PDA

View Full Version : Reloading books?

jacobin
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
A question for you members that reload.
I know that there are a lot of different reloading manual for all the different companies, and that it is always good to have a few different reloading manual to compare loading data.

What i am wondering is if there is a particular manual that you would recommend to read before you start reloading? Are there any classic reloading manual that one should just have to read before that person starts reloading.

If there aren't, and most reloading manuals give the same basic information than that is just as good, and I will just start to look for a manual.

thanks for your time,

Jacobin

joeya
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Here is one I have learned a great deal from, the ABC's of Reloading with Bill Chevalier. Not a reloading manual, but an education source. I ordered mine from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.ca/Abcs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/0896896099

alpining
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm no expert, but I like Lee's book "Modern Reloading" and the Hornady manual.

For load data, I highly recommend cross-referencing as many sources as you can (anybody know if reloading manuals are in the library?). You can also find load data on bullet and powder manufacturers' websites, too. Sometimes you'll find one manual has a min or max load that seems out of spec compared with the others. I cross-reference as much as I can to address this. Also, be aware that different manuals provide data for different selections of powders.

Loki610
03-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Lees modern reloading is a good start, and has a wide range of data for the different bullet types and powders. After that buy the manual for the bullet manufacturers that you use, then you can cross reference between the books and hodgdsons website.

257Shooter
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Lee's reloading gets my vote. Not big on thier data but it's a great learning tool.

whitetailhntr
03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
The speer manuel is one of the better ones out there IMHO. It's very detailed and is loaded with good info. It also seems to list way more cartridges than others do.

catnthehat
03-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Lyman has a good manual, as do Lee, Hornady, Nosler, and a few others.
Cat

SHORTMAG
03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm with Cat on this one as well. ...Lyman has a great manual. They're not biased towards any others bullets. I always try to use the manual for the bullets I'm reloading...ie...nosler for Nosler bullets....Speer for Speer bullets...etc...You can never have TOO MANY manuals. Best of luck with it.....Shortmag

Chukar Hunter
03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Hornady has a one hour DVD that is invaluable as it walks you thru internal ballistics before going thru reloading.

In all my years of reloading, Nosler is by far the "least" conservative. The most conservative is probably Swift, followed by Sierra, Sppeer and Hornady.

I also like the load data from IMR/Hodgdon. In many cases, they are close or above Nosler recipes.

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH

32-40win
03-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Never enough books on guns & reloading available. Just allow youself one every other month and it will still take you a few years to amass enough of them. May as well get a yearly subscription to Handloader and Rifle mags also.
And then there will be a new powder or bullet that is only in the new book. Or a gun and cartridge that you have to find an obscure book to use with it.

jacobin
03-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Just a thanks to everyone that responded.

Looks like I need a new shelf at home to hold all my new reading material. :sHa_shakeshout:

My only other question would be, do prices of the manuals differ much between stores? i.e. Are the manuals cheaper on Amazon.com vs. buying from say Cabelas?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jacobin

greylynx
03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Anyone know who is selling Lyman Manuals in Edmonton.

I think I have to order one.

32-40win
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Cabelas can mail you one. WSS should have them up there, they have lots here.