PDA

View Full Version : Deer Co-Cane

Rust
03-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Ok This may stir the pot a little, but I am interested to hear what other ppl think. I have seen this stuff for sale in local sporting goods stores! I asked the owner of one who had it on his shelf what the deal was and said that I thought baiting was ILEAGLE. He gave me something along the lines of if you walk up to it it is not considered baiting, only if you sit over it. Then said that he had already sold 4 pallets of this Deer Co-Cane and was waiting for some kind of grass seed stuff to come in. (this was in early Nov. '07) I just said interesting and carried on my way. But to my way of thinking if you place any kind of food/mineral/salt out that that would be baiting!! So how is it that these places can get and sell the stuff? Anyways what do the rest of you people think?

Mish
03-09-2008, 03:14 PM
I would think it's similar to how marijuana is illegal, but weed smoking paraphernalia is not.

mulecrazy
03-09-2008, 03:20 PM
you can bait all you want if pictures or viewing is what you are after. you just can't hunt over it. No rules as to how far away you need to be from the bait before it is not considered baiting so that is open for interpretation.

Smoke-eater
03-09-2008, 03:28 PM
where are they selling this stuff??

Rust
03-09-2008, 03:29 PM
But these stores load up on the stuff during hunting season. And if you sell 4 pallets of the stuff by early november, it is being used for hunting! So You can't tell me they are selling it to the site see'r/photographer. But I guess there is always a loop-hole somewhere.

Vindalbakken
03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
The biggest loophole is the fact that we have almost no Conservation Officers so the chance of getting caught is almost nil. There are far too many people running around with the attitude that it is only illegal if you get caught - whether it is doing drugs, speeding on the highway, driving drunk, or baiting deer for hunting.

7 REM MAG
03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
you can buy it import sell it and possess so long as you dont hunt over it, ive heard of people who dont allow hunting putting out huge amounts of grain so that the deer dont wander into adjoining fields to get shot. Legal but very aggravating

CaberTosser
03-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm familiar with one fellow whos lives on an acreage west of Priddis who puts out bagged feed for deer on his property. He doesn't hunt them, its just as a means to keep the 'scenery' around for him and his wife to appreciate. I considered it a bit unethical, just in that he was not letting the wildlife be truly wild. Pretty easy rule to follow: 'Do Not Feed The Wildlife' , you see it in every National Park. While I was at his place 2 weeks ago there were 7-9 whitetail in his yard, and they didn't spook as readily as any wild ones I've seen. We'd go out onto the patio and they'd move away a bit, but they halted and resumed feeding still within bow distance. It just wouldn't be a challenge hunting off of this guys patio, but it sure is close to his BBQ!!

Smoke-eater
03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm familiar with one fellow whos lives on an acreage west of Priddis who puts out bagged feed for deer on his property. He doesn't hunt them, its just as a means to keep the 'scenery' around for him and his wife to appreciate. I considered it a bit unethical, just in that he was not letting the wildlife be truly wild. Pretty easy rule to follow: 'Do Not Feed The Wildlife' , you see it in every National Park. While I was at his place 2 weeks ago there were 7-9 whitetail in his yard, and they didn't spook as readily as any wild ones I've seen. We'd go out onto the patio and they'd move away a bit, but they halted and resumed feeding still within bow distance. It just wouldn't be a challenge hunting off of this guys patio, but it sure is close to his BBQ!!

So what are your thoughts on baiting for bears then????? I know this might open a can of worms here............ I know where I stand on the issue. Shouldnt it be the same for bears as well.... dont feed the wildlife??

lynx
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
So what are your thoughts on baiting for bears then????? I know this might open a can of worms here............ I know where I stand on the issue. Shouldnt it be the same for bears as well.... dont feed the wildlife??

X2

300 wsm
03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
very good point about the bears

Smoke-eater
03-10-2008, 03:01 PM
CaberTosser, im not saying your for or agains baiting bears. Just thought your comment fit. Sorry if i offended you.

chuck0039
03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Rust, That stuff your talking about is seed for a food plot or seed you just dump in a pile and wait? If it is a food plot would that still be considered baiting? I mean you can hunt a field that has had a cereal crop planted and the deer feed there aswell what diffrences would a food plot have to a cereal crop if it is illegal?

I often thought of planting a bit of a food plot to see but never did (to lazy and I don't own enough land). I would like to know if infact they are frowned upon or not. This is a very interesting topic Rust if you are indeed referring to a food plot as baiting.

Smoke-eater
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I think it comes down to what is the purpose of the plant/feed. A cereal crop isnt planted for deer. Its a bonus that they like it (not baiting) But if your planting something with the intention of bringing in wildlife i would call it baiting...

mud slug
03-10-2008, 06:01 PM
if its legal to buy plant, grow and feed the deer even though baiting is illegal. why put temptation out there where people can and will use it? it will just bring up the futher questions, how far away do you have to be from it so its not baiting? 20yards 50 100? why not just not sell it and take temptation away.

mmmbucks
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I know plenty of farmers/hunters and friends also outfitters/farmers that plant "cereal crops" or may leave that second cut of alfalfa for the purpose of hunting. They still utilize the crops somewhat, but oops, missed a little in the perfect corner or hmm somehow I missed those few 2nd cut alfalfa bales in the other hidden field. If you hunt and travel around the province it is easy to see what happens and what most people don't realize or don't see. When you ask permission its a quick NO!!! Is it right? Hmmm thats a tough call, I can think of many arguments either way. I may not agree with it, but it happens everywhere. I like hunting those farm fields just like everyone else so if someone wants to go and buy deer co-cane to and sit over that instead, Great!! keeps them away from the big fields where the rest of us are!!! lol

CaberTosser
03-10-2008, 09:49 PM

I've not given a lot of thought to baiting bear, as I never plan on hunting them, nor wolves or cougar for that matter ( I hold a certain reverence for these predators). When I consider some differences between what the fellow I know in Priddis does and baiting bear a few things come to mind. Firstly, this fellow in Priddis is creating a small herd of deer that are partly domesticated, in that they are used to having this feed left out for them, and are less aversive to people. They are less wild as a result. Baiting bear is done sporadically and is not affecting the bears wild behaviour, they are drawn in by the smell of food, not habituated or dependant on its prescence there. Of course, I'm assuming people can't or don't operate year round bait stations that they use like a bear hunting 'drive-thru window'. That would be more like ranching.... and less like hunting. This statement is meant to be a little absurd by the way, just in case some people don't get my drift. As I said, I neither follow nor research bear hunting.

While my exampled aquaintance isn't feeding for hunting purposes, I think him mostly well-intentioned in his naivete. I do think when either method is used as a means to provide easier hunting, it is taking an easier path than I would choose myself. Everyone has their own definition of sportsmanlike, I'll hunt according to mine. I have to admit I've lured Magpies with pet food to tag them with a .177, and will do so again; so I'd be a bit of a hypocrite to say "No Baiting at all" , but I'm comfortable with where I've placed my line.

Rust
03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
HHHMMMMM... there are some interesting thoughts here. I never thought about compairing it to a field before. As for the seed yeah I imagine it would be for a food plot. But I guess what gets me is that it is illegle to bait ungulates in Alberta, but yet sport stores are selling 4L jugs of DEER candy. That sure puts the temptation out there!!!
As far as the Baiting Bears I have no issues, it is legle and I am not sure how else you would ever get one in Bush country.