PDA

View Full Version : Would appreciate some assistance

Brandon5555
03-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Okay so, I've been a fly fisher since I was 10, but I've never really know what to use. Can anybody reccomend some flies for pike, trout (of all sorts) and even panfish? Thanks a bunch guys

Son of Sniglett
03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Straight-up green woolly buggers have been the ticket for me just after ice-out over the last few years. Fished close to shore.

dekker59
03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
x2 though I like mine in black :). Generally though, for pike I like lots of rabbit and shiny stuff. Trout, wooly bugger, stimulator, hare's ear, and a few different home brews are my fav's.

Straight-up green woolly buggers have been the ticket for me just after ice-out over the last few years. Fished close to shore.

Brandon5555
03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys, picked up a bunch of nymphs, and a few midges for when the snow finally retires for the year. Probably have to go pick up some woolys then. In regards to the bow, is fishing downstream of the treatment plant better than above? Im new to fly fishing this area.

Okotokian
03-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Joing the club. I've been fly fishing for a while but had never really put a lot of study into what I should be using for different species in different environments and situations. Personally, I'm learning more by buying fly fishing magazines. Most have at least a story or two on fllies and techniques. Current issues of Fly Fisherman, Fly Fusion, and Outdoor Canada all have some articles with guidance on what you are looking for.

For what to use specifically in southern Alberta check any one of Jim McLennan's three books on the subject.

fish gunner
03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
I fish just above the 22x bridge. early in the season black knats can kill. on other streams if we get a few days of 10°c tiny black stoneflys will come off. a selection of sparce, dark or black caddis in sizes 16-12 will cover this hatch. as the day warms the size of the stoneflys seem to get larger. air temp..? other wise subsurface patterns seem to be most productive. black buggers as mentioned above, micky finn and other streamers in colors chosen for visiblity are my goto flys.