PDA

View Full Version : Wild Horses

Rust
03-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Here are some pics that I took this afternoon of a few wild horses. Or maybe escapies is a better word for them, as the mare in the middle has a GE or a EE Brand on her front right shoulder. Or as near as I can tell that is what it is. I was looking at it at 70yrds through 10x bino's but could still not be 100% sure. Anyways I always enjoy seeing a bunch of wild ponies and thought I would share the pics. http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/Rustbucket_04/P3080236.jpghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/Rustbucket_04/P3080235.jpg

mud slug
03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
where about did you take the pics?

Mish
03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Beautiful. I'm envious, I've never been able to get close enough to get pics of wild horses.

mud slug
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
mish if you want to see free roaming horses go around small boys camp off the forestry trunk road. infact i think these pics look like they were taken just out side there camp

duffy4
03-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Ferral horses.

There are lots of them in the west country. When flying Moose surveys west of Sundre the crew saw over 300 one day and 75 the next day. If the wolves and cougars would eat more horse meat they'd eat less elk and moose.

Robin in rocky

Pioneer2
03-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Abandoned livestock more like it.Should all be removed.In the US [Nevada] feral burros keep the Desert Bighorns away from the waterholes and they die in droves during droughts.Harold

BUD
03-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Abandoned livestock more like it.Should all be removed.In the US [Nevada] feral burros keep the Desert Bighorns away from the waterholes and they die in droves during droughts.Harold

Removed to where ? the glue factory you mean ?
Their not doing any harm other than chewing on some leaseholders grass , they have just as much right to be there as any other species wild or domestic, and enjoying their life on their own too.
Their doing just fine thank you very much.

Phantom
03-09-2008, 03:32 AM
me and a few buddys saw some on the willow road in Hinton way back in the bush. Saw them the past few years actually, no branding or anything. They dont bother anyone, I believe there fine

duffy4
03-09-2008, 08:58 AM
They are big grass eaters that occupy the space that elk could and should be occupying. I have no more love for them than I do for "wild norway rats".

Robin in Rocky

Cordur
03-09-2008, 11:06 AM
After doing my homework a few years ago I came to realize that a wild horse is much the same as a wild dog. They cause damage, drive off species that we would like to encourage such as elk and deer and their presence is because of us. We really should take the time to clean up the mess we've made and help restore some of the habit wild horses have destroyed so it can be home to natural and more desirable wildlife. Don't know how much pressure you'd have to put onto the current government to take action but money might be better spent culling horses than CWD zones of deer. I'm not talking about wiping wild horses out (you'd never get that to fly with the general public) but a big reduction in their populations would certainly be beneficial.

SNIPER
03-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't mind the horses. They don't eat as much as the hundreds of head of cattle in the forestry, or damage the environment as much as logging or oil. Yes, I know, we need wood and gas. Speaking of Norway rats, how does a guy get a job riding around in a chopper?

Mish
03-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I was watching a documentary a few years ago on how the Alberta government allows hunting and capturing of wild horses to keep their numbers at 200 or less. Is this still true? Or was it ever?

300 wsm
03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
i know the boys at red deer river ranch used to catch the horses and try to break em in not sure if they still do i love seein wild horses and think they r just fine out in the bush you cant say a group of horses is wiping elk out

honda450
03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Saw a bunch NW of Edson last fall up Medicine Lodge Road.

Rust
03-09-2008, 01:13 PM
These Pic's were taking just west of the Bountary, bout 4-5 down the trunk road, Just across from the Caroline snowmobile clubs staging area.

BlueNorther
03-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I see that herd just about every time I'm up there,whether it be hunting or fishing.They seem to hang around on the pipeline between where you photographed them and the Tay River.Two years ago we found two of them dead in a cutblock,couldn't tell you what killed them as they had been eaten on pretty good by the wolves and yotes.

I don't mind seein the broomtails in there,better'n slow elk IMHO.

duffy4
03-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I was watching a documentary a few years ago on how the Alberta government allows hunting and capturing of wild horses to keep their numbers at 200 or less. Is this still true? Or was it ever?

Because they are not wildlife they are not the responsibility for Fish and Wildlife to "manage" Because they live in the "Green Zone Forestry area" they are the responsability of Forestery. They used to have some kind of permit system for people to capture them. Not sure what the story is now but Forestry is trying to get a good count (population estimate) on them and prepare some kind of plan for dealing with them.

F&W is sometimes looking for volunteers to ride along as observers on game counting flights. Contact your local wildlife Bio and tell them you would like to go on a flight. You often must be prepaired to go on short notice as they fly when the weather and snow conditions are right to go.

Mish
03-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info, duffy! I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Rust
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Here are a few more pic's.
This one was taken on "Rig Street". Talking with one guy and he said that there used to be 3 of these white mares. He told me where they came from, but I can't remember. But I have only seen this one white mare.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/Rustbucket_04/P6070065.jpg
These ones were taken near the james river between the trunk road and rig street.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/Rustbucket_04/P6050064.jpg
This one is pritty much right at the Boundary. A young stud that more then likely got kicked out of the herd.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/Rustbucket_04/P4260041.jpg
I got a few more pics but these are the better ones. I have also seen lots of em down in the Bear-Berry area. I seen a big Bay mare this fall that had a bright purple halter on. She was leading a group of about 12 and had a yearling with her. I wonder how many ppl lose horses in the back country every summer?

Grizzled
03-09-2008, 03:00 PM
West of Sundre last year...

BUD
03-09-2008, 04:20 PM
West of Sundre last year...

Dems nice invisable horseys , AYEEE WHATTT.

Rust
03-09-2008, 04:23 PM
THat is a nice pic Gizz. There are sure some thick horses out there!

243 Killer
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I think I have seen a couple of horses that look like them out by rig street out i a cut block.

Grizzly Adams
03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Ferral horses.

There are lots of them in the west country. When flying Moose surveys west of Sundre the crew saw over 300 one day and 75 the next day. If the wolves and cougars would eat more horse meat they'd eat less elk and moose.

Robin in rocky
This can't possibly be true, Robin. According to "Wild Horse Bob Henderson", there are less than 200 left in the province.:D
Grizz

geezer55
03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Did a little research into the number of feral horses that there are in Alberta. Found out that as late as 1985 they thought the number was around 1000 but now they estimate the number between 200-300 horses. This year there is a moratorium on Alberta’s wild horse capture so no licences will be issued.

bowchaser
03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
have seen them in that same spot, and been chased by them before...

CNP
03-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Removed to where ? the glue factory you mean ?
Their not doing any harm other than chewing on some leaseholders grass , they have just as much right to be there as any other species wild or domestic, and enjoying their life on their own too.
Their doing just fine thank you very much.

They are tasty! ...and they don't have a right to be anywhere besides behind a fence or underneath a rider.

roger
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
my response to this horse thing is certainly to be deleted and lacks a certain 'public sentiment'....just leave it at that.

crazy_davey
03-10-2008, 07:39 PM
my response to this horse thing is certainly to be deleted and lacks a certain 'public sentiment'....just leave it at that.

My response would be about the same...

smokestick
03-10-2008, 10:03 PM
one things for certain , love em or hate em they would be a hardy horse and would make a good huntin horse if one get get one broke- they look in pretty good shape to. Remember watching a couple guys yrs ago trying to break a wild horse, all that got broke was some cowboys hearts and bones lol- good pics guys

twofifty
03-10-2008, 10:34 PM
A young stud that more then likely got kicked out of the herd.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/Rustbucket_04/P4260041.jpg

That's a nice compact horse, be great to use it for bc access to high places.

Did you notice what condition their hooves were in....Wonder if they wear out fast enough not to maim the horse?

I like the idea of having wild horses out there. A great symbol of freedom.

Rust
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
From the tracks I have seen, Their hoofs seem to be in great shape! most of the time they almost looked trimmed... Might sound a little crazy, but I have always been surprised by the look of the tracks.

s_buffalo
03-18-2008, 12:02 AM
I've hunted in areas populated by feral horses, and seriously, there's not much that can live in there but them: They're very competitive.

Stinky

mountainman elkohalic
03-18-2008, 06:37 PM
here's my fav pic of the wild ones

mud slug
03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
some of the ones down by smallboys camp will walk up to the truck and let you scratch there ears. one beautiful paint that i was thinking of grabing a trailer and seeing if a guy could russel a horse.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
back in about 1968 there was an auction mart on 9th ave se in cgy(some where in that area) mcleans auction mart,
there was 21 colts sold one saterday
thay came from a herd of wild horses west of sundre , the mares had been rounded up wth these colts ,the mares sold at red top, for dog food, and the colts sold at the auction mart,
my father bought one for $15.00
that horse wasnt much to look at but was the best most solid reliable horse we ever had ,
he died in 2002 and we buried him on the farm evan had a stone made for him
could do anything wth him and go anywheres ,harness or saddle or pack saddle,
and he was so awsome wth little children

birdhunter99
03-30-2008, 12:54 PM
On CFB Suffield the feral horses were rounded up and sold amid a fair bit of controversy. They were destroying key wildlife habitats and hammering the range. The habitat recovered once the horses were removed, now we have a herd of 2000 elk out there, and the first hunting season around the base for elk occurred this fall with a lot of hunter success. I know which situation I prefer. Thinking those horses are "not hurting anything" is naive. For every horse out there we could support 3 more elk.

mark-edmonton
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
wild horses were around in alberta for 100's of years. yes some are escapees or old logging horses released. but my point is that the eco system has handled them as well as moose, elk, deer etc. There is no need to cull them.

And for those ignorant fu@#S THAT THINK IT IS THERE RIGHT TO SHOOT THEM, SHOULD HAVE THEIR HUNTING LISCENCES AND FIREARMS TAKEN AWAY.

leavem alone! they are not hurting anything.

Elk cause far more damage along the mcloed river eating farmers hay and desrtoying bales

MountainTi
05-26-2008, 01:05 PM
mish if you want to see free roaming horses go around small boys camp off the forestry trunk road. infact i think these pics look like they were taken just out side there camp

Don't even need to go that far. If from Calgary, head up the trunk rd. to mountain aire lodge. Lot's hang around there. Check about 2-3 miles north of the coal camp road junction.

AbAngler
05-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Lots NW of Sundre a couple weeks ago. My dog ran right in the middle of them.
They didn't even care.

CNP
05-26-2008, 02:46 PM
wild horses were around in alberta for 100's of years. yes some are escapees or old logging horses released. but my point is that the eco system has handled them as well as moose, elk, deer etc. There is no need to cull them.

And for those ignorant fu@#S THAT THINK IT IS THERE RIGHT TO SHOOT THEM, SHOULD HAVE THEIR HUNTING LISCENCES AND FIREARMS TAKEN AWAY.

leavem alone! they are not hurting anything.

Elk cause far more damage along the mcloed river eating farmers hay and desrtoying bales

Sentimentality for feral/wild horses? Why? Lots of guys want to hunt feral/wild/escaped pigs. Horse meat is tasty. Why not eat them....they are not an indigenous species. Elk were not introduced........horses are. Wouldn't make for a good trophy mount though...

Buck Krazy
05-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Some people just have not seen the damage they cause, an area my dad hunts which used to support a large deer/elk population is now overrun by 25 or more ferral horses- get rid of em!!!! hey Geezer, Guaranteed there are thousands of them in AB!!!!!!!!

jrs
05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
A lot of the horses you guys are seeing are not the actual feral ones being referred to in the news all the time. Some guys release a bunch to feed all summer and round them up in the early fall (outfitters perhaps?). There's lots by Robb and in WMU 438 that fit this description. They do lots of damage to a few creeks and really can chew an area up. A lot of the horses by the Smallboys camp are not really wild either, not sure what they're for but they're owned by someone and I've seen guys loading them up before. I've seen a few I'm convinced were wild by Sundre and near Hinton, they ran off like an elk would, very wild acting critters. No way they'd voluntarily go into a horse trailer.

Rust
05-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Where is this smallboys camp I keep hearing about?

MountainTi
05-26-2008, 06:51 PM
It is south of Robb on the trunk road, little ways past coal valley, then west about 30 kms. ( give or take, haven't been in there for years)

wapiti11
05-27-2008, 08:22 PM
After looking at some of the pics posted of horses, they are certainly not "wild" horses or mustangs but free roaming feral horses at best. If you see brands on some, then they may be horses that have been turned out by their owners for the winter to feast on the free crown forage. Hopefully they will be rounded up and used in the summer and fall. If we let these feral horse populations grow with out some sort of management then we could have the same disaster they now have on US forest and BLM lands in the USA. Too many horses for the landscape will no management options at all. What a mess!
wapiti11