PDA

View Full Version : where to buy black powder

slough shark
03-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Myself and a friend of mine are wanting to go out and shoot a flintlock that he recently got, we have only found the pyrodex stuff not actual black powder and it doesn't work very well. Looking for ffg I believe.

Big Daddy Badger
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Where you at?
Does you no good to list off places in Edmonton if you live in Pincher Creek...:)

slough shark
03-26-2012, 11:16 PM
oh right I live in Calgary oops :)

Big Daddy Badger
03-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Should be able to get it a WSS...unless they are out again.
Maybe Bass Pro?

If you ever pop up to Edm...Cabellas and P and D seem to always have some in stock.

slough shark
03-26-2012, 11:34 PM
wss has never had it when we have gone to check it out, bass pro doesn't carry it :sign0176:

30-30
03-26-2012, 11:46 PM
pyrodex is a blackpowder substitute I have used it in many applications and have never had a problem with it . What cal. are you shooting, I usually used fffg with great results. Look it up on the hodgdon website. A quote from them.

"Pyrodex RS can be used in all calibers of percussion muzzleloading rifles and shotguns. It has a wide application of uses and is the most versatile powder in the Pyrodex line. Like all grades of Pyrodex, it burns cleaner and produces less fouling than blackpowder. RS compares to 2F blackpowder on a particle size basis."
Sixer

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Caroline sporting goods, or try raynershine reloading products, or try Doug and Becky Middleton, in Sask (hill folks black powder supplies)

slough shark
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
To be honest since it isn't my gun I don't know the actual brand of rifle, it is a flintlock though and we noticed last time that we tried to use it the pyrodex didn't light in the flash pan with any sort of consistancy. From what we have looked into the actual black powder is more consistant at ignition.

30-30
03-28-2012, 12:35 AM
I just looked again at the hodgdon site and I don't see a listing for the ffffg
priming powder I used to buy, so I don't know what to tell you, I hope you can find something that works because there is nothing like shooting black powder rifles.If you find a priming powder don't worry about using the Pyrodex as your charge powder.
Sixer

catnthehat
03-28-2012, 05:27 AM
oh right I live in Calgary oops :)

Will Bilozir in Dewinton has black Powder.
(403) 938 6066
Cat

Dean2
03-28-2012, 07:01 AM
In a flintlock real black powder is the only answer. Any of the substitutes require quite a lot higher temperatures to ignite and don't work well in flinters. Even in side lock percussions, many guys have had to go to musket nipples and caps to get them to go off consistently. Subs work good in in-line MLs.

What size BP you looking for FFFg or FFg. Usually FFFg at 45 call and below and FFg 50 and over, though I know guys that get way better groups with 3F in 50 and 54s. Have to play around to know for sure. For the priming pan 3F works fine, instant ignition in a well set up flinter. 2F may be a little slower touching off but again won't know till you try it.

Both can be bought any time at Caroline supplies at $31/lb, and they have 4F if you want it for priming, but it is a bit of a hike. Cat says Bilozir in Dewinton carries it so am going to give them a cal and see if he has any FFFg and what his price is. Rayner'Shine is opening in Medicine Hat and carries black powder. Much better prices at $16/lb as long as you don't have to ship it.

catnthehat
03-28-2012, 07:22 AM
In a flintlock real black powder is the only answer. Any of the substitutes require quite a lot higher temperatures to ignite and don't work well in flinters. Even in side lock percussions, many guys have had to go to musket nipples and caps to get them to go off consistently. Subs work good in in-line MLs.

X2! You don't want to go anywhere near a flinter with anything but real black powder.
Many fellas use FFFG in the charge and the barrel, I still prefer FFFFG in the pan however.

If you are shooting a 50 or smaller , FFFG is what you want for charge powder.
Cat

saskbooknut
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Hillfolk Musket Supplies, Senlac, Saskatchewan for Black Powder
Becky Middleton, Phone: 306-228-2949
or see them at Gun Shows in Saskatchewan and Alberta