PDA

View Full Version : Bad timing to ask this...

Skeenabilly
03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Considering the big storm that blew into southern alberta this week, has anyone been able to notice the state of the pronghorn herds this winter in their travels around pronghorn country? With the massacre they experienced due to last years winter and the lighter one we received this year, I curious if I should be applying for a pronghorn with my priority 9. Then again with the lack of snow, could this be a drought year?

ishootbambi
03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
i was totally thinking this year has all the makings of a drought. wont say for sure until it happens, but ground moisture seems to be pretty light. this last storm was really needed.

as for the goats, i was talking about this with a friend about a month ago. numbers seem to be exploding in the medicine hat area. cant say for sure, but my theory is migration from montana. i cant explain it any other way. i would say numbers have double from january until now, and its not fawns yet, so what else could it be?

i suspect numbers overall will remain depressed for a couple years yet, but definitely higher than last year. mature bucks seemed to be hit terribly. last fall i only saw one buck that i thought would break 80. goodl uck with whatever you decide.

bmac
03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
doesn't matter.
apos has all the antelope tags

packhuntr
03-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Antelope numbers are in the toilet. They are gone. Now would be a good time to build priority. Then again, if you have the time and want to scout, 3 months in the field spent summer scouting may produce results. All depends on how hard a guy can scout and what he needs for an antelope/results after waiting that many years. Probuably going to have a mighty tough time pulling a tag on a P-9 with tag numbers down, especially in a zone worth drawing. Big antelope are where you find them though and you could come up with a smasher anywhere at any time, even now as untimely as it might seem. I wouldnt bet my priority on it, then I try not to run on hopes and prayers, but ya never know. I know of a couple good ones taken last year. If you have to pull it this year I suppose you know what you will have to do,, get at er and show everyone what a cranker is supposed to look like.

packhuntr
03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
doesn't matter.
apos has all the antelope tags

Give it a rest. How many times do guys have to blindly run into the brick wall on this before they grow a brain and look at some numbers. Residents need to be pointing the finger at themselves on this baby. Looking good there bmac, impressive stuff LOL.

cacty
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
ISB will educate us all, don't worry. None of us would know anything about Antelope anyway, leave it to the experts.

elkhunter11
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I am a P9 as well, and I have no illusions of drawing a tag this year, unless SRD boosts the resident tag numbers significantly, as an excuse to not reduce the outfitter allocations.

hal53
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
I am a P9 as well, and I have no illusions of drawing a tag this year, unless SRD boosts the resident tag numbers significantly, as an excuse to not reduce the outfitter allocations.
P9 as well...not even bothering, except for 999, until SRD wakes up and does something about the farce called APOS....one can only hope....at this point....

packhuntr
03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
ISB will educate us all, don't worry. None of us would know anything about Antelope anyway, leave it to the experts.

LOL Cacty! You know I just cant believe we are talking about getting at er already. Totally changed the whole outlook of my day. I think Im ready too! Might have to go fishin or watch WFN to settle down LOL

hal53
03-21-2012, 08:17 PM
LOL Cacty! You know I just cant believe we are talking about getting at er already. Totally changed the whole outlook of my day. I think Im ready too! Might have to go fishin or watch WFN to settle down LOL
Well...without getting into the ad nauseum of you 3 arguing...I thought he asked a legitimate question?. He has noticed more animals driving around this time of year than last year...any explanation???,,,or just belittle other posters again?

packhuntr
03-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Well...without getting into the ad nauseum of you 3 arguing...I thought he asked a legitimate question?. He has noticed more animals driving around this time of year than last year...any explanation???,,,or just belittle other posters again?

I was talking about how good it feels to be thinking about hitting the field scouting etc etc. Wouldnt wanna get in the way of another antelope discussion turning into another witch hunt over where they went and whos fault it is etc etc Hal. So I wont!

Edit, If ya pull your tag good luck and we wanna see pics of a smoker Hal go get em. Wish my priority was up there with you guys!

hal53
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I was talking about how good it feels to be thinking about hitting the field scouting etc etc. Wouldnt wanna get in the way of another antelope discussion turning into another witch hunt over where they went and whos fault it is etc etc Hal. So I wont!

Edit, If ya pull your tag good luck and we wanna see pics of a smoker Hal go get em. Wish my priority was up there with you guys!
We all know who's fault it is...just thought it was strange that ISB was seeing animals...and NO...I won't be pulling this year ,999 yet again....believe me, I know what it's like to see a decimated herd due to the SRD misguided policies very well Thank You...:thinking-006:

elkhunter11
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
We all know who's fault it is...just thought it was strange that ISB was seeing animals...and NO...I won't be pulling this year ,999 yet again....believe me, I know what it's like to see a decimated herd due to the SRD misguided policies very well Thank You...

I think that most of us realize that the solution is to leave the pronghorn alone to build up their numbers, but it's total B.S. that the outfitters will likely be allowed to keep killing off the prime breeding stock, and by doing so, delay the recovery.

hal53
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
I think that most of us realize that the solution is to leave the pronghorn alone to build up their numbers, but it's total B.S. that the outfitters will likely be allowed to keep killing off the prime breeding stock, and by doing so, delay the recovery.
Yup...we all know that...much like here with the Deer...but.....is it just migrating animals. I would assume??, due to the mild winter?...very difficult species to manage, let alone when you include ouitfitters in the equation who scream that that is their only (?) source of income...Sad really that we as residents get the short end of the stick.....

CBintheNorth
03-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know exactly how many antelope tags are allotted to outfitters in Alberta?

sheephunter
03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Considering the big storm that blew into southern alberta this week, has anyone been able to notice the state of the pronghorn herds this winter in their travels around pronghorn country? With the massacre they experienced due to last years winter and the lighter one we received this year, I curious if I should be applying for a pronghorn with my priority 9. Then again with the lack of snow, could this be a drought year?

Pretty hard to say what the year will be like till the Montana herds start heading north but no doubt numbers will still be down. There's two thoughts to drawing when numbers are down. The first is that there aren't many antelope to choose from but the second is that there is very little competition. I drew a tag back in the 90s when numbers were also way down but there where only 12 tags in the entire unit so I had a great hunt and killed a great buck. The dry conditions might hamper horn growth to some degree if we don't get some moisture but if it were me, I'd go hunting just because I'd have most of southern Alberta to myself. You don't get that opportunity often on an antelope hunt in Alberta.

ksteed17
03-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Been a herd of around 15-20 all winter near my place and last week I noticed it doubled if not more.

Speckle55
03-21-2012, 11:12 PM
yes i would pull my tag if i was you .. as in all things if you do your home work and get permission lined up you should do good ..1991 i pulled mine and hunted in the Sage Creek area had a great successful hunt and the Alberta Record came out afew years later:)

Food for Thought
David

Tabers Best
03-22-2012, 12:00 AM
It is odd to say but last year with the harsh winter I actually saw more antelope than this winter around the Taber area. But logic would have to say that this winter has been a blessing. But it definately not going to bring the numbers back yet. I think the need a few more years of "rehab".

ishootbambi
03-22-2012, 12:34 AM
so other guys are seeing it too. i guess i cant say for sure if the animals are moving around the province from areas i havent been to areas i am....or if they are coming from montana, but where i have been chasing coyotes they are definitely up in just the last several weeks. i guess we will know for sure once the counts are done in june or so.

TJ, you make a good point...in years like these the competition is slim so the choices might actually be better. i have a gimme for an archery tag, but im deciding if ill have the time. right now im thinking likely no....but its gonna depend on a few things.

packhuntr
03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
yes i would pull my tag if i was you .. as in all things if you do your home work and get permission lined up you should do good ..1991 i pulled mine and hunted in the Sage Creek area had a great successful hunt and the Alberta Record came out afew years later:)

Food for Thought
David

Thats a migration type hunt Speckle. A guy needs to figure out if he wants to scout summer pattern antelope and hunt them with the premise that they basically are where you found them earlier, or does a guy want post rut/migration type hunt where anything can happen and anything could show up anywhere at anytime. I did a late season hunt back in the early 90's with my first tag. I will never forget those herds, unreal. Id like to see it one more time, but dont think that hunt has been worth a sh*t for a long time, least not like it used to be anyways, from that standpoint. Not sure I will ever see anything like that in Alberta in my lifetime again. What a joy it was just to be there.

scrapper
03-22-2012, 03:05 PM
The winter was good there are a few heards around the Sask/Alberta border in the south that are doing well, if the wheather holds during the drop the population will rebound fairly quickly, we need a dry warm spring to create good conditions for the young.

triple s
03-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Elk and Hal
Why do you decide to cloud the forum with your hatred towards the those who provide hunting oppotunities for tourists to hunt,visit and leave money in our province?
If SRD were to take away the outfitter allocations it absolutely has no merit on our resident harvest licences.
Please explain to everyone the real reasoning why it takes a few years to draw a permit?

CB,
I did some research and there are 44 rifle and 22 archery trophy antelope outfitter allocations. But only 41 out of 66 were used in the 2011 season and the harvest was in the mid 30's.
Triple S

moose maniac
03-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Elk and Hal
Why do you decide to cloud the forum with your hatred towards the those who provide hunting oppotunities for tourists to hunt,visit and leave money in our province?
If SRD were to take away the outfitter allocations it absolutely has no merit on our resident harvest licences.
Please explain to everyone the real reasoning why it takes a few years to draw a permit?

CB,
I did some research and there are 44 rifle and 22 archery trophy antelope outfitter allocations. But only 41 out of 66 were used in the 2011 season and the harvest was in the mid 30's.
Triple S

That is 66 to many

elkhunter11
03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Elk and Hal

I don't hate all outfitters, in fact I have friends who are outfitters. I do however hold contempt for any organization namely APOS who allows convicted criminals and convicted poachers to remain members.

My main concern is that if the pronghorn population has fallen to such low numbers, that the resident tags were reduced by over 90%, why were the outfitter allocations not reduced? A dead pronghorn is a dead pronghorn ,regardless of who kills it, and if the population is really that low, we shouldn't allow any pronghorns to be killed if want them to recover as quickly as possible. If there were enough pronghorns to allow all Albertans who wished to hunt them, do so on a regular basis, I wouldn't have an issue with selling off some of them to be killed by non residents, but as we all know, that isn't the case. This is Alberta, and the tax paying Albertans should come first.

As far as money is concerned, who contributes more to the Alberta economy, those 66 non residents, or all of the tax paying Alberta residents that are applying for tags? Sure a little cash from the non residents goes to local businesses for gas ,food, and lodging, but as a resident who travels a fair distance to hunt, I also purchase gas, food and lodging from those same local businesses. I also purchase most of my firearms, clothing and hunting supplies in Alberta, unlike the non residents who purchase theirs elsewhere.

If those 66 allocations were taken away from the outfitters, the resident tag numbers could be increased by 66 tags, without any effect on the pronghorn population.

By the way, I have to wonder how you personally would be effected if the season was canceled entirely, or if the allocations were reduced, being that your username matches the name of an outfitter that sells pronghorn hunts in Alberta.

Sledhead71
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Have to agree with ISB, numbers this past week or so seem to be increasing.. The herd we have watering here has grown at least 20 - 30 % since January.

packhuntr
03-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Moosemaniac. In another thread about unregulated decimation of alberta resources, you are attacking anything that walks, saying nothing that makes any sence in an attempt to somehow rationalize greed driven single party utilization of resources. Now you are prancing around on display here stating that 66 pronghorn tags (not even close to being fully utilized annually), PURCHASED with intent of CONSERVATION and PROMOTION of ALL resources and the economies that help MAINTAIN and SUSTAIN them for the FUTURE, are basically a waste of a our valuable resources?? LOLOLOLOLOL. You have got to be out of your ******* mind!!!!!! Do yourself a favour, stop watching cartoons while sucking your thumb and join reality.

darius
03-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Antelope numbers are in the toilet. They are gone. Now would be a good time to build priority.

as for the goats, i was talking about this with a friend about a month ago. numbers seem to be exploding in the medicine hat area.

???:confused:

packhuntr
03-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Darius my old pal. Something someone can help you with? You still stuck on that introductory level stuff buddy?

darius
03-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Darius my old pal. Something someone can help you with? You still stuck on that introductory level stuff buddy?

^npa disorder^
:)

just_dave
03-24-2012, 07:22 PM
^npa disorder^
:)

Fixed.

darius
03-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Fixed.

shouldnt you be boasting about this in the truck nutz discusion ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

just_dave
03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
shouldnt you be boasting about this in the truck nutz discusion ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Deal with your issues.

Skeenabilly
03-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Ummm....All I was asking was if this might be a good year to get out of 999 and throw my hat in the ring hoping to get drawn. How did APOS get into my discussion?

triple s
03-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Pretty hard to say what the year will be like till the Montana herds start heading north but no doubt numbers will still be down. There's two thoughts to drawing when numbers are down. The first is that there aren't many antelope to choose from but the second is that there is very little competition. I drew a tag back in the 90s when numbers were also way down but there where only 12 tags in the entire unit so I had a great hunt and killed a great buck. The dry conditions might hamper horn growth to some degree if we don't get some moisture but if it were me, I'd go hunting just because I'd have most of southern Alberta to myself. You don't get that opportunity often on an antelope hunt in Alberta.

X2
The recent weather came in fast and left some moisture. Around my area looks like all species thrived well thoughout this years winter.

Donny Bear
03-25-2012, 07:54 AM

Agree few tags mean little competition. I cant recall the year but it was one of the driest no one was allowing anything off the main roads for fear of fire dug outs were bone dry creeks not even flowing yet we had 3 tags and took 3 bucks all over 78" took from opening day till the last 3 hours of the season. We found good bucks and saw one other hunter, numbers were low, conditions bad, but it was a great hunt!