PDA

View Full Version : ice at utikuma lake

35 whelen
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Anyone been out in the last few days and hows the ice thanks.

timmer17
03-19-2012, 11:49 PM
was there on saturday march 17, no problems with ice, drove everywhere, also drove over to the far west island

King Midas
03-20-2012, 08:19 AM
How was fishing?

skidderman
03-23-2012, 05:11 PM
3 feet of ice. isn't the problem. The fish have lock jaw!!!!!

mxer117
03-23-2012, 05:14 PM
3 feet of ice. isn't the problem. The fish have lock jaw!!!!!

Are you serious?

We were out there last Friday ( the 16th ) and I have never had such a hot day! NO exaggerartion, between five of us we landed about 60 walleye and about 35 pike.

It was AWESOME. ( we started early, about 8:30 )

highwood
03-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Unpredictable lake, always has been

skidderman
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Yes another friend was out on the weekend as well and it was hot, at least that is what I was told. I could be wrong but I figure as long as there is an east wind, forget it. One day AM the fish were nuts, until 10 am. Nothing the rest of the day. Not even a scrawny pike. I'm tired of analyzing fish. Makes my head hurt but I still want to go back. My brother in law has given up though. He has been there twice this week; the first time and the last time. If I could just hit it right once I would be so happy.

Saw 4 wolves on the ice. Someone was chasing one with a truck and shot it. Wow! My brother in law wanted to report it but as far as I'm concerned one less wolf means more moose. Truck was too far away to get a description any way. Man those wolves are big!!!!

highwood
03-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes another friend was out on the weekend as well and it was hot, at least that is what I was told. I could be wrong but I figure as long as there is an east wind, forget it. One day AM the fish were nuts, until 10 am. Nothing the rest of the day. Not even a scrawny pike. I'm tired of analyzing fish. Makes my head hurt but I still want to go back. My brother in law has given up though. He has been there twice this week; the first time and the last time. If I could just hit it right once I would be so happy.

Saw 4 wolves on the ice. Someone was chasing one with a truck and shot it. Wow! My brother in law wanted to report it but as far as I'm concerned one less wolf means more moose. Truck was too far away to get a description any way. Man those wolves are big!!!!

Report them for what?

Shmag
03-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Report them for what?

Shooting from an un-anchored boat:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Anyways...i had some good trips on Utik this year, but have struggled with it in the last month or so.

highwood
03-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Shooting from an un-anchored boat:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Anyways...i had some good trips on Utik this year, but have struggled with it in the last month or so.

There's been quite a few dogs out there this year, more than I've seen in past years

35 whelen
03-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Any new info from this past weekend thanks.

highwood
03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Lots of ice, fishing is slow. They are pulling nets today and the netters aren't even catching fish. Should pick up early April.

hogsmoker
03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Stayed on the ice for 3 days this past weekend, caught some walleye but it wasn't great, but the jacks were biting steady. Set up a wall tent on the northside of the small island. If this weather keeps up (80 km) road in is going to be sloppy.

Apparently we missed the bite by a couple days, had some buddy's fishing Wed,Thurs and they had a great couple days.

But That is Utikuma, Hit and Miss.

Sea Hawk
03-27-2012, 02:59 PM
We were out on Sunday. I saw the walled tent by the island. The fishing was real slow all day but picked up in the evening. It must have been slow all over the lake as we only saw one other truck on the ice at 7:00 when we left. The road at 80 was getting sloppy on the way out as might be real bad by this weekend.

35 whelen
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
THANKS GUYS,might have to go to cold lake .

skidderman
03-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Report them for what?

I do believe harassing/chasing down game and running over it with a truck is not entirely legal.

highwood
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
I do believe harassing/chasing down game and running over it with a truck is not entirely legal.

Who said anything about running over game with a truck?

skidderman
03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Who said anything about running over game with a truck?

He ran over it with the truck first then shot it. We had binoculars so we had a front row seat.

Shmag
03-28-2012, 06:10 PM
He ran over it with the truck first then shot it. We had binoculars so we had a front row seat.

You should of quit while you were ahead skidder. Your second post said you were too far away to get a description....and now you say you had front row seats???

But at the end of the day...its a dead wolf and no one really gives a ......

skidderman
03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
You should of quit while you were ahead skidder. Your second post said you were too far away to get a description....and now you say you had front row seats???

But at the end of the day...its a dead wolf and no one really gives a ......

Front row seats 3 miles away maybe. able to identify licence plate number, no. All I know is that it looked like a grey dodge dakota. If someone wants to hang me for that, go ahead. Too old and too decrepid to care and if someone thinks I know more than that, let em think cause I don't. To bad someone can't report something like this on AO without getting the feeling like a noose is around one's neck. From now on I'll just keep that kind of thing to myself. I didn't run it down and I didn't chase it nor do I know who did. End of story.

Shmag
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Sorry skidder, dont take it personal...i was just messing with ya.

Like i said i really dont care and i'm sure nobody else does either.

7mm rem mag
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking of going to Utikuma this Friday Apr 6/12. Has anyone been there in the last day or so and can tell me how the ice is, how the fishing was, how the roads in are? What they are using for hooks for the walleye and perch.

Lefty-Canuck
04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking of going to Utikuma this Friday Apr 6/12. Has anyone been there in the last day or so and can tell me how the ice is, how the fishing was, how the roads in are? What they are using for hooks for the walleye and perch.

Never realized it was still open!

LC

7mm rem mag
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
This is about one of the only lakes that stay open and do not colse. We use to go to snipe lake but this year they closed it.

35 whelen
04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
sorry no info went to cabin insted cheers

7mm rem mag
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Anyone know of any other lakes that are open this weekend and are good fishing that are not to far away from Edmonton

edmonton floater
04-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Anyone know of any other lakes that are open this weekend and are good fishing that are not to far away from Edmonton

You could try Spring Lake, But don't know about the winter kill as it was bad a few years ago.
they did put aerators to help, so hopefully its back to a decent fishery.

7mm rem mag
04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Where is spring lake?