PDA

View Full Version : Son looking for job

BEL
03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
2 years ago my daughter was looking for a "long" summer job (co-op job) in the environmental field. With help from several on this board she got one in Calgary. Now my son is looking for a full time job preferably in the oil/gas sector. He is 20 and has been working in the concrete business for the last 2 years. Pouring garages, basements, etc. He is tired of being laid off in the winter so he is currently looking for something else. Construction is an option too. Anyone out there know of someone hiring general labourers or assistants in something or other? Maybe even concrete if it is year round. Your help would certainly be appreciated. At this point he is not interested in driving. BEL

BEL
03-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I guess I should have said Red Deer/Sylvan Lake area is preferred but he will look at all options. BEL

Rust
03-11-2008, 09:03 PM
check the classifieds in the Red Deer Advocate. Check both job and trades. There are quite a few in there. Seen today that some rigs were hiring floor hands. Worth a look anyways.

Poacher Boy
03-11-2008, 10:03 PM
deleted sorry bad location

BEL
03-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks Rust. He has been looking the last few days in the advocate. I saw an ad or two concerning floor hands. What is it and what do they do? BEL

Avidhunter
03-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Email me with your details and a resume

mcampling@xplornet.com

I may have a few possible options.

Avid

Justanotherbuck2
03-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Atco gas will be on their recruiting drive now, starting salary for labourers is over $19.00 per hour and they can't fill all the positions they need. Also Kevco contruction. (Pipeline installations in the city of Calgary) they will be hiring now too. But the chance of a good career oportunity is proberly the best at Atco.

huntinggr81
03-12-2008, 08:23 AM
This is about the worst time of year to be looking for a job in the oil/gas sector. Everything is starting to wind down for spring break up. However, it looks to be a steady summer for some companies. Have him try Greywolf Production Systems in Crossfield - (403)946-4445 & talk to Lance.

Shrubs
03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Floorhands usually means a roughneck on a rig.

Maybe tell your son to take a drive around the Falcon, Laebon subdivisions. Lots of guys usually hiring in all sorts of trades or he might be interested in working for the contractor itself. Just a thought

Rust
03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Sorry Bel, Yeah i believe shrubs said it right a roughneck, which is a starting position on a Rig.

leverman
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Call Clark Builders. Have new site in Red Deer. Always looking for good workers with conc. exp. .

BEL
03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, we knew this was going to be the slow time with spring break-up. We will carry on and try what we can. Thanks guys. He will be out tomorrow looking at a few of these options. BEL

ctd
03-12-2008, 05:00 PM
now is a good time to be looking for work. If you have a good work ethic and can make it through not knowing when your going to work and save your money when you do work, those companys generally look after you when it gets busy.

Tell your son good luck,

All the Drilling and Well Seevicing companys are looking for good workers.

mountainman elkohalic
03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Apply at x-treme energy services in innisfail there hiring or parker bits in red deer and division of x-treme

Phantom
03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
try applying at manpower, there trying to get me on as an apprentice in For Mac.

elkhunter1234
03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
CP Rail is always looking for young guy that can pass the drug test....

Cordur
03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Got lots of work coming up in Calgary as far as concrete work goes. We've kept the guys who do good clean work busy this winter. Probably a bit too far out of the way though.

If he doesn't mind driving get him his class 3 or even class 1. He'll never be short of work. We definitely can't seem to find a few good drivers, seems like a big shortage of them.