PDA

View Full Version : Keep Protection of Habitat

BGSH
03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Keep Protection of Habitat in the Canada Fisheries Act!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/124/389/037/keep-protection-of-habitat-in-the-canada-fisheries-act/

Target: Honourable Keith Ashfield, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Canada
Sponsored by: Douglas Channel Watch
URGENT! We need to deliver this petition prior to the federal budget release on March 29, 2012!

The federal conservative government is proposing to eliminate fish habitat protection measures from the Fisheries Act! This is a systematic dismantling of fundamental environmental protection,and will allow the government to push through large projects that have clear and imminent negative impact on fish bearing waterways all acrossCanada (eg. Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline proposal). This change will not only harm fish and fish habitat but it will threaten commercial and sport fisheries, ecotourism and our iconic salmon.

A retired federal government aquatic ecologist, Otto Langer has disclosed leaked information about the conservative’s plan to sneak severe changes to the Fisheries Act through the omnibus budget bill on March 29, 2012.These changes, if imposed, will be done with zero public consultation and zero consultation with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

ReconWilly
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Get involved, be informed and DO YOUR PART. Responsibility lies on ALL concerned.

Guitarplayingfish
03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Sign it. NOW. :test:

WayneChristie
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
signed

Fish-killer
03-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Sign it. NOW. :test:

Done! #3

ReconWilly
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
552/10,000 signatures? Not encouraging so far...

outandabout
03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
I was the 552 signature:)

anthony5
03-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm in:mad0100:

Guitarplayingfish
03-21-2012, 10:57 PM
552/10,000 signatures? Not encouraging so far...

Hence the push.

ReconWilly
03-21-2012, 10:58 PM

Someones gotta step up!! Good job.:sHa_shakeshout:

Fish-killer
03-21-2012, 11:02 PM

I signed it and it said I was 552!?!?!?!?:angry3:
I posted it on facebook fish-killer just added signature #552 to the petition

ReconWilly
03-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Hence the push.

Much appreciated, keep it up and spread the word, this concerns far more than the outdoors community alone.

Fish-killer
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
what a joke website.... now it says there is 549 signatures..????!?!?! I was 552!?

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah...I think I'll pass..

TyreeUM
03-22-2012, 04:28 AM
I always question websites like this - seems like a good way to get your info...I get enough junk in my email, I don't need a bunch in my real mailbox.

That being said, this is really discouraging and I hope they do not go through with it.

Jwood 456
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Just Signed

There wad also a different website I signed another petition on and posted the link onto Facebook to spread the word.

waterninja
03-22-2012, 05:24 PM
signed 1038

ReconWilly
03-23-2012, 01:02 AM
the site takes time to refresh, all the signatures go through moderation before being posted, it has no age requirement to sign as this concerns children more than the older generations who are largely responsible for the current state of the environment, and the issues that now plague us all, this once again affects everyone and we all need to be heard. I don't see anything other than a site for people who care enough to try and be heard, if you don't care and don't want to be heard thats fine too, and chances are that no one will listen to you anyway..

ReconWilly
03-23-2012, 01:06 AM
1,180/10,000 signatures and counting...

addicted
03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
#1,441 4:14 pm March 23

jrs
03-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Get involved, be informed and DO YOUR PART. Responsibility lies on ALL concerned.

Yup, get informed. Remember not to just take the mainstream media's word as truth. Read details for yourselves, and maybe send letters rather than signing a random online petition. I'll just say, I think well thought out change to the act is needed.

ks23
03-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Thank you for posting this petition and thank you to those who have signed. There are now 3848 signatures on the Keep Protection of Habitat in the Canada Fisheries Act! petition.
Douglas Channel Watch is sponsoring the Petition. They are an active citizens group in Kitimat BC concerned with the environment. I personally know the person who wrote the petition.
The Care2 site is slow with logging names and numbers. But it does post all names. Something that I like about this petition site is that it allows you to leave comments, and not just your name.
I have been posting this all over facebook and tonight I decided to see how far it's reach went, along with many interested groups...and I found this thread on here.

Here is the other petition done by the same person and group, it does not have as many signatures. Feel free to sign,
Save the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act from further gutting!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/813/378/321/save-the-canadian-environmental-assessment-act/

There are also other petitions circulating. I encourage everyone to sign or write letters...our voices need to be heard together.

Enjoy your outdoor adventures!

ReconWilly
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Has anyone researched the proposed changes to the legislation? You need to understand the proposals and how they will directly or indirectly will affect you, your lifestyle and your environment, don't rely on others or word of mouth, industry stands to gain the most through these proposals, NOT the environment nor the people or the wildlife whom cannot defend themselves, there is room for change, however to benefit industry at the cost of our long term environmental sustainability does NOT make sense.

jrs
03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Has anyone researched the proposed changes to the legislation? You need to understand the proposals and how they will directly or indirectly will affect you, your lifestyle and your environment, don't rely on others or word of mouth, industry stands to gain the most through these proposals, NOT the environment nor the people or the wildlife whom cannot defend themselves, there is room for change, however to benefit industry at the cost of our long term environmental sustainability does NOT make sense.

I disagree. My tax dollars pay for a lot of the existing bureaucracy. For example, look at the average cost to replace a county culvert or bridge and specifically check out the enviro-fees. We're spending a lot of money assessing and "enhancing" grassy swales that connect wheat fields that have not been available to fish for 50 years, and won't be for the next 50 years (you need water). The like for like habitat provisions are also a curse. Sometimes, fish (especially trout) are benefited by narrowing and deepening channels rather than just replacing shallow wide sections. Adjustments may allow compensation that benefits fish, and just doesn't need to add up in a spreadsheet. Creation of coal mine pit lakes has also been limited by DFO rules, as producing naturally reproducing fish populations doesn't meet the like for like requirement. This issue is more complex than it appears. Not all habitat is created equal, i don't care what the DFO says...

MathewsArcher
03-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Anyone notice - no changes to the fisheries act in the new budget documents