PDA

View Full Version : Tips on asking permission to hunt

Scotty P.
03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
So I've decided to do a little door knocking to see if any of the land owners will allow me to hunt their land but I need some advise. I was planning on talking to them face to face, rather than phoning, as I think I would have a better chance to plead my case but after some thought, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be just as annoying for the land owner as it is for me to have door to door salesmen stopping by. What has worked for you in the past? Should I just contact the owners by phone or would stopping by their place during the weekend be a better idea? Thanks in advance for any Feedback!

Redfrog
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Stop by in person. Leave all religious info and sales items in the truck. :)

People I have dealt with want to see you not hear you on the phone.

NBFK
03-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Nothing gets permission like a face to face interaction. Introduce yourself shake hands and ask for permission. I usually run out of time during a day trying to make all my stops. Most guys love bsing about life in general or inviting you in for coffee. Face to face interaction is a great foundation to building strong landowner relations you will have years to come.

huntinstuff
03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Face to face

Have a card with your name address and phone number on it to give them, regardless of whether they say yes or no.

They might say no today, but reconsider and call u later.

Jamie Black R/T
03-21-2012, 03:15 PM
and dont knock on the door the same day you plan to hunt.....it adds unwanted pressure to them on giving an answer.

I go in plain clothes and leave a card.....tell them to call me when they have time to let me know yay or nay.

most times they just say yes right then

I had a status fellow ask permission this past october on my home quarter...he wanted to hunt moose....standing there with a camo coat on and a rifle slung over his shoulder

I asked him "right now?" (10 minutes of legal light remaining)

Him "Yes please"

I step around the corner of the garage laughing and sure enough there is a cow and calf moose 50 yards away feeding.

i shook my head and told him to keep pounding gravel.

Thats an example of what not to do LOL

Big Daddy Badger
03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Face to face...a firm handshake and a genuine interest in what their concerns are and you should do OK.
If you can refer to other landowners who know you it may also help.

These guys talk and do business with each other and you might be surprised how far reaching their circle of friends and acquaintances can be.

7mm08
03-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Face to face. Be nice. Be polite. Show you have self respect by not showing up in dirty or torn clothes, with a cigarette dangling from your lip. Dont tear in the yard with the stereo blaring. Pet the dog...or cat.
Just some tips.

lone wolf
03-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Lots of great advice. Be polite, respectful, honest and be prepared to graciously take no for an answer. When you do get permission, never a bad idea to stop in after the hunt or the season to say thank-you. On the land that I regularly hunt I also make a point of calling in at Xmas with a gift basket and/or some game sausage for those that like it.

dogslayer403
03-21-2012, 07:46 PM
It never hurts to call first and say your stopping by if you have their number to make sure your not intruding at a bad time. Then at least you know if they have time to meet you but dont ask on the phone just say what you want and you'd like to stop by in person and ask. I dont like unannounced visitors so I like not to be one.

buckscrape
03-21-2012, 08:00 PM
If you already know them a phone call is fine. If you don't, then face to face.
Most landowners want to meet you in person to decide if they want you toting a gun on their land.

wildcat111
03-21-2012, 09:03 PM
all of the above are great ideas, also i would have a county map handi, i found in my early days of hunting that land owners perfer that you know what there property is , so that they don't have to waste time showing you.plus it makes you look more professional.

densa44
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Don't smoke, swear, chew anything, honk your horn, be mean to the dog and/or cat. Face to face, bring dog cookies, the dog will tell the owner if you are who you say you are, leave a "card" so he remembers who you are, your picture on the card will help too.

If it goes well and you have your county map, ask him if he knows the names of the neighbours etc. (be careful of what you say, they may be his relatives.

The Hutterites are very good about giving permission, it doesn't hurt if you are a Christian, don't go there on Sunday.

It is too bad it has come to this but you're doing the right thing and you can make friendships that last a life time.

One of the landowners sons came with us on a goose hunt and we went together for years afterwards.

Good luck.

Jimboy
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Face to face. Be nice. Be polite. Show you have self respect by not showing up in dirty or torn clothes, with a cigarette dangling from your lip. Dont tear in the yard with the stereo blaring. Pet the dog...or cat.
Just some tips.

HAAAAAA YEA PET THE DOG , if he,ll let ya , every time l pull into a farm yard the bludy dog is runnin out ta take a fender off your truck and your face , still have the deep scratches on my truck where one of those friendly farm dogs jumped up on my door to greet me , and he WAS the friendly one.
Dogs are the one reason l never went face to face , always tryed to get a phone number , if you drive a new truck , go the phone route.:thinking-006:

HunterDave
03-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Face to face and shoot the breeze for awhile instead of coming right out and asking for permission. Don't be all business like and in a hurry. Take your time and enjoy meeting the landowner.

....and yeah, pet the dog. :)

Bigdad013
03-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Don't forget to get the land owners number as well. It might be day to day you get permission, not the whole season, so phone calls are good to let them know you are coming

Icon
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Don't forget to get the land owners number as well. It might be day to day you get permission, not the whole season, so phone calls are good to let them know you are coming

It helps to mention that you will call them if/when you see something going on out on their property that they might want to know about. Land owners don't mind an extra set of eyes out there!

Scotty P.
03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the Feedback. I'll try knocking on some doors this weekend.

sergeant_s
03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey guys does anyone know of any "Friendly Farmers" down south or west of Calgary?? Any info would be great as I am new to Alberta and would like to start hunting in my new home lol.

Big Daddy Badger
03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey guys does anyone know of any "Friendly Farmers" down south or west of Calgary?? Any info would be great as I am new to Alberta and would like to start hunting in my new home lol.

Thats a tough one.
Guys work hard to get permission and they could lose it pretty quick if they started to name drop online.

Just drive around...pop in and ask.
Even if the guy says no...he might steer you towards a neighbour that will say yes.

No Hunting and No Trespass signs often mean....No H or No T without permission so even those places are worth stoppin at.

You will probably find that the further you get from the city...the better luck you'll have.

Once your foot is in the door... and you've established yourself as a stand up guy..word will get around and you'll find out that most landowners...are very friendly.

Good luck.

Evilsports
03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
When the killer Blue Heeler comes blazing at you from behind a grainery and latches on to your ankle like a bear trap, just keep smiling and pretend that you enjoy this type of thing.

Big Daddy Badger
03-22-2012, 10:34 PM
When the killer Blue Heeler comes blazing at you from behind a grainery and latches on to your ankle like a bear trap, just keep smiling and pretend that you enjoy this type of thing.

Don't forget to pet it and comment on what a nice dog it is either....lol

Seriously...that happen to you? Yikes.

Evilsports
03-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Good point, posted land is only posted so they can keep track of who's out there, for the most part.

I've only been turned down once ever when asking permission face to face, and that was because some hunters in the past messed it up for me by acting like idiots.

Also, when you do get permission try to do a big burnout with your truck as you're leaving the yard. It shows how excited and appreciative you are for their generosity. :)

Evilsports
03-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Don't forget to pet it and comment on what a nice dog it is either....lol

Seriously...that happen to you? Yikes.

Lol yep.

He kept swooping in from behind me after, to get another bite. I'm trying to chat with the farmer while spinning in circles and dodging his attack dog. Nice guy too! Lol. Kind of felt bad that I couldn't spend more time looking him in the eye.

Big Daddy Badger
03-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Never had that happen.
Hope it never does.

Farm dogs are usually pretty friendly...

Only problem I've had is sometimes they pile in the truck and want to go for a ride....

Got a half mile down the road once and had to go back and return one that suddenly appeared in my rear view mirror... sneaky old bugger.

Almost got a few free cats that way to.

Also had a goat start to eat my steering wheel once.
Darn thing was half in the cab and at it before I'd cleared the seat....lol

Elkhunting
03-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Excellent advice all above. I might add a couple thoughts which have been very successful for me.

I force myself to take the time to go out and ask permission well before the seasons open, then re-up or remind again via phone, mail, or email if available.

I hunt with my grandchildren often, varying in age from 9 to 19! If you do also, or with your own children, take them with you to ask permission! Almost without exception, the lady landowner of the house finds the young ones irresistable, and the worst problem you may have is gaining weight from all the cookies you will eat when she invites you in.

Set the rules when given permission clearly. I always agree that I will never bring anyone else with me without specific advance permission. Determine vehicle and gate access, and let the owners know what vehicle you will have so they know it is you. None of my owners require checking in, but do not want to be alarmed by a vehicle they do not recognize or expect.

Check to see if there are days when they prefer you not come. One landowner sets aside a weekend every year for a traditional family gathering and hunt on the property and I just don't go there then.

And another tip; after gaining permission and hunting, do a post-season follow-up visit and thank them for the privilege. A small gift is always appreciated but not essential, it is the personal thank you that counts.

Evilsports
03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Good points Elkhunting, particularly the follow up.

I've always figured that getting permission, hunting, and then disappearing until next year, comes across as a pretty one sided arrangement.

Make a point of popping in after to say thanks, offer some sausage, discuss a successful hunt. In appropriate fields I'll usually make a point of returning in the spring and offering to clean up gophers for a day or two.