PDA

View Full Version : mule deer scouting tips

brohymn2
03-22-2012, 04:25 PM
hey guys thinking about trying to go after mulies this year, got a few spots where ive seen em regularly and took 2 does with my bow last year, anybody got tips or pointers for scouting these guys, planning on hunting east of edmonton

Fish-killer
03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Pack a lunch, Fill up the tank, Drive range roads in your section.
Bring a spotting scope! Check every bush.... go in the morning!

brohymn2
03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
kinda what i was thinking, how inclined are they to stick to a given area

ishootbambi
03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
the first 2 and a half hours east of edmonton arent that great.....but go 3 hours and it picks up very well......

gman1978
03-22-2012, 09:52 PM
the first 2 and a half hours east of edmonton arent that great.....but go 3 hours and it picks up very well......

That's because you are in Saskatchewan !! It really picks up!

brohymn2
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
That's because you are in Saskatchewan !! It really picks up!

lol

brohymn2
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
actully the inlaws live in wainwright so that might be where i go to try to score a muliebuck

chain2
03-22-2012, 10:11 PM
seek out blooming yellow canola. once the flower drops and the pods start it gets less palatable they move to alpha alpha... again after canola is swathed the regrowth and volunteers sprout so in Sept its good again...scouting is :) :):) part of the hunt..
cant wait, chain

brohymn2
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
cool thanks for the advice

ishootbambi
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
actully the inlaws live in wainwright so that might be where i go to try to score a muliebuck

lol.....dont you remember the stories we heard on here the last couple years....and last fall in particluar about deer numbers? thats the heart of the cwd slaughter. might want to rethink that choice....:)

brohymn2
03-22-2012, 10:19 PM
lol, oh yeah forgot bout that

winged1
03-22-2012, 10:39 PM
I scout extensively north of Drum. I fool them by pretending I'm goose hunting.

Evilsports
03-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Lots of good advice already. Couple things that seem to help me:

-Be out before sun up to catch them moving just before dawn. I find that you can absolutely pattern a muley buck. Look for bachelor herds in bow season. They will typically follow the same basic route to the same basic spots until something/someone gives them a reason not to. Morning time I usually see them heading into coulees and draws. Watch which coulee they head into one morning and then the next morning set up somewhere so you can glass and narrow down there bedding spot within that coulee.

-Once the morning movement is over I have the best luck walking just under the skyline along the tops of coulees. Play your wind and watch for them on the side of the coulees facing the sun, in the mornings. The downside to this is the possibility of spooking them out of there beds. If you do lay low and back out. Get out of there sight as quick as you can to hopefully salvage the spot.

-In the fall, glass every standing crop you come across for antler tips. You'd think you would be able to see them pretty easy, but I've been surprised in a few fields where I was sure there was nothing.

-Bring a GPS, range finder and a compass. When you spot a bedded muley, take a bearing with your compass, range it, and then put a waypoint into your gps with a description of the deer, time of day, etc.

-If you're driving around don't get lazy with your glassing. Make yourself stop and glass every shadow that catches your attention. I catch myself talking myself out of glassing, only to do so and find a deer. Look for horizontal lines in the bushes and trees.

-If it's hard to get to, it's probably a good spot. Don't be afraid to walk a few miles off the beaten path. Worst case scenario you get some exercise and fresh air.

-Invest in a decent spotting scope that collects a lot of light. Also invest in a decent tripod and window mount for it.

-Bring snacks and drinks! It sucks to head back to town because you didn't bring enough water.

packhuntr
03-22-2012, 11:26 PM
All good advise above for sure. Where ever you decide, do it 10 times harder than anyone else. If in doubt about how hard that is, its about 5 times harder than you thought you or your equipment could go LOL. You'll cut the tag, good luck.

brohymn2
03-23-2012, 06:29 AM
cool thanks guys

roger
03-23-2012, 11:50 AM
if i was serious about it, id hook up with a pilot and a slow airplane. take video of the animal and GPS readings.
Comeback asap to scope for permission, trail cams, spotting etc.
at the end of the day, it will cost less than driving for 100's of miles and still not put you in places you cant drive to.
plus, you can be in a number of places in the dawn hour.
a private pilot cannot charge for those services.(any pilots feel free to assist here)

scrapper
03-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Mulie Buck's can often be found bedded in small thickets on hill slopes. I have shot some big mulies just by glassing the hill sides and not concentrating on the coullee bottoms.

brohymn2
03-24-2012, 01:42 PM
thanks guys apreciate the advice, just got a nikon spotting scope as a early bday gift so im gonna put it to good use

bigbuck
03-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Well Its not so much scouting tips you need, Time is the big thing. The more time you have to scout the better your success rate is going to be. Put on lots of miles, get out pre season and see the bucks in there bachelor herds, if your lucky enough you will find a couple that catch your interest, maybe set up a couple trail cams and then hunt them hard when the season opens. Good Luck!

packhuntr
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
For sure, your only as good as what you get in the spotting scope.
EDIT, and its damned tough out there. This province sucks.

chain2
03-25-2012, 08:15 PM
and they will move 5 miles away on a whim or a swather pass...finding them once is sometime the easiest...chain