PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt Icefishing Trailer

CeeZee
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
So I got it built and only used it twice, too bad my old truck was a POS.

With the pics you can see what it started out as, I built my own walking beams for the tandems that are removable, the only materials I purchased was the lumber and the futon, the rest was all salvaged materials even some stuff from the mall (dump).
Its 8 x 14.5, can sleep 3 adults and the bunk which is designed for kids or some lighter then most guys I know lol. I have a small converter built in with a 12v deep cycle battery, wired to the counter for 120v and 2 12volt undercabinet lights, then in the TV shelf there is 12v as well as 120v there. Still not finished the inside, and I am glad we used it before its finished as it shows how i need to finish the cabinets and drawers. I do need a better stove for it, a bit smaller and thicker walled, this shack is very easy to heat but i still chose wood heat cuz ya just cant match it!
Also will be adding an enclosed V-nose for wood storage, ice auger, chisel etc.

In about 15 to 20 mins I can have holes drilled and lowered. I havent got a weight on it yet but it is pretty darn light. I had to be sure it was light to be legal as I do not have trailer brakes on it, but i am sure it is about 1500lbs.

Yup thats her, needs some cleaning up still, some color on the trim, a couple more windows(once i salvage somemore lol) and a name for it.

:bad_boys_20:

CeeZee
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
!

CeeZee
03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
and more

WayneChristie
03-19-2012, 08:05 PM
looking good. now throw some pontoons on it and make it a year rounder! already missing the ice here

CeeZee
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
thats funny cuz me and a buddy were just joking about the pontoon thing, and hey i did build the roof strong enuf to walk on as well......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the local angler
03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
right on man thats a cool project. with the trailer and just a frame and panels must be incredibly light. i am have and old camper thats ready for the dump and i am tempted to salvage the windows and such to build something myself for next season.great job man

WayneChristie
03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
one of those inflatable hot tubs and you are good to go! heat it off the wood stove, use it year around. now quit giving me ideas, already got too much stuff to do :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Albertadiver
03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Sweet rig! That's the way to do 'er

fishunter
03-19-2012, 08:16 PM
There is a place in saskatoon that customizes trailers and they have the wheels flip up so the trailer sits on the ground/ice, You may want to take a look at them, That is one nice shack you got happening there. right on

CeeZee
03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
There is a place in saskatoon that customizes trailers and they have the wheels flip up so the trailer sits on the ground/ice, You may want to take a look at them, That is one nice shack you got happening there. right on
I put alot of serious thought into the manufactured ones, but they were heavier and all the holes did not have seats at them, I am pretty sure I will modify my wheel system to be lowered with an electric winch instead of the screw jack system currently on there, its just those jacks were free lol

the local angler
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
airbags would be way cool, flick of a switch and its done.

fishunter
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I put alot of serious thought into the manufactured ones, but they were heavier and all the holes did not have seats at them, I am pretty sure I will modify my wheel system to be lowered with an electric winch instead of the screw jack system currently on there, its just those jacks were free lol

you might have some luck at some auto wreckers on the screw jacks

Coldone
03-19-2012, 10:28 PM
What an awesome thread!! Great build project! Hope ya get a chance to use it a bit more next year!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Awesome rig

Coldone
03-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Oh great... Now I'm going to hafta empty out the toys in the garage... Find an old trailer.. And get to building!! Darn it!! My wife's gonna kill me! LOL

MoFugger21
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
That's a pretty wicked rig!! Well done!!

Just curious, but wouldn't it have been easier to start off with an older flat deck though? Or was it something about the frame/wheels/axles/etc that you wanted from that trailer?

CeeZee
03-20-2012, 06:41 AM
That's a pretty wicked rig!! Well done!!

Just curious, but wouldn't it have been easier to start off with an older flat deck though? Or was it something about the frame/wheels/axles/etc that you wanted from that trailer?
Well the reason I started with this was simple, I had a registered trailer to work with(as i understood that to get a serial number is already a pain never mind the axels i made), multiple items were salvageable such as: windows, door, cushions, furnace, sink(but this one was rotten) outlets, water pump, power converter, lights, cabinets,tail lights, clearance lights, also it had new tires as well.
So i picked up this trailer complete for for $350, took anything I thought to be salvageable, granted it was a little rougher shape than i thought I still managed alot of salvaged stuff. I cut the 16 or so bolts that hold it to the frame and squished it with out JD 544 loader, grappled it up and put it on the old 3ton and hauled it to the dump.

Next reason was these frames are built with fewer crossmembers giving more hole options for later, ass well as i could build my wheel assemply and modify it in the futre and still be under legal width, and weight.
I made the floor out of 3/4 t&g fir plywood glued together, under it is 1x4 running criss crossed to add support where every bolt is run thru, also glued and screwed. It took along time, and alot of extra cash for glue and screws but this entire shack is glued and screwed, even where all the panels join parralel to eachother.

All said and done so far it hasnt been too costly, no beer involved as I built it ALL by myself.
Old trailer- 350
metal - 240
lumber - approx 300
glue and screws - 100
catch covers - 120(so far have four holes)
catch cover slush bucket - 55
futon - 100(new on sale at wally world)
a-frame jack - 20
all other materials were salvaged items

So costs are lower IMO and its made the way i want it for the most part.
I will be adding a room in the corner next to the stove for umm (private) moments lol, more shelfving(have wire pantry shelving from the dump to put above the stove) would like to ad a sink as well just as a wash basin.

The DragonSlayer
03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Did U use converted port-a-pottys for your holes & covers?

CeeZee
03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Did U use converted port-a-pottys for your holes & covers?
if your talking about dumping "waste" downhole then nope, i think that would pretty silly of an idea. It doesnt have a port a potty yet, but i would be keeping it as a port a potty.

The DragonSlayer
03-23-2012, 07:39 AM
if your talking about dumping "waste" downhole then nope, i think that would pretty silly of an idea. It doesnt have a port a potty yet, but i would be keeping it as a port a potty.

No, I was talking about fishing hole covers. I sure wouldn;t lay a dump in the lake !!

CeeZee
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
No, I was talking about fishing hole covers. I sure wouldn;t lay a dump in the lake !!
lol kay was just checking, but fot the holes i got some Catchcovers.

bb356
03-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Cool !!! :happy0034:

czoom
03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Looks good to me. Good that the POS truck was replaced.

CeeZee
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks good to me. Good that the POS truck was replaced.
Yes it is nice to have it replaced and no more headache hopefully for a long while.

Alberta Bigbore
03-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Looks like an awesome unit!

Ken07AOVette
03-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Great project, you were really thinking!