PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Guys - I want your input!

CamoDerrick
03-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Hey guys, so I'm looking into a cheaper, mid range (semi beginner) fly rod for this up coming season. I'm looking for a 8-10' , 5-6 weight, 4 piece rod.

WSS has this deal on for a TFO Lefty,
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fly-fishing/rods/tfo-lefty-kreh-signature-series-i-vi/prod224304.html

I'm not really asking about what is the best out there, there are lots of past threads (and arguments) on that, I'm just wondering if you experts out there think this is a good price. I would prefer not to spend over $200 on the rod itself before reel, line, etc.

And if you think not, a quick steer in the right direction for what I'm looking for would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Speckle55
03-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Yes :) it will do fine enjoy

David

kinwahkly
03-18-2012, 01:10 AM
If youre going to spend any $ spend it on the rod, as the reel is just somewhere to store youre line on a 5wt, you cant go wrong with that rod.

wildcat111
03-18-2012, 06:56 AM
i know bass pro has some nice rods starting in the 100.00 range, you could probably walk out of there with a rod, decent reel, line and a pair of waders for around 350.00.

kritofr
03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Do they have the rod for that price in a 9 foot? ( I didn't bother to look at the link)

Where will you be doing most of your fishing? A 10' will be fine for nymphing the Bow but you may find it limiting on the smaller streams.

sureshot
03-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Take a look at the amundson combos, I bought one last year and am very happy with it. Or the reddington pursuit is a nice combo also. The only thing is when buying a combo change the line right away as they just throw the cheapest line on combos. Hope this helps.

Andy

fish gunner
03-18-2012, 08:54 AM
ya they are a great rod. I got one off a guy at work still in plastic. light in the hand, casts fine. just what a fly rod should be. oh and you dont need to take out a loan to own.

TrollGRG
03-18-2012, 09:09 AM
If you live in the Edmonton area, take advantage of the Fishn Hole sale this weekend. Don't bother going to the show as it is always too crowded. Instead go to one of their stores. You usually have just a few people in the store and you can talk to the employees all you want. They are very knowledgable and helpful. Tell them what you are looking at then check out what kind of deals you can get. The nice thing is that during the show the sale prices are on at the stores also - 10 to 20 percent off.

NUK SOO KOW
03-18-2012, 09:46 AM
I have three TFO's, 4-6-8 weights, I love them and the warranty's great!

silverdoctor
03-18-2012, 10:31 AM
My go to rod is a TFO signature series 4 pc, 5 wt, 8'6" mixed with an amundsen TXS reel. Great little combo and you can't beat TFO warranty, had to use it twice last year. No questions asked, pay $30 and they replace what's broken.

Don't go too cheap with rods and reels, i bought a starter kit to get back into flyfishing a bunch of years ago - realized after purchasing a couple of others that it was like casting a broomstick.

There is some great used stuff floating around too.

cooler
03-18-2012, 10:46 AM
The rod you suggested is fine, you might also want to check out Costco's Amundson's package. You get a whole bunch of fly fishing gear with the rod and real combo

Flyfisher87
03-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I had a TFO 5-6wt 2 piece that I got from the Fishin Hole for around $95.00. Absolutely loved that rod. Very light and comfortable. Sold it to a gentleman on here last summer. You can't go wrong with this brand in my opinion.

npauls
03-18-2012, 12:58 PM
here is the Amundson combo available through costco. They have 5,6, and 8wt.
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10341748&search=Amundson&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=Amundson&Ntt=Amundson&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

flygirrl
03-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Bought the Amundson wind warrior Stillwater rod and reel last year. Love it

npauls
03-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Bought the Amundson wind warrior Stillwater rod and reel last year. Love it

I picked up the wind warrior 5wt stillwater just a few weeks ago and paired it up with the Amundson Diablo cassette reel so that I would have plenty of extra spools for a bunch of lines. I have only used it once but it sure is nice for punching nymphing rigs into the wind and mending line.

slivers86
03-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I got the 4 wt TFO last year as my first rod, and it worked well for me, its patiently awaiting stream season right now... its all ready to go though :)

BBT
03-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Check out the Winston Passport if you can.

CamoDerrick
03-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone

I'm going to have to look more closely at those amundson combos. I've heard of them before, but didn't really research them in depth. Was at the show this weekend and had a 10'6" rod in my hands, didn't realize how truly long that is until you hold it up :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I did buy a cheap, $40 fly fishing rod and reel last year just to get into it. Needless to say its quite difficult to "get into" it with such a poor quality set up. I kept getting frustrated at the 10 foot cast of 20 feet of limp line :angry3:

I'll have to head over to the fishing hole some time soon, too bad I missed going their this weekend (was at the show every day :sHa_shakeshout:)

Great response, its nice to be able to reach so many experienced anglers at once. Thanks again.