duncan4
03-22-2012, 01:41 AM
whos got what to say? thinkin of going here or a montana school of taxidermy

Fishhunter
03-22-2012, 07:44 AM
out of calgary? How long of a course?

Shaggy
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
I took the week long course. It gave me the basics to keep going although there is still a lot to learn after that.

buckbrushoutdoors
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
What does something like that cost for a week?

gonefishin
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
I took the 3 weeks course, and if I could do again, I would have went to Montana. At Penn, the teach you the absolute basics, and after talking to a lot of taxidermists and doing some research, they also cut a lot of corners and don't always teach the better ways of doing things.

Shaggy
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
What does something like that cost for a week?

About $1000/week.

bighornrobin
03-22-2012, 12:30 PM
I took the 3 week course 3 years ago in Calgary. He does teach the basics to start a successful business. He also does advanced courses and uses all the advanced techniques and products. I have nothing but good stuff to say with the course I took there. I recommend supporting the Canadian taxidermy industry!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Rackmastr
03-22-2012, 01:54 PM
From what I've seen, I wouldnt spend my money there as there are much better options for quality, information, techniques, etc.

JohnB
03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Go to Montana.

Grizzly Adams
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Penn is still alive? He must be just about as old as Jack Carter of car sales fame. :lol:

Grizz

gonefishin
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Penn is still alive? He must be just about as old as Jack Carter of car sales fame. :lol:

Grizz

Penn doesn't do the teaching anymore. Mark from Select Taxidermy runs the shool, and he just kept the Penn name.

duncan4
03-22-2012, 09:53 PM
If I go to Montana will the taxidermy lisence transfer over.?? I obviously just wanna go to the best place possible to become the best taxidermist.!

dshaw
03-23-2012, 01:41 PM
I did the 3 week course a few years ago and mark was great to work with. His help we sheldon new everything about taxidermy and they have lots of experience. As with any course you take there is basics to learn and then you have to learn more after that. they teach the basics after that and then its up you to take it as far as you want. Of course they have to cut a few corners as your doing doing 6 mounts in 3 weeks so the option to professionally tan hides and all that is out of the questions. I spent ours in another taxidermy shop learning the advanced stuff but it was important to have the basics. I looked into Montana as well but it was out of my price range once out pay for food and lodging and all that so i chose to stay up here. It was well worth my time and money especially if you plan on starting a business and keep learning, they won't teach you all you need to know but you can keep learning. I know even local taxidermists will teach you as well for about the same price as penn. usually a taxidermist will charge about $1000.00 a week to train you.

gonefishin
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
If I go to Montana will the taxidermy lisence transfer over.?? I obviously just wanna go to the best place possible to become the best taxidermist.!

You don't get a taxidermy licence upon completion of the course. As long as you have a building to work out of that is not attached to your house, you just have to get F&W to come and do a quick inspection of the building, and once it is deemed suitable, they will give you the taxidermy licence.

double gun
03-23-2012, 09:23 PM
I took it in Calgary aswell. It does teach you the basics, and I feel I got my moneys worth (considerably cheaper when I took it then now.) BUT if I had it to do over I would go to the states, but I dont know anything about the school you listed. You should join taxidermy.net and read reviews on the different schools/courses available before commiting to anything.

Fishhunter
03-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Took my course 15 years ago from olde Jim. They teach the basics and the rest is learn on your own. Like others said 6 mounts in 3 weeks, tan your own hide(using a brush on tan liquid) etc.. Not sure about cutting corners as much as using different(and in some opinions more inferior) methods. Keep in mind there are lots of different and more advanced techniques out there but maybe prepare to shell out $$$ for that info...