PDA

View Full Version : Rod down the hole

BeeGuy
03-19-2012, 12:00 AM
So, got out this morning to the whitefish spot dropped down my first rig and set about to setting up the 2nd.

Not 5 minutes later a 15lb laker grabs my first rig and takes it down the hole, but not without me dropping to a knee doing my best impression of a slide into home plate and getting a wet arm in the process.

Once the water cleared the rod was nowhere to be found.

Have you ever lost a rod or tip-up down the hole?

Fish-killer
03-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I highly doubt it was a 15lb laker!

Pikecrazed
03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
I've lost countless fish that got off half way up the hole but that's it and at bonavista I saw about four rods go down this year

ice
03-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Never lost a rod or tipup but I have lost a cell phone down the hole

ogre
03-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Not yet. Knock on wood :scared0018:

Cal
03-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Never lost a rod but back in the days when Coal lake still produced some huge fish I did do a pretty impressive 50 yard dash through the shallows, couldnt quite catch my rod so I made a hail mary dive for it at the last possible second and got ahold of it, lost the fish though and he seemed like a pretty good one. As a fishing addicted kid living under the poverty line with parents who would have been pretty happy to see me give it up there was no way I was letting that rod get away!!

Lefty-Canuck
03-19-2012, 07:35 AM
I lost a jaw spreader once.....not a good idea to mess with the fish right next to the hole.....was pulling a hook that the fish took deep and in one flip it was a perfect swish nothing but hole.....

LC

isoseeker
03-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I've personally lost a Bluetooth headset & a transducer stop down the hole. But Bee, it may have been a vicious 15lb Bass that took your rod & reel ;).

Alberta Bigbore
03-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Cell phone, camera, pliers, hooks that were not tied on, and a really nice knife.

JohnnyD
03-19-2012, 07:47 AM
In December 2010 I dropped my cell phone down the hole at Pigeon Lake in 15' of water. All I could see was the small mirror on the back where the camera is. I went back the next day and drilled 4 holes close together knocking all the ice out in between. Using a large casting spoon I lowered it down the hole and luckily snagged the rubber case the phone was in. I completely disassembled the phone and dryed it out, she works great and I still have it to this day.

Geezle
03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Haven't lost a rod down the hole yet, but I've had a couple close calls and had to go shoulder deep to save one last season.

I've seen plenty of other people's stuff go down though...which is why I always bring along a big magnet to retrieve dropped items now :)

winger7mm
03-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Me Iv lost 3 rods in my fishing career, and they were ALL this season :( due to that it changed the way I ice fish

Willowtrail
03-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Lost a nice knife down the hole. Had it sitting on my lap. Stoid up and swish. Gone. Went back the next day with a magnet but the bottom was too mucky so no dice.

This season I had the cheap red rod holder go down. 12' of dirty water. Dropped down my magnet and got it out.

Also lost my auger bit this season on my eskimo shark. The allen bolt either snapped or came unscrewed. Drilled hole and went to pull up and gone. We tried to fish it out of 17' but then my camera sprung a leek and seized.

I now have a new 10" bit and marcum replaced my camera for free so it turned out ok.

gprime27
03-19-2012, 08:38 AM
QUOTE=winger7mm;1352645]Me Iv lost 3 rods in my fishing career, and they were ALL this season :( due to that it changed the way I ice fish[/QUOTE]

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcastic lol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

I watched most of them go down to! :D

FishingFrenzy
03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
I lost an axe and my favorite pair of pliers this ice season.. :(

fish gunner
03-19-2012, 08:57 AM
a few very close calls with rods. at least 2 red wire rod holders, both recovered with camera assistance. untold amount of bells, including my favorite this year which I had owned for 8 yrs . one buddy lost a scoop. a spring tip off a rod after it some how got the line half hitched when I was jigging a good sized pike. lost fish and spring tip. my first year of ice fishing I hooked a good pike that snapped me off with my best float on the line. 2 hours later a guy a hundred yards away started hootn and yelling. we wander over, jokingly I said if it has a such and such float may I have it back. his expression was priceless as my float slid on to the ice. lol.

beerhonky
03-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I was out fishing last weekend and caught a ice fishing rod on my tip up. The flag went and I ran to the tip up. Noticed about 20 feet of line was off my spool so I set the hook but no fish. Felt a little heavy as I was pulling it up and to my amazement there was a ice fishing rod and reel on the end of my hook!

thorne
03-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Last year my daughter put her rod down for 2 minutes to sip her hot chocolate and when she turned around her rod was gone....absolutely no sign of it on the camera any where...I must have drilled 20 holes in a radius looking and nothing. So what ever it was was big and moving fast..

bobalong
03-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Cell phone, camera, pliers, hooks that were not tied on, and a really nice knife.

Your going to have to take those strings off your mitts and tie them to your year LOL

Chris84
03-19-2012, 10:06 AM
My brother in law lost his rod down the hole acouple years ago. To our amazement about 3 hours later we caught a fish out of the same hole, as we pulled up the line we brought up the fish followed by some line followed by the rod he lost hours earlier.

Mike_W
03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Haven't lost a rod down the hole yet, but I've had a couple close calls and had to go shoulder deep to save one last season.

X2...it was a epic dive, splash, grab.

Once while halibut fishing in 300 FOW I caught some line one end had a mudraker attached to it $15 score the other end had a Shimano TLD ($220) attached to a Diawa VIP rod ($120) and probably $40 in tuff line. No clue how long it was down there but couldnt have been too long..Brought it home stripped down the reel cleaned it up nice and re lubed now its my favorite bottom fishing set up!!!

bushwackerdon
03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
lost a lens out of my glasses in pigeon lake 2 years ago.

crownb
03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
We were fishing at chip lake last thursday for burbot,got the first hole drilled set dowm my line in about a foot of water and immediately felt some kind of weight.I pulled up the line and I had caught an ice fishing rod with braided line and a jig attached with a barb.I wonder if the fish and feathers would have ticketed me if the were there.:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
03-19-2012, 12:49 PM
We were fishing at chip lake last thursday for burbot,got the first hole drilled set dowm my line in about a foot of water and immediately felt some kind of weight.I pulled up the line and I had caught an ice fishing rod with braided line and a jig attached with a barb.I wonder if the fish and feathers would have ticketed me if the were there.:sHa_shakeshout:

In the spring I collect a lot of gear from the shorelines of the reservoirs around Calgary and westward.

Without fail, hooks are barbed at least 4/5 times.

This also goes for flies (not mine) I remove from the faces of large trout in the Bow.

dodger
03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Last year on PCR I was there on a very cold morning. F&G showed up so I told him to come in the tent to get warm as he had to walk aways to get to me.

So after checking my license and some small talk we turned around to check my two poles. Just then the one pole shot down the hole like a bullet. I looked at him and said " you will never know now what I was using on that rod ". He almost wet himself laughing.

Dodger.

coyotezh
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM

I've seen plenty of other people's stuff go down though...which is why I always bring along a big magnet to retrieve dropped items now :)

Can your magnet fish the rod out of the hole? I just lost one yesterday. I love that one so much..it is a shimano reel so costed me 109 bucks. I really want to get it back.....

bwackwabbit
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Both this season, spiral rod holder and Aqua Vu rubber camera cable holder.

chubbdarter
03-19-2012, 01:21 PM
So, got out this morning to the whitefish spot dropped down my first rig and set about to setting up the 2nd.

Not 5 minutes later a 15lb laker grabs my first rig and takes it down the hole, but not without me dropping to a knee doing my best impression of a slide into home plate and getting a wet arm in the process.

Once the water cleared the rod was nowhere to be found.

I had a reverse experience. I pulled up a 15lb 2 oz laker with a Dora the Explorer rod and reel attached to it

Sooner
03-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I have seen some of my friends rods go down the hole. Funny how nothing bites for an hour until you put down your rod and go grab a sandwhich. Most rods were gone, a couple were grabbed just as they were going in. My uncle has quite a knack for dropping his metal ice scoop down the hole. Have fished it back up for him a few times over the years.

BeeGuy
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I had a reverse experience. I pulled up a 15lb 2 oz laker with a Dora the Explorer rod and reel attached to it

Can I have my rod back?

Jamie
03-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Best line I have heard while out fishing had something to do with this topic.

Our guide and previous owner of our Lodge, leaned over the side of the boat while talking on his cell. He had it perched between his shoulder and ear. Needless to say, he dropped it in about 200 feet of salt water.

Is he ever ****ed. Starts moaning, crying and complaining. My brothers cell starts to ring, he answers it, goes to hand it to Billy and says... "Billy phones for you, it's NEMO"

Holy crap the whole boat came unglued the laughter didn't stop for 20 minutes.
That Bro of mine is one quick witted little bugger.

Jamie

Saltmania
03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
two bells and a pair of sunglasses

BeeGuy
03-19-2012, 02:06 PM
two bells and a pair of sunglasses

The rod I lost also took my 3rd bell of the season.

Still waiting on the mail for my bucket brigadier badge

bobalong
03-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I have seen some of my friends rods go down the hole. Funny how nothing bites for an hour until you put down your rod and go grab a sandwhich. Most rods were gone, a couple were grabbed just as they were going in. My uncle has quite a knack for dropping his metal ice scoop down the hole. Have fished it back up for him a few times over the years.

I think that most people jig too much especially in the winter, when you put your rod down and the hook is at rest, this is when the fish take it. Even when jigging I usually have a wave buster float on, I jig and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes before I jig again, seems to work better in the winter. If I do have to leave the rod for a minute or two I always open the bail, havn't lost a rod yet.

waterninja
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
dropped an expensive pair of scissors down the hole today. they went point first and all i could see was the top of the handles, very soft bottom. retrieved them with the magnet that i always have in my bag of tricks.
my brother had a rod "jump" out of the boat and 3 hours later when we hoisted anchor up came the rod with 3 lbs. rainbow still on.

Lefty-Canuck
03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
If I do have to leave the rod for a minute or two I always open the bail, havn't lost a rod yet.

BINGO....thats what I do too....using a bait caster I can still have my bait suspended with the bail open.

LC

WayneChristie
03-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I anchor my rod holders, but 2 winters ago the wife went to set her camera down, bounced it off the chair and down the hole it went. had mine hanging on the back of my chair this winter, forgot about it and folded the chair, fortunately it landed on the ice.

Dewey Cox
03-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I have lost faith a number of times, but nothing else yet. Came close lots, but that's a benefit of only having a 6" auger.

fishunter
03-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Myself, I loose 1 perch rod every year. Buddy drops my pliers down the hole and another bud lost his coffee cup lid down the hole. :scared0018:we even seen it float to the bottom on the fish camera. then it sank in the soft bottom. I am going to start ti tie it off the chair while i am not watching it.

Jbone
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
One rod, one cell and a zippo, needless to say I don't keep thing on my lap any more, and try to keep a close eye on that rod.
My buddy got a nice pike the one day on the tip up outside, got wrapped in his jigging rod line but never went down hole, took my line down as well with my rod, pulled it all up the hole 15 feet away

lifesaflyin
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM
never lost a rod but lost an entire tackle box worth of lures while reaching for my rod:sign0176:

college-fisherman
03-19-2012, 08:36 PM
A big jack literally spit my jaw spreaders about 4 feet over the ice and straight down the hole.

Cal
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I think that most people jig too much especially in the winter, when you put your rod down and the hook is at rest, this is when the fish take it. Even when jigging I usually have a wave buster float on, I jig and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes before I jig again, seems to work better in the winter. If I do have to leave the rod for a minute or two I always open the bail, havn't lost a rod yet.

Bingo! I like to jig but almost always have a set line out too, when I lived near the city the set line usualy outfished the jigged line by a large margin except on the odd day or when fishing for perch. When I moved up to Slave I was surprized because relatively few people bother with tipups here but I soon found out why, I've probably went whole winters without catching a single fish on a tipup or set line. I can remember fishing for perch with a tipup baited with a nice minnow not 5 yards away, and catching pike on my tiny perch lures while my tipup was completey ignored. Well this year I finaly gave the Windlass tipups a go, and that my friends is the majic ticket up here. It doesnt outfish me as badly or as often as I was used to seeing further south with regular tipups but at least half of my pike and walleye this winter were caught on it. Funny how on different lakes/ different regions the rules can change completely.

Lefty-Canuck
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
A big jack literally spit my jaw spreaders about 4 feet over the ice and straight down the hole.

We must have caught the same "Kareem Abdul Ja-pike"....:)

I lost a jaw spreader once.....not a good idea to mess with the fish right next to the hole.....was pulling a hook that the fish took deep and in one flip it was a perfect swish nothing but hole.....

LC

LC

BeeGuy
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
We must have caught the same "Kareem Abdul Ja-pike"....:)

LC

Ja-pike is also known to shoot hooks.

The-Legend
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
One rod, one cell and a zippo, needless to say I don't keep thing on my lap any more, and try to keep a close eye on that rod.
My buddy got a nice pike the one day on the tip up outside, got wrapped in his jigging rod line but never went down hole, took my line down as well with my rod, pulled it all up the hole 15 feet away

complete cluster **** but it was a nice pike ;)

fish gunner
03-19-2012, 10:49 PM
add one more bell. at the new dickson sucker pond. :sign0176:

Bigdad013
03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Years ago, had my new lab pup with me, drilled a bunch of holes, being a goofy lab, he never saw the holes, legs went in, head bent back to his spine, as he was going down, managed to grab his back legs and up he came, he wouldn't come out of the truck the rest of the day. Couldn't really blame him

diggerrigger
03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Went out to Rupert and fishing with my Wifes "Uncle Buddy" an old retired salmon boat Captain. Wife came out of the cabin while I was jigging and said Buddy wanted to go to a different spot and to spool up. I did but left the two rigs lying in the deck not put away (stupid prairie boy)
I was in the cabin while Buddy throttled up the big volvo and watched as the weights on the lines bounced overboard followed by the rods. I was sick as I told this old man I hardly knew what had happened.I had 3 more days with him!!
The old guy laughed and said now well have to got to the tackle shop before dinner. He dropped 1400 bucks on 2 rods, reels, and new line. I offered to pay but there was no way then he took us out for dinner!
I miss that old guy with the kind soul alot. Pulled in a 100lb halibut that trip on one of the new rods.

last minute
03-20-2012, 09:53 AM

Yes i have twice not a good feeling.

Lornce
03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
A number of years ago I was ice fishing on a BC Lake for Rainbows. This couple walked up to see how I was doing and I happened to pull out a nice 16" trout. The older fellow got excited and opened his mouth to say something and his uppers shot out and hit the side of the hole skidded across the water and started to sink. Luckily I was down on the hole and had the presence of mind to scoop them out. Instead of thanking me his wife laid into him dragging him away, was tough to see the pained but grateful look on his face

BeeGuy
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
A number of years ago I was ice fishing on a BC Lake for Rainbows. This couple walked up to see how I was doing and I happened to pull out a nice 16" trout. The older fellow got excited and opened his mouth to say something and his uppers shot out and hit the side of the hole skidded across the water and started to sink. Luckily I was down on the hole and had the presence of mind to scoop them out. Instead of thanking me his wife laid into him dragging him away, was tough to see the pained but grateful look on his face

I never thought someone could lose their teeth down the hole. Maybe on the ice, but not under it. Hilarious

BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.
03-22-2012, 07:27 PM
sorry, i clicked yes because i have never lost a ROD but i have lost a bell(pike alert)
down the hole

BeeGuy
03-22-2012, 07:35 PM
sorry, i clicked yes because i have never lost a ROD but i have lost a bell(pike alert)
down the hole

Nice, I lost 3 bells so far. Had a big rainbow try and eat one off the bottom the other day..weird.

I call the bell, "The Early Warning System".

WayneChristie
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Ive lost a few bells, not through the ice, off the long rod, when I got a bite and set the hook. amazing how far they will fly off a 7 foot rod! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

falroy
03-22-2012, 11:35 PM
I've lost a rod with those red wire rod holders. I have been trying to come up with a rod holder that secures the rod and is easy to get the rod out of. this is what i came up with. you would need to drill a hole in the ice to set the holder in. i'll have to try it next year...

apprentice94
05-25-2012, 06:58 AM
2 of my dads rods almost , but i caught em wet up to the shoulders, i liked to ancor my rods and their holders with something heavy he never bothered those rods are now mine hah

RapStaff
05-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Ive lost sunglasses, rods and reels, 2 leatherman multi tools, ice fishing scoops, pliers.
Now i keep a good size magnet in one of my tackle trays.

slivers86
05-25-2012, 08:16 PM
NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.:angry3:

WayneChristie
05-25-2012, 08:43 PM

:thinking-006:

BeeGuy
05-25-2012, 11:09 PM

bahahaha,

I keep dredging my ice fishing spot from the canoe with the fleeting hope that I can recover my gear

:mad0030: