask in a few days. Drop me a line.

Darren N
03-18-2012, 08:12 AM
As far as learning technique.... The local library is a great resource of videos and books. Go to a large field and practice casting before hitting the water.

Darren N
03-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I missed reading the post above. Getting school may be a wise option as well. I find everyone creates their own little cast style, even though they follow the basics. What works for you is best.

kritofr
03-18-2012, 08:18 AM
All the fly shops offer a course orientated for the beginner. IMO it is better to take a course before you purchase your rod. You will have a better comprehension of what rod weight, action, length that will fit your purpose.

When choosing a rod, ask yourself where do you intend to spend most your time fishing?

Prepackages are good but I prefer to make my own combo. I have more control over the quality of the rod and line and I go cheaper on the reel ( for fishing around here). A lot of the time you can strip the fish instead of using the reel ( yes, I am aware of the strength of some of the trout found in some of the local waters). The better quality rod and line combination will make a difference in your casting.

You can set a budget and will be able to find good quality gear within that budget. Try casting the rods before you buy,

Good luck

sureshot
03-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Take a look at the amundson combos, I bought one last year and am very happy with it. Or the reddington pursuit is a nice combo also. The only thing is when buying a combo change the line right away as they just throw the cheapest line on combos. Hope this helps.

Andy

Bigtoad
03-18-2012, 09:02 AM
I love the TFO's but when you buy the combos, be warned, the Prism (TFO) reels aren't great and the line usually mediocre. Might be better to buy a 5wt TFO rod, or something similar with a lifetime warranty, a decent $100 reel - Pfluegers are amazing, and some good'ol Cortland 444 or splurge and get some Rio Gold. This setup should keep you fishing for a long time.

Cheers.

NUK SOO KOW
03-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I would say grab a TFO'S combo in a 5 or 6 weight, awesome rods and wont break the bank. And if you truly enjoy flyfishing you can invest in a better setup later. I have 3 TFO'S I really like them!

Dust1n
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
TFO are awesome! I got the TFO 4wt pro series and it casts with persession and is very reliable with the nice feel to it.
Iv landed everything from walleye to pike and browns and whitefish with it.
Iv pared mine up with a Hobbs creek reel for 40 bucks and works great for its 3-4th season. Im probably going to upgrade it soon even though the reel is bullet proof. The warrenty on the rod is lifetime so if you snap the tip off in the door or step on it they will replace!
This is the setup:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Walleye%20Sauger/gtrvd-1.png

silverdoctor
03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
X2 on TFO.

youtube for flyfishing instructions, get a rod and head out to a grassy field somewhere and practice. The casting is very easy to learn, but takes years to master - and I haven't mastered it yet lol

As for the rest of the gear, a basic net is a must, some sort of fly vest is a nice to have for the storage and comfort. One flybox will get you going, depending on what you're fishing.

Waders are a must in the rivers or tubing. Breathables can be on the pricy size depending on your size but well worth the money for the comfort. I'm all leg and the only ones I could find to fit were reddingtons and they cost near $300. Neoprenes are cheap but effective - and way too warm for the summer months.

Wading boots? Nice to have but I keep buying $10 sneakers from walmart, 2 pairs per season.

A word of warning... When you land your first fish on a flyrod, you'll realize it's going to be an expensive fish :sHa_shakeshout:

Flyfisher87
03-18-2012, 11:07 AM
A word of warning... When you land your first fish on a flyrod, you'll realize it's going to be an expensive fish :sHa_shakeshout:

Oh how very true. I think most of us speak from experience on this one. Buying more stuff and gadgets to feed the ever growing fly-fishing addiction is almost as much fun as being on the water :)

npauls
03-18-2012, 12:52 PM

So True,

You go out and buy a cheap combo thinking I will use this forever and then soon realize that you want something nicer. Soon you are deep into it like I am and have a dozen rods and have talked many others into trying out the sport and buying new gear.

It is an addiction and it will hit you hard.

pipco
03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Ottcan,

This is quick bit of info I'd posted on another forum.

After fly fishing for only a few years I'm no expert so take my advice with a grain of salt . Having managed to put some decent time in (around 50-60 outings a year) different gear has come and gone. Some great, some not so great.
Brands are up to you but I feel you're definitely on the right track with a #5-#6 rod. After trying several different reels I prefer a large arbor reel. Buy the best rod, reel and line you can afford within reason . It will probably make your angling experience better. Like most things you get what you pay for. If you decide a certain piece of equipment doesn't work for you it will still hold some value for another angler to buy used, if it is quality to start with.
Check the classifieds for used stuff as you can pick up some great deals.

Have fun! Fly fishing is a blast!
stan