PDA

View Full Version : Does Fly Tying Really Save Money?

24/7 fishing
03-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Well just sitting at my tying desk and looking at the money i've spent on the materials. I am fairly new to tying probably 8 months, but have spent easily 250 bucks on materials, vice, tools etc... the list of stuff needed just goes on and on! I am just wondering what everyone thinks about this? Does it really save money?

badger
03-17-2012, 10:20 PM
No.

But does going fishing save you money?

uplander
03-17-2012, 10:31 PM
No it's just fun.

hacman
03-17-2012, 10:36 PM
You won't be saving yourself a pile of cash but once you've created some flies of your own and fooled a few trout with them, it makes it all worthwhile.

Dust1n
03-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Yup if you only buy the materials you need and keep it simple.

Foam Hoppers-$2.99

Essentails:
vise-$9.99
bobbin-$3.99
thread-$.99
scissors-$3.99
whip finish-$5.99

Fly Tying Materials: Hopper
Hooks-$6.99
Foam-$1.99
Rubber legs-$2.99
No fray wing-$1.99
Dubbing-2.99

So your looking at $50 for the basic kit and at about 3 bucks a hopper you must tie 17 hoppers to break even but if you want to invest in a better vise then the ones at walmart it will cost alot more.

Keep them simple and it will save you money.

Foam fly coasted next to nothing to make with wings, legs, foam, hook and thread.

Its the labor your mostly paying for not the actual fly.

pikergolf
03-17-2012, 11:15 PM
The tools are a fairly chunky investment at the beginning, but once you are set up, then yes it's a substantial savings if you don't count your time. The funny thing is we keep buying stuff without ever running out of anything, if a guy only bought materials for flies that you would normally buy you'd be good, but it is a bit of an addiction.

fish gunner
03-17-2012, 11:30 PM
if you try to tie to save money you never will. if you tie to be a proficient fish fooler you will. I tie large bucktail streamers well enough to sell. now I tie to buy new what ever I wish. my flys have paid for countless derbys, trips. and now pay for them selves. one deer tail costs 4$ I mite get 50 flys that all sell for 4$ or more. I tie because I love too not to make/ save money, but I am now good enought it pays for its self.

ericlin0122
03-17-2012, 11:34 PM
never. the more your tie, the more ideas you come up, the more money you spend. it's endless...

Don Andersen
03-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Look @ it this way.

Lake vest & boat <>3,000 flies
Stream vest <>2,000 flies
Back-up box <>1,500 flies
Or 6,500 @ $1.50 each = $9750

Vise got 2 of them <> $900
Bobbins got 10 of them <> $200
Scissors got 6 of them <> $150
Misc equipment <>$500

Hooks @ 3,000 on hand <>$400
Feather capes <> 25 @ $40 ea= $1,000
Misc stuff - <>$2,000
Total for materials <> $5,000

Saving about $4,000
Time spent learning how to tie what you can't buy <>50 years.

catch ya'

Don

kritofr
03-18-2012, 08:26 AM
For the most part it doesn't but with some patterns it will.

Everyone who says it does never puts a value to their time spent; with the caveat of what pattern you like to tie. Some flies will only take a couple minutes to tie where others can take 10-20 minutes.

I got into tying when I was guiding on the Bow and it was more out necessity than savings. None of the shops were open by the time I would get off the river, so I would have to go home a replenish the flies that were lost through out the day. Now I do it as I don't like to sit in front of the tv. My hands always have to be doing something.

Lornce
03-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Just do the math, figure out how many flies you need to tie to pay for the materials that you spend money one. Most people don't come close to making it pay. It is great for a hobby though.

CeeZee
03-18-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm not a fly tyer, but my thoughts is that its a hobby, much the same as fishing, hunting, and such, and darn it they all cost money!! But a person just cannot quit it lol

Jayhad
03-18-2012, 01:11 PM
I tie out of necessity, and it does save me money,f I don't count my time. I spend a good portion of the winter tying in the evenings. If I do just 40 drifts and clients loose 4 flies each, it doesn't take time to add up. I don't really enjoy tying but I don't hate it either.

Like others have said buy essentials. I have 90% of my materials are for specific patterns. If you are going to do some tying I think the most important thing to learn is consistancy and no better way than churning out the same pattern until you have it nailed. Tie 2 dozen and then move to the next pattern you have confidence in.

The first hit is the tools, but those stay with you if you buy quality.
$250 to get in not bad, wait until you upgrade your vice.....$$$

greylynx
03-18-2012, 03:16 PM
My experience:

First it is a hobby and a money saver and maker when you are a little kid.

You go to school and study about aquatic invertebrates.

That's it. You have to tie your own flies.

Great posts you guys.

jrs
03-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Don't do the math and just pretend it saves money. During the fishing season id say i have 8 to 10 boxes for different situations, average 150 flies each, therefore around 1200 flies in use. This would represent around $2000 in flies bought at the store minimum (i have lots of streamers so can't pretend they're all $1.50 flies). I likely go through 300-400 flies a summer (wear out, given away (one set a year to fundraiser event), lost etc) therefore my $3000 to $5000 investment in flytying stuff over the past 10 years doesn't seem all that bad. Its called creative accounting...

QBC
03-18-2012, 06:53 PM
If you actually figure out the actual cost of the fish you catch and eat is per pound or what the meat in the freezer costs you get hunting, you'd never actually go again....:fishing:...... :lol:

I've been tying for 30 years, it's worth every penny.

(Just started tying poppers for Pike...another $$$$$$ investment in tying.....:lol:)

Don Andersen
03-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Oh crap,

You think Fly tying is expensive, Own a pheasant dog.

Don

Doc
03-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Don hit the nail on the head. What's it worth to tie what you can't buy? I tie because I have to, my back aches after half a dozen so it's not fun for me. However, my four most productive flies can't be bought at a local tackle shop or even online for that matter so that's worth the cost right there.

Cheers,
Doc