PDA

View Full Version : It's a slippery slope (Who else killed it at the TFH show?)

Geezle
03-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Oh man.

A week ago I was waiting on a long overdue check and was really feeling the pinch...told myself I wouldn't go to the show.

Then I got a big fat paycheck, got my immediate financial needs caught up, and had a few bucks left...and I started thinking that there are a few things that I *need* for the open water season, so maybe I'd go check out the show, since this is the best time to find a deal, and I'm on a budget!

Started out looking for a new sturgeon rod...didn't quite find what I was looking for, but still ended up with a 9'6" MH Rapala North Coast (40% off). Then I needed a reel, so I scooped up an Abu Garcia 6500 C3.

That's where I should have stopped. :o

But instead I kept wandering around, BSing with some of the guys there, and by the time I was done wandering I'd found a 5'6" UL Shimano Sojourn, a Shimano Caenan, and a rod case. At this point my hands were totally full and I knew I needed to hit the till and pull the plug before I made any more poor financial decisions! :scared0018:

Then I grabbed a couple Rod Butlers at the till :lol:

Ended up spending just shy of $300 and I didn't even get line for the two new reels yet :o :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Oh yeah, I also scored 4 hats, a t-shirt and a pint glass :)

"Chicken today, feathers tomorrow!"

Anybody else kill it at the show? :lol:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Well I Sold my Quad Today and Im going to the show tommorow , and for Bass pro next weekend and for buying my new boat they kindly gave me a 1000 gift card . :lol: I see how this is going to turn out . Gonna need a 2nd truck to house all my gear , back seats already full . Actually im thinking of puting 3 or 4 of my set ups for sale to someone who could use em .

ghostguy6
03-23-2012, 01:12 AM
That ultra light will be good for the trout and lake X. Ill assume youll be out to play tomorrow?

thorne
03-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Hummmm....I very clearly remember asking if you were hitting the show and I also clearly remember the " Sorry not this year" responce....I knew should have known better, once a fish'a'holic.....well you know the rest. As for me, Ill be there after an early day at work today and well.....yes my intensions are for a down rigger, so Im taking the amount of cash I need for that and leaving the cards at home. Im not a proud man...I know Im weak. Im also taking my sponcer to insure I dont relapse....God give me strength!:medium-smiley-035:

Geezle
03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
That ultra light will be good for the trout and lake X. Ill assume youll be out to play tomorrow?

Hard to say...I may swing by after work but the weather is looking pretty crappy...:o

Geezle
03-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Hummmm....I very clearly remember asking if you were hitting the show and I also clearly remember the " Sorry not this year" responce....I knew should have known better, once a fish'a'holic.....well you know the rest. As for me, Ill be there after an early day at work today and well.....yes my intensions are for a down rigger, so Im taking the amount of cash I need for that and leaving the cards at home. Im not a proud man...I know Im weak. Im also taking my sponcer to insure I dont relapse....God give me strength!:medium-smiley-035:

Yup, funny how things change ;)

I seem to recall that you weren't going to be able to hit the show either...? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Tyangelo
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I had to leave my wallet in the car. Some decent sales on plugs, softbaits, etc.

Bhflyfisher
03-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Didnt buy a single thing. Fly rods werent needed this year and thats where the sales usually are, pike fly line was only 10% off so didn't bother. Can find that somewhere else or at the wall to wall clearance. Nothing else caught my eye. It seemed like it was really thinned out this year compared to other years. Oh well the spending money for that will be used at the fly shop in Naples FLA! :sHa_shakeshout:

thorne
03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Yup, funny how things change ;)

I seem to recall that you weren't going to be able to hit the show either...? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Well you see Mike has a few K to drop on electronics and down riggers...so he wants me along as a consultant. So ill just spend his money. I do need 1 more down rigger though, gotta keep my crew happy so they don't get poached by other boats!

McLeod
03-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Any good seminars...

Fred N used to give some and they were great..He doesn't do any anymore and last year they are a joke accept for How to survive Grizzly's..always like that one..

sureshot
03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I did ok as you know. I got 2 new rods a low profile bait caster and a rod case for a 100 bucks. It was a well deserved stress relief. And it was very nice meeting Vic from STS.

Andy

Nickote316
03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I got an Amundson TXS for 80 bucks and a redington CT fly rod for 100. Plus a bunch of AO magazines

Lefty-Canuck
03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Picked up a spinning rod, a baitcasting rod and reel....and some breathable waders.....all to the tune of about $450........OH and I picked up a subscription to AO.....so I am about $500 bones lighter in the wallet.....

damnit.....:)

LC

Geezle
03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I did ok as you know. I got 2 new rods a low profile bait caster and a rod case for a 100 bucks. It was a well deserved stress relief. And it was very nice meeting Vic from STS.

Andy

...and then you went back on Friday...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

javlin101
03-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Man stay away from Bass Pro, I was down in Calgary for work and stop in at Bass Pro to return a UL Shimano rod that had arrived broken. Well wouldn't you know it they gave me a gift card for it. So in I go and didn't get more than 1/4 way through the store and tallied up $200.00 in stuff. Had to turn around and run for the exit, darn where is the exit. lol The place is absolutely amazing and the staff were great helping pick out a Walleye rod. Going there is like giving your kid your credit card and let them loose in Toys Are Us.

03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Well Dangerious play to attend , Spent a little over 1100 bucks , but im nicely outfitted now .

They had the Hyostatic Mustang Lifejackets that go from fitting men like Jay to guys like me . And you wont get a face full of PFD when out fishing in the rain these are set of with water pressure . 4 inches of water and POOOOOOOFT .

Got I think 8 rods , 6 reels , and wanted a big net with long pole but they didnt have what I wanted so i will do that when im at bass pro next weekend picking up my boat .

I by far like this show the best . Ran into some fine AO folks , Had a chat with Rob and Jamie , Made a little money at the Great Pacific Salmon Lodge Booth had people looking 10 yards in either Direction with Jamies reaction on them hooks .

ALL IN ALL GREAT TIME .

Cal
03-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Oh man.

A week ago I was waiting on a long overdue check and was really feeling the pinch...told myself I wouldn't go to the show.

Then I got a big fat paycheck, got my immediate financial needs caught up, and had a few bucks left...and I started thinking that there are a few things that I *need* for the open water season, so maybe I'd go check out the show, since this is the best time to find a deal, and I'm on a budget!

Started out looking for a new sturgeon rod...didn't quite find what I was looking for, but still ended up with a 9'6" MH Rapala North Coast (40% off). Then I needed a reel, so I scooped up an Abu Garcia 6500 C3.

That's where I should have stopped. :o

But instead I kept wandering around, BSing with some of the guys there, and by the time I was done wandering I'd found a 5'6" UL Shimano Sojourn, a Shimano Caenan, and a rod case. At this point my hands were totally full and I knew I needed to hit the till and pull the plug before I made any more poor financial decisions! :scared0018:

Then I grabbed a couple Rod Butlers at the till :lol:

Ended up spending just shy of $300 and I didn't even get line for the two new reels yet :o :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Oh yeah, I also scored 4 hats, a t-shirt and a pint glass :)

"Chicken today, feathers tomorrow!"

Anybody else kill it at the show? :lol:

You aught to love that C3, my absolute favorite baitcaster. Is it one of the new Chinese made ones? Can still find Swedish made ones sitting around in the display cases of Crappy Tire, I wanna know if the new ones are decent or if I should stock up on the swedish ones while I still can, even though I always swear I'm going to quit using baitcasters one of these years.

03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
i always swear i'm going to quit using baitcasters one of these years.

lol no one likes a quitter .

Geezle
03-24-2012, 01:16 PM
You aught to love that C3, my absolute favorite baitcaster. Is it one of the new Chinese made ones? Can still find Swedish made ones sitting around in the display cases of Crappy Tire, I wanna know if the new ones are decent or if I should stock up on the swedish ones while I still can, even though I always swear I'm going to quit using baitcasters one of these years.

I just checked and it's stamped 'Made in Sweden'.

Tried it out yesterday and I really like it, though I'm not a huge fan of the clutch release or whatever it's called...I'm used to having a thumb bar.

03-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Tried it out yesterday and I really like it, though I'm not a huge fan of the clutch release or whatever it's called...I'm used to having a thumb bar.

You know Jay thats how I use to be to , But that Clutch is far better and better for longer casts I think . Thats my opinion though . Youve seen me cast with that new reel .

Cal
03-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Awesome! You should get some top notch performance for a long time out of that baby! By "clutch release" I'm asuming you mean the little button tab release thingy on the side, never knew what its called. I always assumed that maby its a simpler system that stands up better or is easyer to maintain in sal****er conditions or somthing since it only comes on their larger reels.

BTW they are realy easy to maintain and repair, when I was on a road trip in Alaska I did some work for a guide who took me and my wife out salmon fishing in return. He used Ambasadeurs on 8' uglysticks pretty much exclusively and had collected a box full of Ambasadeurs that had given up the ghost over the years. I got bored one evening and started tinkering with them and by the time I was done I had most of them in working order except for one or two which I used for parts but they were very easy reels to work on.

Yéil
03-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Hubby and I went today and just got back to town from the show. We had a great time, met the guys from AO and bought a few new lures. There were a couple of men and I looking at the waders and they thought the line should include pink ones for us girls... had a good chuckle over that.

BBJ, I think you'll like the mustang gear, I wore my Navy issued ones for years and loved them.

bsnyder
03-24-2012, 08:56 PM
CRAP:(, was going to drive in from BigRiver but had to work the BigRiver Ice Durby and then sompin else come up.OH-well probably saved me a bunch of cash and 2 tanks of fuel.:(

Dewey Cox
03-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Picked up a new bait cast setup on Thursday. The wife isn't nearly as excited about it as I am.

bobalong
03-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Picked up a new Humminbird 798ci HD SI combo and ordered a St. Croix Walleye Tournament jigging rod.

sureshot
03-25-2012, 01:27 AM
...and then you went back on Friday...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Had different reasons on friday though, I took one of our friends kids as he has no one to mentor him. So I took him and showed him the different tackle and such. Then put a tackle box together for him and a rod and reel. But I did enjoy going again.

Andy

Willowtrail
03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Had different reasons on friday though, I took one of our friends kids as he has no one to mentor him. So I took him and showed him the different tackle and such. Then put a tackle box together for him and a rod and reel. But I did enjoy going again.

Andy

That's one lucky kid.

You're a stand up guy Andy.

Nice job

03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
That's one lucky kid.

You're a stand up guy Andy.

Nice job

X2