PDA

View Full Version : Any Spey Fishers Here?

Abby87
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Anyone here flyfish with a spey rod? I did alot back in BC and will be going after the big bulls and pike in the rivers here in AB. Its a blast.

So do you and where?

slingshotz
03-22-2012, 11:59 PM
I got into it a little last year and have only tried it in the Bow. Haven't caught anything yet but I really need a new line, my starter used line is sinking so it's really hard to get the D loops in.

Gonna try and get better so that I can Spey fishing the rivers in BC and Europe.

ryanheartssteelhead
03-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Big time...
Most of the time I'm on the Bow. I take 2-3 trips to BC for steelhead each year. The most exciting part, is having a Steelhead/trout take a dry from your spey rod.

Lornce
03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Us a Spey rod a lot swinging, and skidding bitches on the Bow over the last 7 years. Plus up at the coast Chasing Chrome on the Skeena etc. when I get a chance. Meiser 12 ft 4 wt with hardy wide reel in the picture.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq127/LornceLornce/IMGP0646.jpg

braggadoe
03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
I did 9 seasons in 11 years on the rio grande. the only place in world with more wind than where i live.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/braggadoe/JERRY.jpg

lucky enough to spend all summer,every summer on the dean.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/braggadoe/DSC_0143.jpg

life is good!!
tug is the drug!!

Abby87
03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Right on guys, and nice pics!

I also chase steelhead and salmon in BC!

Just bought a new Beulah series Platinum Spey the 12'4" #8

greylynx
03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
What do guys figure it would cost to get set up with above average equipment(not top end) into Spey?

What if I budgeted about a thousand bucks to get into Spey. Could I get a decent setup?

Jayhad
03-23-2012, 01:09 PM
I spey cast, but am not an dedicated spey angler. I think both double and single spey casts should be in every fly anglers tool box. I probably single hand spey cast 75% of my casts becuase it is so easy, and quick.... equalling more casts and more drifts.

There are many places where spey is inappropiate and I've witnessed many spey anglers put down fish on small water with water loading. I've done it myself.

Greylnx you could grab a Redington CPX spey, and a $300 reel and a $100 line and still have some cash for an extra value meal.

Abby87, Spey can be done here and done well, the Bow is suited for it. For bulls most water where they are fished around here a spey will be a little big.
You from Abbotsford?

Abby87
03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
What do guys figure it would cost to get set up with above average equipment(not top end) into Spey?

What if I budgeted about a thousand bucks to get into Spey. Could I get a decent setup?

If your serious about it pm me and i can give you a contact email for a guy who im buying mine off of. He knows his stuff, also a spey instructor and gives seminars. Theres 2 setups I was looking at. ones 800 range the other 1000. Tell him your needs and he will set you up with rod, reel, line, shooting heads etc.

Abby87
03-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I spey cast, but am not an dedicated spey angler. I think both double and single spey casts should be in every fly anglers tool box. I probably single hand spey cast 75% of my casts becuase it is so easy, and quick.... equalling more casts and more drifts.

There are many places where spey is inappropiate and I've witnessed many spey anglers put down fish on small water with water loading. I've done it myself.

Greylnx you could grab a Redington CPX spey, and a $300 reel and a $100 line and still have some cash for an extra value meal.

Abby87, Spey can be done here and done well, the Bow is suited for it. For bulls most water where they are fished around here a spey will be a little big.
You from Abbotsford?

I have fished for bulls and pike alot in the Athab river and have done well. Its how I can connect with the big bulls easily. Same with the Jasper Rivers

No I am not from or near Abbotsford

ryanheartssteelhead
03-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Call Brian Niska from Whistler Fly Fishing. www.whistlerflyfishing.com
He'll take all the time in the world to make sure you get what you need.

Albertafisher
03-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I just got into spey fishing this year, and so far so good! It cost me about $600 to get into it. I have a Echo 2hand 12'6"solo, with an Amundson Wind Warrior spey, paired up with a Rio Skagit 450g Head and Rio shootingline, Dacron backing.
I find casting a skagit head feels so much nicer than shooting a one handed rod. But that's just personal opinion. I'm going to start drifting some bigass streamers and stuff on the NSR.
What do you guys usually cast? Scandi or Skagit?

Abby87
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I just got into spey fishing this year, and so far so good! It cost me about $600 to get into it. I have a Echo 2hand 12'6"solo, with an Amundson Wind Warrior spey, paired up with a Rio Skagit 450g Head and Rio shootingline, Dacron backing.
I find casting a skagit head feels so much nicer than shooting a one handed rod. But that's just personal opinion. I'm going to start drifting some bigass streamers and stuff on the NSR.
What do you guys usually cast? Scandi or Skagit?

Skagit!