PDA

View Full Version : Skeena/Kitimat Steelhead Tips

FisherGrrrl
03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
So my next fishing adventure I'm heading to the Skeena/Kitimat area for the spring steelhead run. I booked off April 14th to 24th and been trying to gather as much info as I can.

I have never been up there before and will most likely be self-guiding the trip.
I already got the list of classified waters printed off as well as regulations.

What I'm looking for now is if anyone could offer any tips on tackle or suggestions on rivers and access points to help make this trip as successful as possible for a newbie to the area :)

I'm thinking I'll be taking my pontoon.. however I'm kinda worried about leaving it unattended at times :S.. (should I just leave it at home or is it worth bringing it along) I also will be bringing a centerpin/float rod, baitcaster/rod, and an 8wt fly rod.. and probably going to be trying them all until I find what the fish want:rolleyes:

So if anyone can help me out send me a PM if you like. Any advice would would be great :)

Thanks!

ReconWilly
03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Bottom bouncing 4 inch long pink UNSCENTED rubber worms, use a 3 way swivel and 1 to 3 oz ball and chain wieghts (depending on the rivers flow rate at the time), play around with leader length depending again on flow rate ,usually 4 - 8 ft, use 8-12 pound flourocarbon for your leader i like trilene flourocarbon, and prepare to WORK for your fish and the rewards will be just!! SO JEALOUS!! Research similar techniques used for FLOSSING Sockeye, GOOD LUCK!! and pics please.****Almost forgot**** Octopus Gamagatsu hooks are the be-all end-all hooks for any Steelheader .

alces
03-19-2012, 08:28 PM
I lived in Terrace for 4 years and lived on those rivers. Send me a PM if you want details. Don't forget the Kalum River too, it is very good and easy to access. Oh and yes bring your boat, you won't regret it.

Jamie
03-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Fisher
Here is a link to some great fish reports.
http://www.noelgyger.ca/

If you want, call Noel. He might beable to help a bit.

With you liking to travel like this, we have to get out on the big water just 1.5 hours west of there.

Jamie

The Fisherman Guy
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
We found a great Campground outside of Terrace on the Exchamsiks river, and took the jetboat down the river to the Skeena everyday. Incredible area!

The most beautiful river we saw, as most of them were blown out when we were up there, was the Kitimat. We drove up a FSR and found an empty campground on the river, and stayed for a few days.

Have fun! For all of your self guided fishing needs, talk to the guys at Northcoast Anglers. The owner was a huge help to us, and we did get into some fish. I snapped off 60lb braid on a Chinook in the Kitimat, and that fish broke it with ease.

fish gunner
03-19-2012, 11:13 PM
lucky grrrl. the kitimat /terrace area is a meca to salmon& steelhead anglers. dont forget a lighter outfit. as there is some great cuttys and dollys in both systems. dont forget to try the lakelse river just west of terrace, have caught some big fish out of it also. I would not recomend a pontoon boat on the skeena but you should be fine on the kitimat if water levels are reasonable. the drift from hierch creek park is a good day drift to get you started. good luck, tight lines.

Saltmania
03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a great trip in the works. Next year I'm going to put together an 8wt setup for pike and an (hopefull) annual trip out to the west coast for some chrome :) I have lots of family in Prince George, some of who would be sure to join me. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

FisherGrrrl
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Fisher
Here is a link to some great fish reports.
http://www.noelgyger.ca/

If you want, call Noel. He might beable to help a bit.

With you liking to travel like this, we have to get out on the big water just 1.5 hours west of there.

Jamie

Lots of info on that site thanks! I would love to go out on big water with one of your guided trips and have definately looked into it :) I will be calling you guys to head out one of these days .. maybe i'll start saving up for a lodging trip after this one.:)

FisherGrrrl
03-20-2012, 05:59 PM
And thanks for the posts :) ! Hopefully I can come back with a bunch of pictures

Jamie
03-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Lots of info on that site thanks! I would love to go out on big water with one of your guided trips and have definately looked into it :) I will be calling you guys to head out one of these days .. maybe i'll start saving up for a lodging trip after this one.:)

Fisher.. Its cheaper than you think. You should get in touch.
Best of luck on your trip.

Jamie

fishpro
03-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Although you'll be there quite early, check with the shops when you get there as there may be a few springs running up the Kalum already.

Good luck with your trip, I hear steelhead are very addicting!! I'm heading out this summer to hit the salmon and steelhead runs in July and August.

Rockymtnx
03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Fisher.. Its cheaper than you think. You should get in touch.
Best of luck on your trip.
Jamie
FisherGrrrl, all the big water pics from 2011 that you seen on my page were from Jamie's Lodge. I think those pics speak for themselves. :)

FisherGrrrl
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
FisherGrrrl, all the big water pics from 2011 that you seen on my page were from Jamie's Lodge. I think those pics speak for themselves. :)

Lol most definitely they do

FisherGrrrl
04-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Well Im off! Should be arriving early in the morning tomorrow, thanks to all who replied for all the advice :) hopefully I can come back in 11 days with some steelhead pics to share. :sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
04-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Well Im off! Should be arriving early in the morning tomorrow, thanks to all who replied for all the advice :) hopefully I can come back in 11 days with some steelhead pics to share. :sHa_shakeshout:

Good Luck

30-30
04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
If you fish the Kitimat river park just outside the fish hatchery gate and walk
down stream to the boundry marker and you will catch steelies all day, pink wool and bottom bounce. ( I lived there for 35 years) I moved to get away from all the tourists in the summer months fighting over "their" spot on the river.:argue2:

BeeGuy
04-12-2012, 11:18 PM
X2 on the lakelse river.

Park at the tracks on the thunderbird and hoof it to the river.

I can't speak about this time of the season or the reg's however.

Lots of nice holding water, but tight quarters and lots of lumber and logjams.

waterninja
04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
hope you have a safe journey and great fishing. i was near there ffrom spring to fall on a job and what i remember is that the salmon runs started in the spring with springs then pinks then sockeye then chinook and the steelhead didn't run untill fall.hope you get a chance for steelhead as your going to be clser to the ocean

FisherGrrrl
04-13-2012, 02:55 PM
hope you have a safe journey and great fishing. i was near there ffrom spring to fall on a job and what i remember is that the salmon runs started in the spring with springs then pinks then sockeye then chinook and the steelhead didn't run untill fall.hope you get a chance for steelhead as your going to be clser to the ocean

Ya there is a short steelhead run in the spring then a longer run in the fall. Made it safe after driving all night through a snow storm. Time to hit the river :)

one shot
04-13-2012, 03:03 PM
peachy king wool, colorado, if bait is alowed prawns, roe, pink worms, trout beads, flat fish, use them all, gotta move alot, 10min a spot, flys, work great egg sucking leach, pink bucktails, egg patterns,

morgan
04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Last weeks big fish for me from Skeena Country
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u375/boombah1/IMG_0042.jpg

waterninja
04-14-2012, 03:48 AM
glad to hear you made it safely. i'm betting that those b.c. hillbillys will be shocked that a woman knows how to fish.

newdrenalin
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
I was born in Kitimat and raised in Terrace. I have fished alot on all the rivers in the area. Your best bet for Steelhead at this time of year would be the Kalum followed by the Lakelse if its open. PM me if you some location.

FisherGrrrl
04-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Had an Awesome day today and floated a river in the pontoon boats. Two steelhead pulled in! One wild and one hatchery. I can't take credit for either but its nice knowing we are on the right track on day one of the trip. I caught a bunch of rainbows, their colouring is really unique out here! Doing the upper section of the river tomorrow..and then trying this kalum river you all speak of ;)

waterninja
04-15-2012, 04:36 AM
very glad to here you landed some steelies. b.c. bows do look different from alta's (more silver?). whats the weather like? do you still get a free b.c. fisheries ball cap when you turn in the tag from a steelhead? good luck on the rest of your trip and watch out for the bears.

newdrenalin
04-15-2012, 03:10 PM
X2 on the lakelse river.

Park at the tracks on the thunderbird and hoof it to the river.

I can't speak about this time of the season or the reg's however.

Lots of nice holding water, but tight quarters and lots of lumber and logjams.

I have fished this area alot.Lots of nice pools in there. Some really good cutthroat fishing this time of year too. Shot a couple moose in the Thunderbird area too.

FisherGrrrl
04-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Yes! Yesturdays float.. second hole.. I pulled in my first west coast steelie. Was about a 13 pound hatchery buck!

The Fisherman Guy
04-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Nice job FG!

Let's see some of your pictures, that part of the world is incredible!

Congrats on your first Steelie!

horsetrader
04-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Nice catch congrates

waterninja
04-16-2012, 12:04 PM
good for you! it's going to be tough fishing back in alberta after getting spoiled down there.