PDA

View Full Version : Will the big bears be out early this year?

Goose101
03-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Whats you opinion?

Dick284
03-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Where ya taking about?:sign0176:

337, 330, have about 2 to 2.5 feet of snow on the ground in the bush.(more snow forcast for Monday) -10ish lows at night, and highs are only single digit for at least the next 10 days.

No not a chance for where I mentioned.

Rackmastr
03-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Every year guys get a bit worked up and wonder if big bears will be out early, a lot of guys will spend a ton of money on fuel and time hunting 'early' season bears wtih the hope of things getting good early. Im my opinion and experience, the timing almost ALWAYS lines up within a week for when bears really start to show up, and start to get good.

3rd week in May is when things usually seem to be about the best....bears will always be seen earlier around but it seems the 'bulk' of the good stuff lands close to the same time each year.

cmcclung
03-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Spoke with the ranger in waterton yesterday and apparantly there was a grizzly shot in the crowsnest pass in self defense. So there are a few starting to come out. And there is still quite a bit of snow in the mountains.

mightybuck
03-25-2012, 02:10 PM
A buddy of mine shot a book bear on may4th the first time he sat in his stand. our two biggest bears to our bait were the first week on may.. I think the big boars need a little snack before going to check out the ladies..

pseelk
03-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I have seen bears on baits as early as mid april,but for spot and stalk as Rackmastr said 3rd week of may is best time to start.

scrapper
03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't think a mild winter mean early bears there is a little more to it than that.

Grizzly Adams
03-25-2012, 05:40 PM
A buddy of mine shot a book bear on may4th the first time he sat in his stand. our two biggest bears to our bait were the first week on may.. I think the big boars need a little snack before going to check out the ladies..

Hey, May is still over a month away. :D Shot my Grizz on May 8. Was out poking around today. Still a lot of snow in the bush, way too much to consider walking most places. Saw a triple set of cougar tracks though, right down the middle of a plowed road. :D Won't see any action till there's something for them to eat and that won't happen next week . Another snowfall warning for tonight.

Grizz

BrownBear416
03-25-2012, 06:22 PM
1st week of may is usually to early and not much green.

2nd/3rd week are always prime time and lines are nice and green.

Last week in May is kinda sketchy as the bush greens up and the trees bud out and the bears arent out on the lines as much.I dont think i would kill a bear this late where I hunt as most have lost there underwool and hides arent nearly as thick.

The big boars really move though towards the end of May once they start lookin for sows so its a good time to get a pumpkin head..

Goodluck

Loper
03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Real hunters don't wait for them to come out. They go in and get them.

hal53
03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Spoke with the ranger in waterton yesterday and apparantly there was a grizzly shot in the crowsnest pass in self defense. So there are a few starting to come out. And there is still quite a bit of snow in the mountains.
You do know that unlike Black Bears...Grizzlies don't actually "hibernate???"

Stumpslayer
03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Just want to weigh in, I've been baiting for a few years now, and we get smaller bears in Mid April, but like alot of other guys are saying in this thread the big ones dont come until the last two weeks of May. So baiting will bring you in bears as soon as they start heading out but in my opinion watch the trees and grass, when you start seeing clover and danylions and buds on the trees they are definately out and about.

Spot and stalk you definately need the feed on the ground/pipelines before you see any bears.

Not even going to put baits out for at least a week or two depending on the weather, supposed to warm up quite a bit this week so, we will see. I will post some trail cam pics later this spring.

medicmoose
03-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Typically I put my baites out super early every year and the first bear (s) i will have are decent sized boars how every they are usually nocturnal coming in after midnight. Or I wind up with a griz right off the bat and that screws things up for the B-bears. Seems like things start to get going by the end of may (not great) but are really good the second week of june. To bad the season isnt open then.

matt

steve
03-25-2012, 08:09 PM
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/sherrittmetals/39b5d7d1.jpg

BrownBear416
03-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Real hunters don't wait for them to come out. They go in and get them.

HaHa i will run the camera :)

cmcclung
03-26-2012, 11:07 AM
You do know that unlike Black Bears...Grizzlies don't actually "hibernate???"

Everything online says that they hibernate. Not sure what you mean. I think you're talking about how they come out and go back depending on weather. The ranger said they tend do this as the weather warms up and they'll only go back in the den if the weather gets bad. Other than that, i did not know that grizzley bears don't hibernate?