PDA

View Full Version : best line for a mini spinning reel

pelada trochu
03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I picked up a 500 series spinner for use on a 6 foot light weight rod for targeting walleye. Want to share it with my daughter so that is one of the reasons to go small.

I tested some 8lb fluoro abrazix on it and it is way too stiff for the small spool diameter. rated for 2-190, 4-100, 6-60.

does anyone have suggestions for a line to use? there are so many on the shelves!!!

typical conditions:
boat fishing so casting distance is not a big issue.
typically clear waters
minows with slip sinker in 12 to 25 feet of water

looking for:
ease of use, limpness, no tangles and no line breakage, sensitivity, decent capacity.

I expect 2lb mono would need to be changed very frequently for best performance as compared to 2lb fluoro???

Also, what are the chances of landing bigger walleye (say 5 to 8lb) on a 2lb line. would 4lb be a best fit for the range of walleye you might see?

also, if you were targeting walleye what would have been your perfect setup????

ps. the guides do not support braid on this rod.

horsetrader
03-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I picked up a 500 series spinner for use on a 6 foot light weight rod for targeting walleye. Want to share it with my daughter so that is one of the reasons to go small.

I tested some 8lb fluoro abrazix on it and it is way too stiff for the small spool diameter. rated for 2-190, 4-100, 6-60.

does anyone have suggestions for a line to use? there are so many on the shelves!!!

typical conditions:
boat fishing so casting distance is not a big issue.
typically clear waters
minows with slip sinker in 12 to 25 feet of water

looking for:
ease of use, limpness, no tangles and no line breakage, sensitivity, decent capacity.

I expect 2lb mono would need to be changed very frequently for best performance as compared to 2lb fluoro???

Also, what are the chances of landing bigger walleye (say 5 to 8lb) on a 2lb line. would 4lb be a best fit for the range of walleye you might see?

also, if you were targeting walleye what would have been your perfect setup????

ps. the guides do not support braid on this rod.

2 or 4 pound Techtan would work great.

t3metro
03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I spool my small reels with 2lb equivalent fireline i think its 8lb. And if visibility is and issue I will put a 2-4' 10lb fluro leader. The fireline's sensitivity is awesome on a light rod.

BeeGuy
03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
For years I ran 8-15lb fireline on a 5'6" ultralight (CT $20 rod).

Landed everything up to 25lb Chinook on that outfit.

Not sure why it would be a problem for your guides.

DiabeticKripple
03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
i just bought some crystal 8lb fireline last night. its good stuff

t3metro
03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I love the crystal I've caught Bulls and rainbows in the Athabaska with spinners tried straight to it.

horsetrader
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
For years I ran 8-15lb fireline on a 5'6" ultralight (CT $20 rod).

Landed everything up to 25lb Chinook on that outfit.

Not sure why it would be a problem for your guides.

What is the reasoning behind 15 lb test on an ultralight rig.

BeeGuy
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
What is the reasoning behind 15 lb test on an ultralight rig.

15lb fireline is very thin, so I could spool just as much as when using 6lb mono.

As mentioned, I would use this rig when traveling and could catch near about anything on it.

The reasoning would be durability, and flexibility when traveling extensively in canada with a single outfit.

Could cast little cleos on that rig a country mile.

thorne
03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I spool my small reels with 2lb equivalent fireline i think its 8lb. And if visibility is and issue I will put a 2-4' 10lb fluro leader. The fireline's sensitivity is awesome on a light rod.

Excellent answer! Although I personally use 6 lb just because the diameter is almost the same and after a few times out it flows like silk. The extra line strength is hang jigging for lazy walleye and that 10lb pike comes screwing in from left field.

tacklerunner
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Suffix 832 or Power Pro braid 8 lb (2lb diameter) with a barrel swivel & 18" - 24" leader to suit the conditions. Mono leader might be better as there is no stretch in the braid. Braid is supple, you can get lots on the reel & never twists or forms memory.

pelada trochu
03-21-2012, 08:23 PM
thanks guys. good to hear what you guys are having success with.

I will look into the techtan first. the abrazix is for what it states and not designed to be flexible. what other fluoro's have people had success with as being more flexible?

the rod is a high end graphite rated 8lb, extremely light and sensitive, HIPower browning from bass pro. but for some reason came with pacbay ss306 guides. i looked into the guides and they are not the hard chromed ones so i know they will not hold up to superlines. though if i start missing hooksets you never know.

its a finese rod so i want to enjoy playing with it. should be alot of fun

t3metro
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
All of my rods are stone type guides and have had some of them for 10 years now using superlines and yes I do use them alot.

Willowtrail
03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Another vote for the Suffix 832. I run it on a few of my rigs and this year it will go on the rest of them after the success I had with them. I tip all my braids with 6 or 20lb Fluoro for clear water.

horsetrader
03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
15lb fireline is very thin, so I could spool just as much as when using 6lb mono.

As mentioned, I would use this rig when traveling and could catch near about anything on it.

The reasoning would be durability, and flexibility when traveling extensively in canada with a single outfit.

Could cast little cleos on that rig a country mile.

I can see the reason behind larger poundage on an ultralight for this case Good idea.

Pikecrazed
03-21-2012, 10:31 PM
What seems to work for me is Berkley nanofil it's very flexible and does not keep bends in it plus its alot thinner than mono

BeeGuy
03-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I can see the reason behind larger poundage on an ultralight for this case Good idea.

Yeah, of course it's not always the best idea and you have to fish accordingly. You can't use the rod to pull off bad snags etc.

And if you hook into salmon or steelhead you'll be doing some running.

horsetrader
03-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah, of course it's not always the best idea and you have to fish accordingly. You can't use the rod to pull off bad snags etc.

And if you hook into salmon or steelhead you'll be doing some running.

You want to be having extra drag washers in yer pocket....lol

gramps73
03-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Suffix 832
But I would use the 6 lbs

huntsfurfish
03-22-2012, 08:57 AM
I am also a fan of 2-4 lb. Tectan. For my ultralight I prefer a line that has stretch and paired with an ultra light rod to keep the fish hooked up. Dont usually have to mess with leaders either(tie direct for one less weak point in your setup). The most frequent failure in Fish to Angler connection is the knots.

TJG
03-22-2012, 10:28 PM

X2. Fireline comes in the folowing:

1 Diameter (mono equiv.)

4 Pound Test

The DragonSlayer
03-23-2012, 07:01 AM
I would stay with a good, limp mono in 8#. You need some stretch with an ultralight. The Tectan would be a good choice, but there are lots of other premium monos.