PDA

View Full Version : Has Alberta been overhunted for bear?

broadfieldpoint
03-10-2008, 07:56 AM
This comment was recently made. Since they allow 2 bears, there is a consensus that they are "running out" of the big boars. What do guys think?

falco
03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
We have no shortage of bears around Cold Lake. Also, most guys hunting bear now are just looking for a good rug or skull and most only shoot one anyway.

lynx
03-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I have lots of bear around my neck of the woods. Never see anyone hunting them there

Copidosoma
03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Lots of bears around.
Problem is that people only want the "big boars".
Especially if they are paying an outfitter a pile to get them.

I won't lose sleep if they don't get what they want.
Lots of bears around.

Hmmm, almost looks like a poem.

Smoke-eater
03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
This comment was recently made. Since they allow 2 bears, there is a consensus that they are "running out" of the big boars. What do guys think?

where did this info come from????

I came from Van. Island. That small Island has had a 2 bear limit for I dont know how long and there is no shortage of bears there. There are a lot of outfitters and bear hunters there and huge bears are still taken every yera.... Im sure if that little place can manage a 2 bear limit this huge province can too.. JMO

Tuc
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Approx 36,000 bears and I'm sure there are lots of boars in there.

Problem is that people only want the "big boars".

Well, a sow with cubs is protected, that might weigh into it some.

broadfieldpoint
03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=Tuc;121843]Approx 36,000 bears and I'm sure there are lots of boars in there.

Sounds about right!

Rigg dogg
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I have to agree Falco, I live out by Cold Lake.
Come out here in the spring and fall and you can shoot them as they run across my front lawn. Got a nice one last Oct in the driveway.
They are starting to become a pain in the *****.

gunslinger
03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
alberta is still famous for the big old bears that we have, ive seen you post about 3 differetn threads on bears here in alberta. are you coming this year or planning for next.
there is tons of bears in the remote bush and the population is growing every year.

tyee43
03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
There are still a lot of bear in Alberta, and lots of big guys...south or north, but particularly in the north. :)

tyee43

broadfieldpoint
03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
alberta is still famous for the big old bears that we have, ive seen you post about 3 differetn threads on bears here in alberta. are you coming this year or planning for next.
there is tons of bears in the remote bush and the population is growing every year.

I am certainly thinking about it. I am also looking closely at your fly in camp...looks irresistable!

MathewsArcher
03-11-2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/faculty/mark_boyce/uploads/pdf/Czetwertynski07.pdf

Sophie M. Czetwertynski study comparing the unhunted Cold Lake Airweapons range to the hunted conklin study area (2 bear area) indicates mature bears >5 years of age are definately underrepresented in a hunted area. This may not hold true for other areas of the province.

Removal of the large mature boars by hunting seems to have increase overall numbers (higher survival rates of young) but the number of males >5 definately showed a marked decrease from an unhunted refuge area.

Bears in CLAWR were older than bears in
Conklin. The median age of female bears was 2
years older in CLAWR than in Conklin (6.0 yr in
CLAWR, n 5 20, and 4.0 yr in Conklin, n 5 38;
Mann-Whitney U 5 270, P 5 0.070; Fig. 2). The
oldest bear trapped in 2001 was a 22-year-old female
from CLAWR. Females .5 years old represented
90% of all females trapped in CLAWR and 53% of
all trapped females in Conklin. Male bears in
CLAWR were older than their counterparts in
Conklin (CLAWR: median 5 4.0, n 5 17; Conklin:
median 5 3.0, n 5 51; Mann-Whitney U 5 188, P ,
0.001; Fig. 3). Trapped males .4 years old in
CLAWR were 82% of all trapped males, but 31%
of bears trapped in Conklin. Only 6% of bears
trapped in Conklin were.5 years old compared with
41% of bears in CLAWR. Captures in Conklin
between 2002 and 2004 for which we had age data
revealed a similar trend; 63% of male bears were 2–3
years old and only 16% were .4 years old (n 5 19).
No 3-year-old males were captured summer of 2001
in CLAWR.

Some formatting lost from the pdf copy "." was ">" in the original. ???

Copidosoma
03-11-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/faculty/mark_boyce/uploads/pdf/Czetwertynski07.pdf

Sophie M. Czetwertynski study comparing the unhunted Cold Lake Airweapons range to the hunted conklin study area (2 bear area) indicates mature bears >5 years of age are definately underrepresented in a hunted area. This may not hold true for other areas of the province.

Removal of the large mature boars by hunting seems to have increase overall numbers (higher survival rates of young) but the number of males >5 definately showed a marked decrease from an unhunted refuge area.

Some formatting lost from the pdf copy "." was ">" in the original. ???

I wonder if this research will stand up to speculation.:rolleyes:

gunslinger
03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
you bet sophie was doing the study for sure, she was in cmap a few times when me and my cousin were guiding for don ayers up there, apos also auctioned off a enjoyable day wiht sophie pulling cubs and such out of there dens to do research in the winter time...

broadfieldpoint
03-12-2008, 03:17 PM
What does this study prove? Not much I'd say.

packhuntr
03-12-2008, 05:20 PM
It proves there are no " really big bears,,,, you know,,, GIANTS, " left in Alberta!!:lol:

Sorry, just kiddin around Broadpoint.:wave:

keep a strain on er.

fat cat
03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Only big bears I know of left in Alberta are up near gunslingers camp.

packhuntr
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Yup, that is fact.

keep a strain on er.

broadfieldpoint
03-12-2008, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=packhuntr;122740]It proves there are no " really big bears,,,, you know,,, GIANTS, " left in Alberta!!:lol:

Sorry, just kiddin around Broadpoint.:wave:

Very funny......it doesnt matter.....I love your province and will keep searching for the BIG one!:lol:

packhuntr
03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Have you narrowed your search for areas and outfitters down any Broadfieldpoint?? Are you planning to hunt this spring??

keep a strain on er.

broadfieldpoint
03-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Pack...Yes...i am planning on hunting this spring. I havent totally decided on where....I am a little skeptical about the weather...last year i hunted May 11-19th....it snowed on me twice! The week afterm I was in camp....3 bears were taken over 19". So...i am trying to navigate through all of this....Suggestions???

fat cat
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
It seldem snow in july. might want to try that. I seen a realy big bear on the canfor road mile 356 17yrs ago might still be there.

fat cat
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Broad: just funnin with you. Honestly man no one here can tell you the size,colour, time of shot,etc. You gotta book your hunt, trust your outfitter and hope the weather is in your favor. It's hunting, it's a gamble, if you want us to tell you when where and how, that too is a gamble. the more different answers you get the more you will be confused.

broadfieldpoint
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Broad: just funnin with you. Honestly man no one here can tell you the size,colour, time of shot,etc. You gotta book your hunt, trust your outfitter and hope the weather is in your favor. It's hunting, it's a gamble, if you want us to tell you when where and how, that too is a gamble. the more different answers you get the more you will be confused.

This sounds right:

Nationwide
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
This comment was recently made. Since they allow 2 bears, there is a consensus that they are "running out" of the big boars. What do guys think? I believe this to be true and anyone wanting to hunt bears should go to Sask and leave whitecourt alone.:wave: