PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust Minnows

Rosaire1
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Used to be able to buy minnows in sawdust. It made it a lot easier to pull em apart when frozen. Anyone know if they still exist?

Cal
03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I dont know about the sawdust thing but when I buy a new tub of minnows the first thing I do is thaw them out, put them into baggies, no need to thaw and refreeze the whole tub everytime you go fishing, turns the minnows into mush. Then put a good amount of table or pickling salt in the bags and shake them to cover the minnows. The salt prevents the minnows from freezing into a solid block and makes them easy to put on the hook, it also toughens them up and keeps them on the hook way longer. The first few trips you will get a bunch of minnow juice/ salt slurry in the bottom of the bag, for best results dump this out and put more salt in, the more minnow juice you can get rid ouf the tougher your minnows get. I've also heard of guys putting them in the sun for a few hours to dry them, which apparently will accomplish the same thing.

BeeGuy
03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I dont know about the sawdust thing but when I buy a new tub of minnows the first thing I do is thaw them out, put them into baggies, no need to thaw and refreeze the whole tub everytime you go fishing, turns the minnows into mush. Then put a good amount of table or pickling salt in the bags and shake them to cover the minnows. The salt prevents the minnows from freezing into a solid block and makes them easy to put on the hook, it also toughens them up and keeps them on the hook way longer. The first few trips you will get a bunch of minnow juice/ salt slurry in the bottom of the bag, for best results dump this out and put more salt in, the more minnow juice you can get rid ouf the tougher your minnows get. I've also heard of guys putting them in the sun for a few hours to dry them, which apparently will accomplish the same thing.

Great advice. I will have to do this.