PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube or Pontoon for flyfishing ?

mesofluk
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
What's the best bag for your buck when it comes to lake fly fishing floating rigs? I would assume the difference is flippers or paddles. Please correct me if i'm wrong, i am looking in to buying one for the lakes.

redneckricer
03-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I personally like pontoons better but if you have to hike in and out the float tubes are a lot more handy

g_trout
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I considered both and I am thinking about a fishing kayak now.

Just my two cents

CamoDerrick
03-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I bought a fishing kayak actually. Less stable, but very maneuverable. It is also very hard to hike in anywhere ha.

Guess it depends on what your going to use it for.

bobalong
03-21-2012, 08:54 PM
With the exception of portability I think the pontoon boat is a better option, more room, warmer, storage, easier to move in wind and if you do ever decide to float the rivers, the pontoon is a must.

brohymn2
03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
taking a leak in a float tube really sucks, just saying

npauls
03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Check out the frameless pontoons.

I was checking one out in a Cabelas catalog and they look pretty sweet.

They pack up nice and small like a belly boat but when inflated are nice and big and get you up out of the water.

I was going to go with a fishing kayak in the future but am now looking at the frameless pontoons or a zodiac style inflatable.

tacklerunner
03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
They all have their benefits. But for your area, the closer you can get to a "boat" to maneuver, the better. Now if you were in BC in the lakes north of Kamloops I would say a belly boat is your only choice for spooky rainbows.

mesofluk
03-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Check out the frameless pontoons.

I was checking one out in a Cabelas catalog and they look pretty sweet.

They pack up nice and small like a belly boat but when inflated are nice and big and get you up out of the water.

I was going to go with a fishing kayak in the future but am now looking at the frameless pontoons or a zodiac style inflatable.

That sounds pretty cool, i'll check that out.

pipco
03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Since we purchased the pontoon boats 4 years ago the 10" zodiac has not been out of storage. The stability, comfort, weight, portability and versatility are all excellent with a pontoon boat.
That said it depends on what kind/size of lakes you'll be fishing as to what will work best.

boot
03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
I have a float tube and a pontoon from Outcast and I rarely use the pontoon.

Pontoon will ride higher, so it may keep you warmer (but you can layer underneath your waders if you're cold). It also has more storage (bigger pockets), but then again, I don't really need that much storage.

The main differences for me are the following:

Pontoon is so much bigger and heavier. Setup and tear down time is much longer. Not to mention if you need to hike in or even walk in from the parking lot, the float tube is much easier to work with.

Pontoon rides higher and has more surface area, so you'll get pushed around by the wind more so than a float tube. At the same time, if the wind picks up heavily and there's a bit of chop of the lake, you'll feel safer (and drier) on the pontoon (albeit pushed around).

I use flippers on both the tube and the pontoon. Although the pontoon has oars, I rarely use them. You really only need the oars if you want to get from 1 area to another in a hurry. Typically if I want to move around, I'll troll with my flippers.

For me, the setup and tear down time, weight, and convenience makes me choose the float tube almost every time. I fish mainly pothole lakes, so that definitely affects my decision as well. If I were fishing larger lakes, the pontoon might get more useage. And of course, if you're talking rivers... don't even think about flippers or float tubes.

Cost is also a consideration... pontoons are much more expensive.

goldscud
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm with you Mr. boot. My fishing buddies both have pontoons, and the three of us all have Fish Cat 4 V-tubes as well. For the past 3 years neither guy has bothered to set up their pontoon boats. The extra time/effort for set-up and the large wind effect has caused them to leave the pontoons in the garage. We regularly use our tubes on large, very windy lakes and haven't been worried about it. Personally, I'd be more nervous in a boat in a big wind than my tube.
Tubes are very easy to move around, easy to anchor, and allow you great stealth for sneaking around a shoreline.

Mxyzptik
03-22-2012, 10:03 AM

Reminds me of a kid that played high school football for us when I was helping coach. At the end of the season in their grade 12 year each senior was allowed to take a black sharpie and write some words of wisdom on the ceiling tiles of the dressing room to inspire future players.

We had one kid who was a funny one. His inspirational message was as follows;

"Happiness is like pizzing your pants. Everyone can see you've done it but only you can feel the warmth."

As coachs we all read the messages after they had left. The only ones that amazed us more than this one were the 2 kids that spelled their own names wrong.:thinking-006:

greylynx
03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I guess the size of the lakes you fish will be the determining factor.

ecsuplander
03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
The frameless pontoons are the way to go, portable and just as quick to set up. Check out the Scadden rampage or the seaeagle 285, I am looking to purchase the seaeagle this spring. I have tubed for years but it is a tough haul in Muir when the weeds get up and you are trying to kick through them. must be easier to paddle over the top of them. You can also hook an electric motor as well.

Gators
03-22-2012, 03:50 PM
I also fish from a Fishcat 4 and they are great little boats. I spin and flyfish from it on smaller lakes and for under $200 they are a great value. I'm ready to fish in minutes, no assembly required and if you gotta leave because of weather just throw it in the back of the truck and deflate it at home. I keep mine in a hockey bag with pump, fins, floatation vest etc so its always ready to go. If your gonna spinfish for pike, I recommend you carry a net and remove the front treble hook from your lure as they tend to get pretty hard to control when you get them in close.

jrs
03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Pontoon. I have my belly boat and borrow a pontoon from time to time. Way more comfortable, especially early in the season when the waters cold, and easier to cast/ see whats going on. Where the bellyboat wins however, is where a walk is needed, especially if there's not much for a trail.

silverdoctor
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Never tried a pontoon but I have a small car and chances are it would be painful to cart around. I've had a creek company ODC420 for about 5 years now, never had a hitch with it.

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16152&cat=249&page=1

I spin and flycast out of it, love it. small and light enough to pack around on my back and in the car.

mesofluk
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
They all have their benefits. But for your area, the closer you can get to a "boat" to maneuver, the better. Now if you were in BC in the lakes north of Kamloops I would say a belly boat is your only choice for spooky rainbows.

Here's the thing, i am from Kamloops. Belly boats are good, if the water is calm. Thanks for the info.

mesofluk
03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=boot;1357456]I have a float tube and a pontoon from Outcast and I rarely use the pontoon.

Pontoon will ride higher, so it may keep you warmer (but you can layer underneath your waders if you're cold). It also has more storage (bigger pockets), but then again, I don't really need that much storage.

The main differences for me are the following:

Pontoon is so much bigger and heavier. Setup and tear down time is much longer. Not to mention if you need to hike in or even walk in from the parking lot, the float tube is much easier to work with.

Pontoon rides higher and has more surface area, so you'll get pushed around by the wind more so than a float tube. At the same time, if the wind picks up heavily and there's a bit of chop of the lake, you'll feel safer (and drier) on the pontoon (albeit pushed around).

I use flippers on both the tube and the pontoon. Although the pontoon has oars, I rarely use them. You really only need the oars if you want to get from 1 area to another in a hurry. Typically if I want to move around, I'll troll with my flippers.

For me, the setup and tear down time, weight, and convenience makes me choose the float tube almost every time. I fish mainly pothole lakes, so that definitely affects my decision as well. If I were fishing larger lakes, the pontoon might get more useage. And of course, if you're talking rivers... don't even think about flippers or float tubes.

Cost is also a consideration... pontoons are much more expensive.[/QUOTE

Thanks a bunch for break down on my question. The frame-less pontoon look's pretty cool. The problem i see with the pontoon is the packing issue, (set-up/tear-down) especially if i'm packing in. In that case the tube's are looking good. What could anyone recommended on floats? If seen a few different types, any favorites?

fishman
03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
well gee where do i begin.....let me see the first tube i was ever in was 1984 and it was made out of a inner tube with a canvas shell around it man that was crude..........i have had just about every kind of tube and now i have a pontoon boat.............i bought a pontoon float tube about 7 years and i still use it more then my pontoon boat i love it but there is still times that i need to take out the pontoon boat....the oars will kick ass compared to trying to use your legs and also i can get my feet right out the water to warm them up and also the electric motor comes in handy time to time...........so in conclusion that all have a purpose and just find one that is right for you as we all have different needs

kinwahkly
03-23-2012, 02:19 AM
I've got a Scadden outlaw escape and it's awesome.

bigdaddy37
03-23-2012, 07:37 AM
I have both. The toon isn't much fun in the wind but I like it for bigger water because I can move distances with less effort. I use the belly boat for smaller water and hike in lakes.

what about this?

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/

Perhaps the best of both worlds. I don't have one, but I sure like what I've seen of them.

Brandon5555
03-23-2012, 08:44 AM
x2 on that, really one of those things you do once and learn that risking bladder damage from holding it in is a better option.:budo: