PDA

View Full Version : B.C fishing restrictions

BGSH
03-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Summer proposed fishing restrictions.

http://video.cheknews.ca/services/player/bcpid1011606683001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA4mHNTzE~,ejlzBnG UUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=1515995781001

BeeGuy
03-17-2012, 09:02 PM
What's the point of the size restrictions?

BGSH
03-17-2012, 09:07 PM
What's the point of the size restrictions?

I dont know but i bet charters wont be happy

Albertafisher
03-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Hmmm, I'm all for C&R, but I'm sure these restrictions wont make a difference in terms of fish well-being.

browning375
03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Another nail in the coffin for our sports fishery! Typical of the DFO to drive away one of the few things that makes money for locals!

Serengeti Charters
03-17-2012, 11:33 PM
This is only for the south island around Sooke and Victoria...but yes, it hurts many charters down there.

Jamie
03-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow...thank god we are in the north country and able to fish where we do.
Those lodges down there are going to be devastated.
Prince Rupert may end up being the final frontier as far as fishing goes.

Something very special about bobbing around in your boat, looking over your shoulder and seeing the mountains of Alaska.

Jamie

Serengeti Charters
03-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Ruperts has a few too many boats running out of it to be the final frontier...way up north though I'll agree.

Jamie
03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Ruperts has a few too many boats running out of it to be the final frontier...way up north though I'll agree.

Nah..... Not that many boats. I have seen places with PLENTY of boats, and this place is barren compared to many of the spots I have hit. In fact, Prince Rupert is highly underutilized by the Recreational fisherman.
You should come up some time (If you haven't been) I know it's a bit of a "Busman's Holiday". But still a ton of fun.

As for being way north, Yes we are, right on the Alaskan border. How ever, in doing a quick look, I couldn't help but notice just how much quicker from Alberta it is to get to Prince Rupert compared to the Island. Honestly, I was a bit shocked.

Edmonton-Port Hardy = 19 Hours and 48 Minutes. Not sure if this includes the the 2 hours you spend on the ferry and the additional hour waiting to board.

Edmonton to Prince Rupert = 16 Hours 28 Minutes. No delays, no ferry's.

Calgary - Prince Rupert = 17Hours 25 Minutes

Calgary - Port Hardy = 18 Hours 22 Minutes (Same ferry's as above)

Anyhow, back to the OP.. In talking with people at the show today, they were TICKED off about this. Time will tell how it will effect everything in the south.

As for the Hali thing, it didn't seem to bother them at all.

Have a safe trip back from Salt Lake David.

Jamie

walking buffalo
03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Wow...thank god we are in the north country and able to fish where we do.
Those lodges down there are going to be devastated.
Prince Rupert may end up being the final frontier as far as fishing goes.

Something very special about bobbing around in your boat, looking over your shoulder and seeing the mountains of Alaska.

Jamie

I don't think God is to be thanked here, unless that is a new acronym for the DFO.

I hope the unaffected lodges raise h3ll in support of the southern recreational fishery. These decisions by God to pick on the southern sporties while pleasing the commercial sector will not help the fish, or Joe and Jane fisherman.

Jamie
03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't think God is to be thanked here, unless that is a new acronym for the DFO.

I hope the unaffected lodges raise h3ll in support of the southern recreational fishery. These decisions by God to pick on the southern sporties while pleasing the commercial sector will not help the fish, or Joe and Jane fisherman.

Damn rights!!! If we all don't stick together, it will end up being the death of us all.
The more rec fisherman that are out on the water, the stronger we all become.

Jamie

Serengeti Charters
03-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Nah..... Not that many boats. I have seen places with PLENTY of boats, and this place is barren compared to many of the spots I have hit. In fact, Prince Rupert is highly underutilized by the Recreational fisherman.
You should come up some time (If you haven't been) I know it's a bit of a "Busman's Holiday". But still a ton of fun.

As for being way north, Yes we are, right on the Alaskan border. How ever, in doing a quick look, I couldn't help but notice just how much quicker from Alberta it is to get to Prince Rupert compared to the Island. Honestly, I was a bit shocked.

Edmonton-Port Hardy = 19 Hours and 48 Minutes. Not sure if this includes the the 2 hours you spend on the ferry and the additional hour waiting to board.

Edmonton to Prince Rupert = 16 Hours 28 Minutes. No delays, no ferry's.

Calgary - Prince Rupert = 17Hours 25 Minutes

Calgary - Port Hardy = 18 Hours 22 Minutes (Same ferry's as above)

Anyhow, back to the OP.. In talking with people at the show today, they were TICKED off about this. Time will tell how it will effect everything in the south.

As for the Hali thing, it didn't seem to bother them at all.

Have a safe trip back from Salt Lake David.

Jamie

I just meant the charter fleet out of Rupert is extremely large.

Also didn't mean it was hard to get to...just that it's almost in Alaska, took that the wrong way :lol:. But on that subject, Hardy is more affordable to get to via plane and it's an easy flight, just looked er up, if we're to compare. Then there's fishing...but that's nor here or there.

On the thread topic, this is a big blow to the guys down there and I'm friends with a few of them, people will drive the extra few hours north to get away from the regulations...it's not fair to them as they have some good fishing as well, but won't be able to capitalize on it...what about native nets in the river...how do those affect the runs...DFO is ridiculous and completely brain dead in so many aspects, they skirt around the actual issues at hand constantly and it's going to catch up to them eventually and we will be the ones to pay...just bugs me SO much :angry3:...obviously :lol:

Pudelpointer
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
How about a synopsis of the restrictions?

fishmonger
03-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but perhaps some of the BC guys can help clarify this quote from another recent post ("halibut update").

Comment was made that the fish cops CANNOT check possession unless you are in the act of fishing.

First I heard of this, as I myself have been checked at ferry crossings while in my vehicle, in transit. I thought that the Fisheries Act allowed for search and seizure at any time?

Not looking to break any possession laws, just interesting from a "rights" perspective and makes for interesting discussion.

Anyone know?

I've attached the quote below...

2) Unless DFO disallows dressing any halibut they have no way to enforce or inspect your possession fish. DFO Fishery Officers, in the conduct of their duties can inspect your catch while in the act of fishing or handling your catch. However, once in your private vehicle, hotel room your renting, etc, DFO enforcement officer powers of "inspection" versus invasion of privacy and basic constitutional rights were challenged by a group of Alberta judges (inspected in Jasper following a sport fishing trip) which resulted in the requirement of a warrant to conduct such searches. As such, no Fishery officer or other authority can inspect your possession limit without a warrant. No different from the fact police can't inspect your home or vehicle without a warrant, except for under very limited and emergent conditions.

Tofinofish
03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Can't comment on the specific laws of enforcement checking your catch, but my understanding is that a Federal Agent in the act of their job is able to check what is in your possession, and becomes more "grey" on access to this when you are at your private residence. I could very well be wrong, but checking your vehicle for catch possession is likley their option. I wouldn't have an issue with this having nothing to hide...would you?

For the Chinook Regs in the very Southern tip of the Island, they have been getting hammmered by Fraser River Chinook regs for a few years, and this latest one is a deadly blow....West Coast Vancouver Island and Northern Vancouver Island have been rendered safe through all this, with normal regulations for Chinook of 2 per day and 4 possession offshore. This will be the case for 2012 season once again
The highest concentration of varied Genetic Chinook Stocks travelling down the BC coast happen along Northern and West Coast Vancouver Island, and is the strength and stability of our Fishery..Feeling very fortunate for that!!! This same mixed stock fishery has helped our area have the highest catch numbers of Chinook for the past 3 years for sure. Maybe not the biggest genetics, but the most abundant.
I hope my friends in the South Island can weather this one....More proof that the Canadian Gov't needs to inject a few more $$ into Salmon enhancement like the USA.

Scott h
03-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I would not take someones legal advice off the internet (including mine).
What I can tell you is that I get checked on the average around 3-4 times a season by the fisheries guys. I was boarded once last season while offshore by the officers in a zodiak and all the other times while my boat was either on the ramp or on the trailer. Obviously not fishing in either case. They also routinely check vehicles waiting in the ferry line up , mostly truck/campers with boats. These cases all took place up in the Charlottes. I have also been pulled over twice for "check stops" on the back roads up the Yakoun River and a couple of times on the #16 just east of Prince Rupert. So watch your limit very carefully, they have always been very nice , but serious also.

fishmonger
03-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I agree with your comments re being careful. Stick to the regs and save yourself the headache. It's not worth getting your boat and gear confiscated. Follow the rules and no one gets hurt :).

This however is great fodder for discussion. I could not see myself challenging a vehicle search, but it would be interesting to talk to someone who has.

bikerman
03-23-2012, 06:40 PM
This might not be popular, but I've never understood why salmon rec fisherman have to keep, keep, keep, especially on charters. They've been doing it for generations. I've been on charters where the guides just can't believe I would spent all that money, then throw them back. Maybe it's just me.
I also agree that it is hypocritical and bloody insulting to exclude the native fishery from the regs. But that's another HUGE can of worms.

greylynx
03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
The people in BC have not figured out catch and release.

Fill that garbage bag full of fish, and when the game warden comes, tell some stories about that little camper from Alberta who actually is a CnR guy.

Meanwhile you see the locals running into the bush to hide their stash of fish.

I used to call the game wardens in B.C. a bunch of stupid half wits for not catching the locals.

The way I figure it now is that the B.C. game wardens know what is happening and don't have the balls to do anything against the locals.

B.C. fishing is going downhill and it is going downhill fast, just like it did in Alberta.

Bikerman is so correct.

He mentioned the native catch, and from what happens in PR is absolutely disgusting.

The golden salmonid can just lay so many eggs.

Serengeti Charters
03-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Not sure how you can make that assumption Grey Lynx...about BC not figuring out catch and release. I know many anglers who practice it and the fishery is definitely not going downhill like Alberta's...not even close. Halibut is the best managed fishery in the world by the IPHC, and salmon runs, while some are in trouble, others are doing extremely well...especially those in the states which we still reep the rewards of.

Scott h
03-24-2012, 02:12 PM
The people in BC have not figured out catch and release.

Fill that garbage bag full of fish, and when the game warden comes, tell some stories about that little camper from Alberta who actually is a CnR guy.

Meanwhile you see the locals running into the bush to hide their stash of fish.

I used to call the game wardens in B.C. a bunch of stupid half wits for not catching the locals.

The way I figure it now is that the B.C. game wardens know what is happening and don't have the balls to do anything against the locals.

B.C. fishing is going downhill and it is going downhill fast, just like it did in Alberta.

Bikerman is so correct.

He mentioned the native catch, and from what happens in PR is absolutely disgusting.

The golden salmonid can just lay so many eggs.

I guess you missed the part where I said I've been checked 3-4 season by the "BC half wits". I was safe because I didn't go over my limit (C&R but if it bleeds it goes on the BBQ). I never do.But I did get checked and I'm a BC resident.
I'm not sure where your info on the fishing going downhill came from, I've not noticed it doing that. Maybe someones come out to fish for salmon or halibut and not "limited out" ( I'm one of the few that doesn't mind the reduced limits). That in my opinion is not indicative of anything. Some days are on fire, others not so much. That's fishing ( or hunting for that matter ). I keep a place up in Masset that I get up to 2-3 times a year. Some trips are timed perfect with non stop "fish on" and other times we may wait an hour or so for a bite. That has much more to do with runs coming through and the ability of who's fishing to entice what's down there, than how the overall fisheries being managed.
If you don't believe me come on out to the coast and try it:)
Calgary-Vancouver 12 Hr drive (Van isle add 2 Hr ferry ride)
Calgary-Prince Rupert 16 Hr drive (QCI add 6 Hr ferry ride)

bardfromedson
03-24-2012, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=bikerman;1359799]This might not be popular, but I've never understood why salmon rec fisherman have to keep, keep, keep, especially on charters. They've been doing it for generations. I've been on charters where the guides just can't believe I would spent all that money, then throw them back. Maybe it's just me.
I also agree that it is hypocritical and bloody insulting to exclude the native fishery from the regs. But that's another HUGE can of worms.[/QUOT

My freezer is empty before salmon season and hunting season starts. i keep all my fish from the coast because my family loves to eat it instead of the crap they sell in the store but to each his own. i would agree with reduced limits if the commies and natives took the brunt of the hair cut once in a while. lets all cross our fingers for record returns this year and it will only help out the future of the fishery.

greylynx
03-24-2012, 05:30 PM
I am talking about inland fresh water fishing.

But I imagine my assertions could be extrapolated to Sal****er.

Also, am I going to believe people who have to cover their capital expenditures of being in the guided fishing business. No way.

I am a catch and release fisherman, and the people of British Columbia do not understand the concept......yet.....but.... it will be coming... when it is too late. Just like in Alberta

Serengeti Charters
03-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I am talking about inland fresh water fishing.

But I imagine my assertions could be extrapolated to Sal****er.

Also, am I going to believe people who have to cover their capital expenditures of being in the guided fishing business. No way.

I am a catch and release fisherman, and the people of British Columbia do not understand the concept......yet.....but.... it will be coming... when it is too late. Just like in Alberta

Well, you're wrong when it comes to sal****er. Many big fish are released every year and the ones leading the way are lodges and guides as many have incentive programs for C + R of big fish or prizes (ie hats, jackets, shirts, hooks for hats etc). Your comment on sal****er fishing in BC is ill informed. if you don't believe me, ask any of the twenty something AO members that came with us over the past few years how since 2008 the fishing has only gotten better and better...and this year we have over 35 AO members coming, so they can attest to it as well.

BGSH
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
A motion was passed to ignore D.F.O

http://bcove.me/3grr4nf4

Scott h
03-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Last year they closed the troll fishery for chinook down very early due to concerns for the WCVI . There were a ton of springs around but they took too many that were heading back to a certain area. The commercial guys were up in arms and spitting mad but in the end it stayed closed . When we're fishing in the salt it's a mixed stock fishery and they set the laws protecting the brood stock for the lowest return area's. In the end you can't pick and choose which laws you obey unless your prepared to get nailed with a hefty fine and possible forfeiture of your gear. I'd like to see how many of these guys are willing to back up their bravado with their $70K Northrivers.

Lefty-Canuck
03-25-2012, 09:22 AM
In the video they mentioned the Natives were in favour of the new restrictions as well.....does that mean they have to follow the same restrictions as the sport fisherman?

If they don't .....no wonder they are in favour :)

LC :)

Scott h
03-25-2012, 09:45 AM
In the video they mentioned the Natives were in favour of the new restrictions as well.....does that mean they have to follow the same restrictions as the sport fisherman?

If they don't .....no wonder they are in favour :)

LC :)

No they have a whole different set of opening dates. That's a big part of the reason so many guys are pi#@ed off out here. It doesn't matter what the DFO opens or closes , it will make somebody mad.

Tofinofish
03-25-2012, 10:37 AM
This might not be popular, but I've never understood why salmon rec fisherman have to keep, keep, keep, especially on charters. They've been doing it for generations. I've been on charters where the guides just can't believe I would spent all that money, then throw them back. Maybe it's just me.
I also agree that it is hypocritical and bloody insulting to exclude the native fishery from the regs. But that's another HUGE can of worms.

We believe it, support it and see it often. Saying that, we also support fishing to limits if the guest so chooses. I eat Seafood too, and don't blame someone for wanting to put some in the freezer for sustenance.

silverdoctor
03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
They are expecting low chinook returns this year, makes sense to go draconian if the fish aren't there. BC fisheries are in bad enough shape as it is from what i understand.

odoyle
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Just a thought on the size restrictions. Many of these Chinooks travel well over 1000kms upstream to reach their spawning beds. Perhaps this regulation will enable a greater number of larger fish to attempt this journey. And perhaps the larger fish have a greater probability of successfully spawning, compared to smaller fish, resulting in more fish in the future.

Also, increasing the number of larger fish that can potentially reproduce will increase the number of large fish-genes to the pool and increase the proportion of larger fish in the population.

Just a couple theories.

greylynx
03-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Every year the numbers of salmonids gets lower and lower.

It is time to quit making bxllshxt excuses.

Look at friggin Newfoundland.

The same thing is happening on the westcost.

And you guides darn well know it.

Don't try to fluff up the story, we are not stupid in Alberta.

fluxcore
03-25-2012, 04:39 PM
What's wrong with two fish a day? I think the DFO is finally comming to its sences, if u can afford a guided trip you shouldent need to stock your freezer.

Serengeti Charters
03-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Every year the numbers of salmonids gets lower and lower.

It is time to quit making bxllshxt excuses.

Look at friggin Newfoundland.

The same thing is happening on the westcost.

And you guides darn well know it.

Don't try to fluff up the story, we are not stupid in Alberta.

I have many, many links to run predictions and returns over the past several years that prove you wrong, here is just one of them...best return to sacremento river in many years

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/10/SPV41NI146.DTL

Here's some more about good chinook returns

http://newsbriefus.info/46560/klamath-river-expected-to-see-large-increase-in-chinook-salmon-3/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Also the fraser river sockeye have had some nice returns in the past few years...including the record breaking return of 2010.

Many more articles like this...and I've already said some runs are going down, but many in the past 3 and 4 years have increased dramatically as well. I resent the fact that you are trying to say I'm fluffing anything up, I'm not. I'm about as realistic and straight forward of a lodge operator on the coast and will always tell it how it is...you're just misinformed in this instance.

Sitkaspruce
03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Just a thought on the size restrictions. Many of these Chinooks travel well over 1000kms upstream to reach their spawning beds. Perhaps this regulation will enable a greater number of larger fish to attempt this journey. And perhaps the larger fish have a greater probability of successfully spawning, compared to smaller fish, resulting in more fish in the future.

Also, increasing the number of larger fish that can potentially reproduce will increase the number of large fish-genes to the pool and increase the proportion of larger fish in the population.

Just a couple theories.

If they can dodge all the square hooks in the river, they just might have a chance.

However, you do not need just large fish to spawn, you want fish from all age classes to spawn. Big fish are just not the result of genetics, some are the results of age class. A 5-6 yo fish will be much bigger than a 3-4 yo fish. Fish are not all predetermined to a certain age.

The one thing about a size restriction is that with chinooks, you will be targeting acks, which are not sexually mature males. We use the returns of jacks to help determine ocean survival and return numbers. The loss of these jacks will further undermine the ability to predict future run size.

Cheers

SS

Sitkaspruce
03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
I have many, many links to run predictions and returns over the past several years that prove you wrong, here is just one of them...best return to sacremento river in many years

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/10/SPV41NI146.DTL

Here's some more about good chinook returns

http://newsbriefus.info/46560/klamath-river-expected-to-see-large-increase-in-chinook-salmon-3/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Also the fraser river sockeye have had some nice returns in the past few years...including the record breaking return of 2010.

Many more articles like this...and I've already said some runs are going down, but many in the past 3 and 4 years have increased dramatically as well. I resent the fact that you are trying to say I'm fluffing anything up, I'm not. I'm about as realistic and straight forward of a lodge operator on the coast and will always tell it how it is...you're just misinformed in this instance.

David

Have you heard anything about any restrictions up our way about the possible protection of Chinooks to feed the "starving" killer whales, after the greenies took DFO to court to help the whales???

Greylynx

as a non fishing guide, just a local rec angler who gets out to chase the salmon as they migrate by, I can tell you that since I moved back to the Island, I have seen a steady increase in the opportunity to catch salmon. Pinks, sockeye, chum and chinook numbers have been steady to increasing, while coho on the inside have been hanging on, but increasing on the West Coast.

I don't believe that most people who have this kind of lively hood will BS, especially on a hunt/fish forum, and expect the stay in the business.

Just my views from the North Island.

Cheers

SS

Serengeti Charters
03-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Those Killer Whale restrictions were not for our area, but for the southern Vancouver Island pod as it is listed as endangered while our northern island pods are listed as just threatened...just read the DFO report 2 days ago on protecting whale habitat actually.

Tofinofish
03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
They are expecting low chinook returns this year, makes sense to go draconian if the fish aren't there. BC fisheries are in bad enough shape as it is from what i understand.

With all due respect, "From what you understand" may be taken out of context of very specific runs that are still of concern. If you take a headline from mainstream Media as gospel, without learning the true details, it can be very misleading to say the least.
I would ask yourself and Greylynx to not paint the B.C. Coast Salmon Fishery with such a broad and negative brush unless you have proof to back up your comments. For more of my reasoning, please see this post. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1364343#post1364343)
There are, and will likely always be, time and area closures to protect Terminal Runs of Salmon. This is done up and down the coast, and for the most part, done with good reason. I have been part of creating and implementing serious Chinook Salmon protection regulations for Terminal Runs in my home area, while still enjoying the highest catch rate of Chinook Salmon on the BC coast for the last two years based on DFO data. This abundant catch of Chinook and Coho is not based on a "Free for All - Kill the last one mentality" but based on Very Abundant and Transient mixed stocks of Salmon, most of which are part of the PST with the USA
For the BC coast to be experiencing one of the best regimes of Ocean Survival Conditions for Salmon in decades, and the overall forecast to be as strong as it, it is ludicrous to claim the BC coast Salmon Fishery is at "Rock Bottom"
Regarding other comments about charter operators embellishing information to create bookings.....out of many hundreds if not thousands on the BC coast, I'm sure this happens but it is a transparent enough industry for these types to get filtered out of the long term mix of honest business operators. Ask for referrals - Caveat emptor.....

BGSH
03-28-2012, 08:07 AM
They probably need stronger nets if they are going to keep having fish farms a recent storm could have let salmon escape.

http://video.cheknews.ca/services/player/bcpid1011606683001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA4mHNTzE~,ejlzBnG UUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=1533171408001