PDA

View Full Version : Fishing from shore near Puerto Morelos?

Spidey
03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Now that we did the obligatory trip to Disneyland with the kids, the better half and I get to go on our own holiday at the end of the month. We're staying at the Azul Beach Hotel near Puerto Morelos. I'd like to throw in my backpack spincaster as there are piers every couple hundred yards or so and it's legal to fish without a license. I've done some research and learned that a guy can hook into small fish and even the odd baracuda!

Has anyone done this? Any advice? I'd love to bring fly gear but I don't have anything sal****er rated and I wouldn't be too depressed if I killed my spincaster with salt.

BeeGuy
03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Now that we did the obligatory trip to Disneyland with the kids, the better half and I get to go on our own holiday at the end of the month. We're staying at the Azul Beach Hotel near Puerto Morelos. I'd like to throw in my backpack spincaster as there are piers every couple hundred yards or so and it's legal to fish without a license. I've done some research and learned that a guy can hook into small fish and even the odd baracuda!

Has anyone done this? Any advice? I'd love to bring fly gear but I don't have anything sal****er rated and I wouldn't be too depressed if I killed my spincaster with salt.

My favorite way to catch cuda's is literally bobber fishing. big bobber, heavy leader with a metal leader above a fish bait.

If you get schools of cuda's moving through they will hit it at huge speeds, tearing your bobber across the surface.

I found it endlessly entertaining.

HunterDave
03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
We're headed to Secrets Silversands mid-April and I'll be taking a spincast reel with 20lb braided and a telescopic rod to play around with. We're looking for a 4th person to go on a 6 hour fishing charter if you are around on April 17 (Date is a little flexible). :)

Spidey
03-18-2012, 09:55 PM
We're headed to Secrets Silversands mid-April and I'll be taking a spincast reel with 20lb braided and a telescopic rod to play around with. We're looking for a 4th person to go on a 6 hour fishing charter if you are around on April 17 (Date is a little flexible). :)

Thanks for the offer, but we're back on the 6th. Thanks BeeGuy for the advice also. I'll be packing some good leader material!