PDA

View Full Version : Lake Erie Ontario side Walleye

RVSam
03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
How big do they get over your way guys? Average in these images are 7 to 10 lbs.. We do have them up to 12 - 15 lbs..http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Howseboat/Picture071.jpg
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Howseboat/Picture046.jpghttp://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Howseboat/HPIM5733.jpghttp://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Howseboat/HPIM5719.jpghttp://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Howseboat/HPIM5704.jpg
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Howseboat/HPIM5674.jpghttp://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Howseboat/HPIM5694.jpg

BeeGuy
03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
They get just as big here, but there aren't as many water bodies as there are in ON.

So, not as many opportunities.

npauls
03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
That looks like a terrible way to spend a day. :thinking-006:

Good looking eyes.

Like mentioned before we do get them that big out west but not nearly as many water bodies that hold solid eyes.

greylynx
03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I keep telling people in Alberta if you want great fishing go to Ontario.

They just don't seem to get it.

Even the Newfoundlanders living out here have not figured out that the best fishing in Canada is in Ontario.

With the gun laws being changed maybe I can bring my .410 to shoot Horseflys when I head it up to North of Timmins next time.

Fish on Dudes.

Thanks for Pictures.

BTW it was 28C in the big Smoke today. No wonder your wearing shorts.

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Last time I fished Erie was back in the mid 80's,my buddy from Tilbury and I launched his boat at Leamington.We used two planer boards and two down riggers.We caught about a dozen in about 6 hours with the biggest being 8lbs.
It was fun but I prefer flipping a jig with a six foot rod for walleye instead of dragging one in with heavy tackle while the boat is still moving.

But that's just me..:)

TyreeUM
03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
those are nice walleye...we only get them up to 20 pounds here...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=906&pictureid=4634

npauls
03-21-2012, 07:46 PM

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

TyreeUM,

That fish is big but it looks like it was picked up dead off the bottom.

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
And why the gloves?:scared:

TyreeUM
03-21-2012, 07:51 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol:

TyreeUM,

That fish is big but it looks like it was picked up dead off the bottom.

haha caught in a net set this last summer...testing mercury levels in the fish. The fish is frozen solid in this picture.

RVSam
03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Last time I fished Erie was back in the mid 80's,my buddy from Tilbury and I launched his boat at Leamington.We used two planer boards and two down riggers.We caught about a dozen in about 6 hours with the biggest being 8lbs.
It was fun but I prefer flipping a jig with a six foot rod for walleye instead of dragging one in with heavy tackle while the boat is still moving.

But that's just me..:)

You nailed it Sonny. That is exactly where I'm out of. We run boards on this side of the point and the downriggers in the deeper water on the other side for rainbow. I'm from Newfie and sure do miss the fly fishing, that's fishing. Nothing like that in this neck of the woods. Perching with minnows over the side of an anchored boat is about as close to fly fishing as it gets here, lol. At least we get to feel the fish and set the hook !

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
You nailed it Sonny. That is exactly where I'm out of. We run boards on this side of the point and the downriggers in the deeper water on the other side for rainbow. I'm from Newfie and sure do miss the fly fishing, that's fishing. Nothing like that in this neck of the woods. Perching with minnows over the side of an anchored boat is about as close to fly fishing as it gets here, lol. At least we get to feel the fish and set the hook !

Right on..

But I'll tell ya what I really do miss about fishing in your neck of the woods is Muskie fishing in Lake St. Clair..woohoo..

Trolling a big ole' Swim Wizz about ten feet behind the boat right in the backwash..Man when them puppies hit you got a battle one your hands..:sHa_shakeshout:

BGSH
03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I keep telling people in Alberta if you want great fishing go to Ontario.

They just don't seem to get it.

Even the Newfoundlanders living out here have not figured out that the best fishing in Canada is in Ontario.

With the gun laws being changed maybe I can bring my .410 to shoot Horseflys when I head it up to North of Timmins next time.

Fish on Dudes.

Thanks for Pictures.

BTW it was 28C in the big Smoke today. No wonder your wearing shorts.

Dont forget B.C has great fishing as well.

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Dont forget B.C has great fishing as well.

Take away the salt water fishing and Ontario has BC beat hands down..

Redfrog
03-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice fish. Too bad it's all catch and release.:thinking-006:

I miss the perch run and the silver bass run and the 'black' bass and channel cats. I guess i need to make a trip back to see my mom.:)

I couldn't believe how clear the water was last time I was there. as a kid if you could see a foot it was the middle of winter.:)

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Nice fish. Too bad it's all catch and release.:thinking-006:

I miss the perch run and the silver bass run and the 'black' bass and channel cats. I guess i need to make a trip back to see my mom.:)

I couldn't believe how clear the water was last time I was there. as a kid if you could see a foot it was the middle of winter.:)

And I remember the stinky dead smelt on the beach in the late spring,sheephead too..

Redfrog
03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Hey Sonny thanks for that. I was having such a nice trip down memory lane.:mad0100:

Sheep head. yeeeeuch!!!

We did a have a few feeds of smelts though. Catching them was a huge social outing for our group. Midnight runs at the point.

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey Sonny thanks for that. I was having such a nice trip down memory lane.:mad0100:

Sheep head. yeeeeuch!!!

We did a have a few feeds of smelts though. Catching them was a huge social outing for our group. Midnight runs at the point.

The smelt run...a big bonfire,a few bottles of whatever and about five pails of smelt...lmfao...good times..:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
03-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Sheep head. yeeeeuch!!!

No such thing as sheepshead "freshwater Drum" and nothing better then digging out the lucky stones.....lol

Redfrog
03-21-2012, 09:55 PM
The smelt run...a big bonfire,a few bottles of whatever and about five pails of smelt...lmfao...good times..:sHa_shakeshout:

Is there even a smelt run anymore. The first one I went on was nearly 60 years ago.:thinking-006: OMG> That can't be right.OMG>

horsetrader
03-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Is there even a smelt run anymore. The first one I went on was nearly 60 years ago.:thinking-006: OMG> That can't be right.OMG>

there's still got to be a smelt run at myrnam beach they came up the bay and creek in the thousands.

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
*edit*

Well there you go..:)

Redfrog
03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Did you ever eat a sheephead? We used to catch some big buggers in the Detroit river off Amherstburg. Could never gag them down though.

horsetrader
03-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Did you ever eat a sheephead? We used to catch some big buggers in the Detroit river off Amherstburg. Could never gag them down though.

Smoke the smaller ones good eats

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 10:14 PM

Tried them once when we were kids..

Yeah..gag is a good word..

But I sure could use a feed or crappie..:)

SonnyJ
03-21-2012, 10:27 PM
RVSam is gonna chit himself when he see's wot we did to his thread..lol..:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
03-21-2012, 10:52 PM

new provincial record if it was taken on a rod yeah?

BeeGuy
03-21-2012, 10:53 PM
There's actually a pretty good walleye fishery in BC now too!

And boys, you can keep 8

RVSam
03-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Look at you guys talkng about the places around here. Sounds like come home year, lol. I have heard nothing of the smelt these last bunch of years. This is the time they wash up on the point. All are waiting to see if this year is the year again. A few times in the middle of summer last year there were thousands of smelt dead, stinking and floating along miles and miles of the beach. They first thought a commercial fishing boat dumped them but decided it was way to many. Had something to do with lack of oxygen in the water I think it ended up being. Now if the friggin' things would come in as they should, when they should we can have a lot of fun and good eats.
Sheephead. We tell people over the radio all day long they are very good to eat and taste like lobsters. Wonder how many actually take them home and not throw them back ? lol. Remember one day last year bringing in 53 of those with most over 10 lbs just to keep 2 rainbow trout. Once hooked you know it is not a rainbow but have to go with the fight as until you see it for most part they feel like a big old "eye". All hands slept good that night with sore arms.

mxer117
03-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Judging from the pics, it looks like Alberta walleye have a more vibrant, golden color. The walleye we catch just have some amazing color in them.

The pics at the top of the thread make the fish look pale and dull.

TyreeUM
03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
new provincial record if it was taken on a rod yeah?

would have been a new lineclass world record if caught on anything other than 12lb as well...it was caught out of deifenbaker this past year.

The saskatchewan river system grows the largest walleye in the world.

Redfrog
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
RVSam is there still a perch run int he spring? how about silver bass in June?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-22-2012, 01:19 PM
You cant even Compare fishing In Alberta to Ontario , Now Saskatchewan or Manitoba to Ontario Id say Saskatchewan or Manitoba hands down .

Were Screwed here for great fishing , good choices if you like trout fishing .

shorthair ptr.
03-22-2012, 08:39 PM
there's still got to be a smelt run at myrnam beach they came up the bay and creek in the thousands.

Horsetrader, you know of Mirnhum (however you spell it) beach? You must know my home town of Dunnville then. I am pretty sure the smelt don't run at all like they used to. The smelt are still there but not in the size or numbers like "the old days".

SonnyJ
03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Horsetrader, you know of Mirnhum (however you spell it) beech? You must know my home town of Dunnville then. I am pretty sure the smelt don't run at all like they used to. The smelt are still there but not in the size or numbers like "the old days".

My wife is from Port Rowan and yeah the smelt run that we know is a thing from the past.

horsetrader
03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Horsetrader, you know of Mirnhum (however you spell it) beach? You must know my home town of Dunnville then. I am pretty sure the smelt don't run at all like they used to. The smelt are still there but not in the size or numbers like "the old days".

You betcha my home town Born and raised on the Grand catchin carp and channel cat >>>lol

RVSam
03-23-2012, 12:46 PM
RVSam is there still a perch run int he spring? how about silver bass in June?

We have two good runs. Fall as they get ready to go up the Detroit river and again spring on the way down. You can get them somewhere on the lake most times all year. Depends on how much gas you want to burn. Right now at the City Marina you have to be there Very early to get a place to sit on the dock to drop a line in the water.
Silvers are around all year and a pain when perchin'..

snortwheez
04-04-2012, 11:56 PM
You betcha my home town Born and raised on the Grand catchin carp and channel cat >>>lol
The CATS are on fire right now here!
As for carp on the Grand, SCREW THAT!
I'm all about the walleye which will turn on about the beginning of June.
Perchin mid June, and yes the smelt run BIGTIME still there just not the big lake smelt like we use to get years ago. ALL rainbow smelt anymore.