PDA

View Full Version : Ice at McKinnon Flats?

damaltor
03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Has anybody been out to McKinnon flats in the last week? If so, is the river and shore free of ice?
Not looking to drift, but maybe do some walk and wade.
Thanks for any info.

bubba 96
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Not 100 percent sure there, but we were at the bow where the highwood enters which isnt that far from mikinnon and the ice on the banks were at least 6ft tall in most places landed 3 fish but had to find a spot to get down to the river...This was on sunday..

damaltor
03-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the info.
My guess would be McKinnon is iced in along the shoreline too then.
I went and had a look middle of Feb. and the river was almost completely froze.

Okotokian
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
I've fished Policeman's many times. A while ago I went looking for the entrance/access to McKinnon. How do you get there?

damaltor
03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Well apperently you havent gone past the city cause the highwood is so froze at the bow people were walking across it last sun...Maybe get ur head out your ass and realize where the spot is he is asking about....:snapoutofit:
Guy I was fishing with fell in a crevas up to his waist...

Agree.. been fishing Policeman's all winter, it's been open with some shore ice, at present there is no ice to speak there.
Whereas McKinnon to Caresland the river was frozen solid all winter. Hopefully it will be starting to flow now at McKinnon, but it's the shore ice that makes things difficult. That's what I was looking for info on.

Thanks bubba... I'm sure if Highwood area access is scetchy due to the ice along the banks, then McKinnon will be no different.

bubba 96
03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Agree.. been fishing Policeman's all winter, it's been open with some shore ice, at present there is no ice to speak there.
Whereas McKinnon to Caresland the river was frozen solid all winter. Hopefully it will be starting to flow now at McKinnon, but it's the shore ice that makes things difficult. That's what I was looking for info on.

Thanks bubba... I'm sure if Highwood area access is scetchy due to the ice along the banks, then McKinnon will be no different.

Ya some people arent happy unless there causing ****e....We started at 22x and deerfoot by mckenzie golfcourse and not an inch of snow...made are way down to the highwood and it was tough landing fish due to the heaves....river was flowing good tho, no ice in river....

billie
03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
I've fished Policeman's many times. A while ago I went looking for the entrance/access to McKinnon. How do you get there?

East on 22X to RR 274 (first one after the concrete elevators and the power line) south about 5 km to McKinnon. If you miss 274, the next one has a sign for McKinnon and you double back a mile.