PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger doubles

aulrich
03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Since I am getting a bird dog and since it is illegal or at least unethical to hunt over a bird dog with something other than a double (that is what I am telling my wife ) I was going to add a 20ga over under to the inventory.

The model I was specifically wanting was the switch barrel Stoeger. The middle son is showing some interest in hunting so it could be useful to have another 12 gauge for waterfowling, I realize this is an econo gun, and will have tade offs but there are two different kinds of econo-gun in my mind .

is it a

Rem 710 (mostly just crap)
or
Stevens 200 (nothing fancy but pefectly servicable)

I did look at the next brand up (name starts with Y) I can see where the extra 1000 or so dollars difference goes, it is a sweet gun but the budget will just not take it.

In my ham fists the stoeger 20 felt light and fast to point, and i doubt this gun will see more than 300 rounds a year, my 870 does most of the heavy lifting.

ShawnM
03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Assuming the part about hunting over a dog without a double being illegal was tongue in cheek:

I have a Stoger 12ga O/U (recently replaced by a Browning Citori Lightning) and I would have to say it is a perfectly serviceable shotgun for upland birding. I put at least 4,000 rounds through mine last year and it didn't fail me once. They are ugly, and I don't think they could make them more ugly if they tried. You'll immediately notice the quality difference between a Stoger and any $1500ish double gun.

Having said all that it would suit the needs you're describing very nicely.

aulrich
03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Assuming the part about hunting over a dog without a double being illegal was tongue in cheek:

Mostly :)

nof60
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Just a suggestion

if you can get your hands on a cz give it a look. A couple years ago I bought a CZ 12gu sxs and I am really super impressed by it and the price was not too bad. I know they make o/u as well but cannot speak to their quality but I really do think that the one I have is my fav shotgun (I have a few rems, a browning citori, and a stevens as well)

Worth giving them a look

ShawnM
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Just a suggestion

if you can get your hands on a cz give it a look. A couple years ago I bought a CZ 12gu sxs and I am really super impressed by it and the price was not too bad. I know they make o/u as well but cannot speak to their quality but I really do think that the one I have is my fav shotgun (I have a few rems, a browning citori, and a stevens as well)

Worth giving them a look

I checked out the CZs when I was looking at the Stogers and didn't get the impression they were made as well. They are certainly more attractive looking than the Stogers but I just couldn't get past the sense that it was poorly made. I'm speaking of the O/U and didn't get to see a SxS.

snowshoes
03-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I did look at the next brand up (name starts with Y) I can see where the extra 1000 or so dollars difference goes, it is a sweet gun but the budget will just not take it.

If the "Y" O/U is a YILDIZ, then Prophet River has the 20 gauge for 799.00

aulrich
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I think so and at that price it is worth the look. Giving up the switch barrel is something.

aulrich
03-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh darn, that is something to think about....

Cal
03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
I know a couple guys who have them and they work. The Yildiz and CZ are nicer and having used the old Savage/stevens doubles which can often be found for a song I would probably take one of them over the Stoeger for the price. Not super sure why changing barrels is a big thing, its not realy a feature that has ever swayed me one way over the other.

greylynx
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
All excellent posts. Cat must be out of town right now. He usually has his nose to the ground for good guns. I think CZ is a good choice.

Mind you, if you have three grand to drop, Beretta has a nice little Silver Hawk.

aulrich
03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Why hung up on the switch, 3 boys 2 have their own shotguns but the third is just dipping his toe into the hunting thing so it would be nice to have the flexibility. If he ends up wanting to come along I have something for him to use, if he likes it he can get his own, like his brothers.

If it was just me I would like a light fast handling upland gun, and that just screams 20, but for waterfowl a 12 is a better fit, I and too cheap to buy tungsten ammo.

catnthehat
03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
I've owned two Stoegers and a bunch of CZ's in different configurations, and in my opinion the CZ is a far better gun.
That being said, the Stoegar is a completely serviceable shotgun,. they just don't handle as well as the CZ's do.
As far as switch barrels go, get yourself a 16 or a 20 and don't look back at a 12!:)
if you can find a Yildiz or a CZ for $500 grab it!:sHa_shakeshout:

Cat

Duk Dog
03-27-2012, 08:10 PM
These are new but may also be worth checking out.

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-instinct-sl-shotgun/

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-instinct-l-shotgun/

rugatika
03-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Just to throw a curveball at ya. I was in Cabelas gun room yesterday and they had an old LC Smith 16g SxS (can't remember the grade) in the cabinet for $675 I think. Didn't handle it at all so I can't say what kind of shape the bores etc were in. The stock was a little rough, but providing the mechanicals are all good to go, it should be a good SXS for uplanding. Cat would know a lot more about the old LC's than I do, but from what I've read and talked to Dave Henry about them years ago, they make decent serviceable field guns.

I'm still kinda mulling it over myself. I have a 20g CZ ringneck that I really like too.

catnthehat
03-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Just to throw a curveball at ya. I was in Cabelas gun room yesterday and they had an old LC Smith 16g SxS (can't remember the grade) in the cabinet for $675 I think. Didn't handle it at all so I can't say what kind of shape the bores etc were in. The stock was a little rough, but providing the mechanicals are all good to go, it should be a good SXS for uplanding. Cat would know a lot more about the old LC's than I do, but from what I've read and talked to Dave Henry about them years ago, they make decent serviceable field guns.

I'm still kinda mulling it over myself. I have a 20g CZ ringneck that I really like too.

Ellsie's are very cool guns, and depending on the barrels that would be a good deal.

The barrel MAY be Damascus however, and that could cause some problems for some shooters, unless one wants to learn how to load BP brass cases - which is not at all as difficult:) as it seems!
Cat

rhuntley12
03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
If the "Y" O/U is a YILDIZ, then Prophet River has the 20 gauge for 799.00

this X10000. I got a 12 gauge from there and I am in love with the gun and couldn't be happier. I almost bought a couple different ones for around twice the price and glad I didn't.