PDA

View Full Version : Non-Resident as a guide

albertabiggame
03-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Can a non-res. of (USA) guide hunters if he is working for an outfitter in alberta????

Rust
03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
DELETED, B/C Looks like I posted some wrong info. SORRY Guys.

TheClash
03-11-2008, 11:09 PM
why would the outfitter hire him/her if they weren't legally able to guide?

gunslinger
03-12-2008, 06:35 AM
nope

Cowtown guy
03-12-2008, 07:37 AM
I know Americans can run their own show up here so why can't they hire a fellow American? :huh:

gunslinger
03-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I know Americans can run their own show up here so why can't they hire a fellow American? :huh:

hope you dont mean alberta

guidehunt
03-12-2008, 09:14 AM
they can own outfits up here but canot guide for them and also have to have res as outfitter.

Cowtown guy
03-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Maybe birds are different than Big-game? Sean Mann has been running his own deal by Vermillion for a good while.

broadfieldpoint
03-12-2008, 06:29 PM
I hope nobody from the states reads this:....I come up to your part of the world to get away from all the stuff down here! I say NO....let the Americans enjoy your province but not use it for gain...thats what has destroyed it down here (USA)!!!:wave:

albertabiggame
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
no, i mean why can't i, a us citizen ,come and be a guide in alberta. i have hunted there since 1998 in the same camp, same area, same outfitter..i have guided for several years in the usa (MT., WY. SD.)I just wish I could come to alberta and be a guide. i mean it is the most awesome place on earth.

ducky_hunter
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
US residents can run a and Guide a Game bird opperation you must own it to be able to guide. Sean mann hold a valid outffter and guide permit but is required to hire Canadain guides for the rest of his outfit

Rackmastr
03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
In order to guide anywhere in Canada as a non-resident, a work permit would be needed as well. This would require a labour market opinion, and HRDC confirmation, as well as a letter of offer for employment. Immigration would then need to make sure that all docs were in order so the non-resident could work...

Thats the FEDERAL side...provincial stuff in most provinces says that a non-resident alien cannot guide either....they can OWN companies but cannot do a lick of 'work' up there other than to manage the company....

Cowtown guy
03-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Thats the FEDERAL side...provincial stuff in most provinces says that a non-resident alien cannot guide either....they can OWN companies but cannot do a lick of 'work' up there other than to manage the company....

So the way I see this then they shouldn't be able to scout, sit in the blind, do the calling, set up the rig etc...
I can't see Sean not doing this. As a matter of fact I know first hand he doesn't.
Hmmmm:huh: . It doesn't really matter I guess but if there are rules in place I think they should be followed.

Rackmastr
03-12-2008, 11:09 PM
You have no idea whether Sean Mann has a work permit or not.....so its kinda blunt to assume that he doesnt.....

If he had a work permit from Immigration, he'd be following all the rules on the federal side of things....

I dont know the provincial side of things well enough to say whether or not a non-res can hold a bird outfitter/guide license....

LongDraw
03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
People work, own businesses in different countries. What is the big deal if it happens to be in the outfitting business? This is legal to do in Canada and vice versa, I am sure there are regulations that are industry specific however.

Rackmastr
03-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Longdraw,
Its legal...but I can guarantee you its not easy to do. From a labour market standpoint, a work permit isnt the easiest thing for certain jobs.....guiding is one of them. An outfitter would need to do his share of paperwork to have a guide come up from the US, and it simply doesnt happen as often as one would think. It is very rare, and the more common is Americans coming up to work without a permit, thereby working in Canada illegally.....

But ya...its like anything else....if you're coming to Canada or going to a different country to work, you need have your ducks in a row and Immigration needs to decide that you are eligible for a work permit....

LongDraw
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Longdraw,

But ya...its like anything else....if you're coming to Canada or going to a different country to work, you need have your ducks in a row and Immigration needs to decide that you are eligible for a work permit....

Thanks, that was the point I was trying to make. It is legal and people in all kinds of industries do it.

ducky_hunter
03-13-2008, 05:33 PM
he has a work permit he pays Canadain and pervincal bussiness taxes

Rackmastr
03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks, that was the point I was trying to make. It is legal and people in all kinds of industries do it.

Yep you bet man....lots of non-residents working on each side of the line...

Cowtown guy
03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
You have no idea whether Sean Mann has a work permit or not.....so its kinda blunt to assume that he doesnt.....

If he had a work permit from Immigration, he'd be following all the rules on the federal side of things....

I dont know the provincial side of things well enough to say whether or not a non-res can hold a bird outfitter/guide license....

I was responding to your previous post...

"Thats the FEDERAL side...provincial stuff in most provinces says that a non-resident alien cannot guide either....they can OWN companies but cannot do a lick of 'work' up there other than to manage the company...."

I took this as saying that from the provincial side of things he couldn't do the work. I thought that was what your post said. I will admit that I don't know what the law is.
Hey, if he is doing it legally then it is fine with me. I could care less. If however he is not supposed to be doing the work he shouldn't be doing it. End of debate.
I have met Sean a couple of times and he seems to be a decent guy. I have nothing against him. I have even learned quite a bit from watching his shoots from afar.