PDA

View Full Version : My Hardwater Is Done

Daceminnow
03-18-2012, 03:54 PM
sad day today. filed away the ice gear for another year. with the closure of most waters this week and commitments the next few weekends i decided to bite the bullet and do the deed. sad day indeed. i hate this day every year. oh well, fly gear has been in the truck now for a couple weeks. time to turn the page on this years ice season. anyone else pack away the short rods this week-end?

Dace

clean up and drain the auger.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3550.jpg

break down the rods and clean up the ice tackle.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3543.jpg

pull all the the rigs off the tip-ups and wash out the sled.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3548.jpg

hang the shacks up for another long summer.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3544.jpg

have a nice sleep everybody, i'll see you again in the next season.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3558.jpg

something brought a smile to my face today. a couple dry boxes. oh big eats off the top, can't wait!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3554.jpg

harrydude
03-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Do you tie your own flys

Guitarplayingfish
03-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Yesterday morning I packed all my gear away for hardwater and got my fly-gear ready.. Used it Yesterday night and today... I can't wait for everything to open up!

npauls
03-18-2012, 04:38 PM
I packed up my ice gear last weekend and put it away. I now need to get a hoist set up for the garage so I can lift it into the rafters.

I have had the fly gear in the truck for a couple weeks now also and used it last week to get into some decent sized bows.

I will probably head out a few times this week to try and tag into some more of the bows.

tacklerunner
03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
hang the shacks up for another long summer.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3544.jpg

Nice job on the sled hangers.

Lots of deals on ice gear right now. Think you need a few more rods.:scared0018:

silverdoctor
03-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I only made it out on the ice a few times this year, pretty sad. it's flyfishing season now anyhow and it's great to slip on the waders and hit Lady Bow again.

FishingFrenzy
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Sad day :( :(

What are you guys doing to prep your power augers for storage?? This is my first year with the auger so not really sure..
Im thinking:

Clean up the blades, spray some WD40 on them to keep the rust off
Empty gas tank, run it till it dies
Pull the plug out and squirt a bit of 2-stroke oil in the cylinder then pull it over a couple time to lubricate everything
Put the plug back in
Put it in the shed

Sound about right?

Teamprotz
03-18-2012, 04:49 PM
By emptying the tank and running it out of fuel don't you dry the diaphragm out?

Flyfisher87
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I was hoping to squeeze in another trip, but it isn't going to happen as I too have played in the Bow once already with my ultra-light gear. Camping, hiking, and golfing is just around the corner for me.

BobLoblaw
03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Dang, Dace; you are so organized!
I've been done for a few weeks, now; still have a bunch of gear in the trunk of my car!:)

HunterDave
03-18-2012, 05:03 PM
What are you guys doing to prep your power augers for storage??

I'm going to do what you wrote but I'll be adding a bit of stabilizer to the fuel before running it out of gas.

WayneChristie
03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Dace you do know an organized garage is the sign of a sick mind eh? :sHa_sarcasticlol:
unloaded the truck this week, have to sort and clean it all the next few days. I leave whats left of the gas in my auger til next season then dump it, to keep the seals wet. worked so far for me.

kinwahkly
03-18-2012, 05:19 PM
went out to today to Gull, good day on whites, going next friday one more time and thats it.

npauls
03-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I leave the stailized gas in my auger also. I have heard it is bad to leave the tank dry so I have always left gas in mine.

HunterDave
03-18-2012, 06:05 PM
I leave the stailized gas in my auger also. I have heard it is bad to leave the tank dry so I have always left gas in mine.

I guess that I'll have to read the manual for once.....lol.

harrydude
03-18-2012, 06:10 PM
I try to use my auger year round but got kicked off the rink

Alberta Bigbore
03-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Holy Mr.Organized!!! Good stuff!

Lefty-Canuck
03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
I requested the mods remove the pics that I find so offensive from this thread....

Also, if my wife ever sees this the old.... "Everyone's garage looks like this!", just ain't gonna fly.....

LC :)

fishdude17
03-18-2012, 08:00 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:Sad day :( :(

What are you guys doing to prep your power augers for storage?? This is my first year with the auger so not really sure..
Im thinking:

Clean up the blades, spray some WD40 on them to keep the rust off
Empty gas tank, run it till it dies
Pull the plug out and squirt a bit of 2-stroke oil in the cylinder then pull it over a couple time to lubricate everything
Put the plug back in
Put it in the shed

Sound about right?

I leave the fuel in my auger once ice season is done. A couple times a month while out in the garage I fire it up for 5 mins. Never had any issues with gas going bad or anything. At the beginning of each season, I clean the air filter, change the motor oil and change the gear box oil. Remove and check the spark plug condition and gap, replace if needed. As for putting WD-40 on the blades, never done that and have never had my blades rust. It is a sad day when all the ice gear gets put away, but it only means that walking the rivers is shortly ahead :sHa_shakeshout:

FishingFrenzy
03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:

I leave the fuel in my auger once ice season is done. A couple times a month while out in the garage I fire it up for 5 mins. Never had any issues with gas going bad or anything. At the beginning of each season, I clean the air filter, change the motor oil and change the gear box oil. Remove and check the spark plug condition and gap, replace if needed. As for putting WD-40 on the blades, never done that and have never had my blades rust. It is a sad day when all the ice gear gets put away, but it only means that walking the rivers is shortly ahead :sHa_shakeshout:

Sounds good, thanks!

Albertafisher
03-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Thank god it's over. I can't wait to fly fish!!!!!!

Daceminnow
03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Do you tie your own flys

nope. my son does all the fly tying. does a fine job for a young fella too.

By emptying the tank and running it out of fuel don't you dry the diaphragm out?

i just dump the fuel out of the tank. don't run anything dry. no different than winterizing any of my summer equipment. i have never had any issues with anything by emptying fuel tanks before storage.

I requested the mods remove the pics that I find so offensive from this thread....

Also, if my wife ever sees this the old.... "Everyone's garage looks like this!", just ain't gonna fly.....

LC :)

in order to make room for the summer gear to come down i need to get some of the winter gear up off the floor. waders are hanging now where the snow pants were, and i am able to access the corner of the garage to get at the rest of the summer rods now. another juggle happens in the fall to access any tree stands that aren't still in the field. only so much room in the gear cave, gotta keep er some what organized.

Thank god it's over. I can't wait to fly fish!!!!!!

no ice fishing? gotta tie flys all winter i guess. i love throwing the bugs around too, but enjoy fishing through the ice just as much. fishing, is fishing. 24 - 7. 365 days of the year. that makes Dace a happy boy.

Dace

WayneChristie
03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
fishing, is fishing. 24 - 7. 365 days of the year. that makes Dace a happy boy.

Dace

Join the club :) now if only work didnt get in the way.......

icefever
03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Sorry Dace can't pack mine up yet heading up to the upper K Tuesday been having some great days there, it'll be a while before the ice comes off there, lots of snow in the last few days