PDA

View Full Version : Loads of deer out

Smackdown
03-26-2012, 09:01 PM
So my daughter is learning how to drive and wanted to take the old truck out today.....I figured we could look for some coyotes along the way and have some bonding time. Is it just me or has there been an increase in the number of deer out tonight? I have heard many of you guys talk about numbers being down because of all the snow in 2010/11 and was starting to believe it when I was harvesting around home last fall. After tonight I am not so sure what to think. I am in zone 252 and in the 3 mile radius around my house I saw at least 5 different herds with a minimum of 15 to 20 deer in them. It is really nice to see but now I am wondering where the heck they came from (and yes I have been told the story of the birds and bees :) ) Not one had horns although the one of the four moose we saw did. Any thoughts?

sunsetrider2011
03-26-2012, 09:51 PM
They have had a really good winter this year, and they look to be in pretty good shape, lotsa mule deer and whiteys hanging about in some decently sized groups

yoteblaster
03-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Saw more whitetail in the last 2 days than I have in the last 2 years! REALLY nice to see.

Bearen09
03-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Seen 3 last night still packing there head gear...... I have never seen this before....If I didn't see it for myself I wouldn't beileve it.....Wow is all I can say.

alpineguy
03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
There was a herd of 20 whitetail does in front of my house this morning. The herd has been growing the last couple of weeks, maybe preparing for birthing?
Also have a herd of 45 elk that is less than a mile away.
Game numbers seem good around here.

chain2
03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
yep seeing lots now but really this is when they yard up for the most palatable feed. Moms are needing the best quality they can find...so really we're likely seein "all" of them now. I know every spring looking for bears there's deer every 50 yards but not so in the fall. They travel a good ways to get to where they need to be...IMO chain

Speckle55
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Yep lots here too but end of April and into May you will see whats really there .. hunting season is a bad time to judge and if you are watching the tracks in the bush during hunting season its a better judge.:)

Food for Thought
David

trophyboy
03-27-2012, 06:46 PM
The deer tend to herd up in winter. Soon they will disperse and the reality of very poor deer numbers will again become evident. The numbers are very bad in most areas of the province and will be that way for a few years at least. The numbers will slowly come back but only if managed properly.

moose maniac
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I have seen dozens the last week or so around my place in 3 creeks.

elkamaholic
03-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Definitely yarded up right now, saw some very large groups over the past few weeks but it is deceiving. It is going to be a while before the age structure and population recovers.

ronj
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Lots whitetail around Redwater saw a herd of 31 last week..talking about a doe draw in 250 next year?