PDA

View Full Version : First gophers of 2012

7mm08
03-18-2012, 06:03 PM
I was at the range today playing around with my 50cal BP rifle. Punching some paper and making a lot of smoke. Before heading home I decided to have a peek in a friend's pasture to see how much snow was left. Low and behold...a couple gophers were waddling about. I got 3 :) ...and its amazing what a .50 cal patched round ball does to a gopher. Oh, the carnage. Wish I had gotten it on video.

Alberta Bigbore
03-18-2012, 06:13 PM
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/spock_orly.gif

very jealous...its almost that time of year!!!!

colin455
03-18-2012, 06:21 PM
LOL. Was in edm for a visit and saw 2 gophers across from the timmies on 170-114ave playing by the consrtuction trailer.
Came home to 2 fresh inches of snow and -5C cooler. :(

nick0danger
03-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Blasted a dozen or so in an hour in the horse pasture, it was a bit windy or we would of seen more of em.

Alberta Bigbore
03-18-2012, 06:44 PM
I think this is going to be a very good year for Gopher carnage

bobalong
03-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Just got back from central Sk, got a few but not to many out there yet either.

mulie4x4
03-18-2012, 07:29 PM
My son and I spent the weekend blasting gophers in the Lundbreck Falls area I was surprised how many where out even when it was snowing. Makes it easier to see them in the snow. I noticed they where very big and fat as well.

hunter0968
03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Got 20 gophers today in the pasture didnt stay to long. glad to see that the scope didnt loose zero from last year. this is around the wainwright vermillion area.

plinker
03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Got out late (around 2) and got 10 with my 17. Had to work hard to get them too. Used my caller a fair bit until they would finally stand up or take a peek. Most were 80 yard shots. Couldn't get close to them at all today.

Loki610
03-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I was out all weekend with the .270 and .17 and got quite a few!
Yesterday in the afternoon they were running around in the snowstorm. Makes them easier to see at 200 yards! The .270 impacts with the snow was hilarious, you could see where the gopher was standing because there was no snow left in about two square feet where the vmax made contact! and pink snow with parts and fur surrounding it.

762Russian
03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Just returned from scouting out the gopher patch.

Well, it WAS lively. Now there's just little bodies all over the place. :D

The rancher I hunt for has three huge fields, probably about 4 square hectares worth of field. I drove in, sat just on the opposite side of the cattle gate, shot a good dozen or so, rolled another ten feet, did another five. Worked my way into the 100-yard marker beside the fence and sat there for three hours; didn't have to move. A half dozen of them would upright at any one time; spoiled for choice. And the young'uns are up and about too; had a bunch of them running around, chasing eachother's tails and play fighting. Many of these fights were subsequently broken up by a lead pill traveling at roughly the speed of sound. :D

More than few decided to hang around within ten feet of me as well; two of the little ones were fighting around my tire, while I was dropping bullets into their parents. Another popped up and was just nibbling grass at the fence post next to the one I was braced on.

I'd say roughly 40 dead gophers today.

Star of the show was my ancient Cooey 60 with the old Weaver B4 scope; once I had it sighted in and ranged, absolutely lethal. It put a pill through the eye of a standing gopher that was well past the 75-yard mark, one shot.

Also; first time I have witness gopher cannibalism. Heard about it of course, but first time I had actually seen it. Good bait.

ishootbambi
03-18-2012, 09:35 PM
those arent young'uns yet...gonna be a while before this years babies are out.

762Russian
03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
those arent young'uns yet...gonna be a while before this years babies are out.
Well, they were half the size of the others, and a damn challenge to pick off past 50.

ishootbambi
03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
id lay 20 bucks on it they arent. this was a topic last spring so i noted it. first babies showed up in the medicine hat area may 15th....about the time they always do.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=88799&highlight=bowkill+2011

Lefty-Canuck
03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
id lay 20 bucks on it they arent. this was a topic last spring so i noted it. first babies showed up in the medicine hat area may 15th....about the time they always do.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=88799&highlight=bowkill+2011

X2....

Babies haven't happened yet....too early.

On a side note ISB you around the week we talked about? I grabbed the WO you wanted and I'll grab the other stuff before I come. Should I bring the bow....17hmr....both :)

LC

Bull's-Eye
03-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Midget gophers maybe?

ishootbambi
03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
X2....

Babies haven't happened yet....too early.

On a side note ISB you around the week we talked about? I grabbed the WO you wanted and I'll grab the other stuff before I come. Should I bring the bow....17hmr....both :)

LC

probably both LC. theres no limits on gopher fun, so might as well maximize the chance! ill have it lined up for when you get here.

Lefty-Canuck
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
probably both LC. theres no limits on gopher fun, so might as well maximize the chance! ill have it lined up for when you get here.

Sounds good! I'll be sure to bring lots of arrows and ammo... :)

I might have to figure out where to stash my firearms when I hit the base to work....DRES usually frowns on firearms on the base...might have to hit town first and my hotel.

LC

rhuntley12
03-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Seen a couple last week. Thursday night dog was chewing on something crunchy, turned out was a gopher she was chewing on.

Saw a couple down near champion this weekend too.

moosehunter3-0
03-19-2012, 07:33 AM
I've been seeing them in Lethbridge since January lol

marlin1
03-19-2012, 07:35 AM
we got about 17 between the 2 of us on Friday . All big males , prettty sure , they were scrapping with each other , hard to see in the gold grass and dirt

YoteStopper
03-19-2012, 10:32 PM
I got a few here and there so far.....finally got to test out the .22WMR and CCI tnt 30gr hollowpoints. Very effective, if ammo was closer to .22lr prices I would adopt the round as my volume gopher medicine. It really whacks them compared to .22lr. Can't wait till things really get rolling.