PDA

View Full Version : Project: Takedown Carbine from Encore Prohunter? Yup...

Stinky Coyote
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/824048/17448107/401852604.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/824048/17448107/401852606.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/824048/17448107/401852623.jpg

Needing a firearms project each winter along with various other projects, the 2012 winter i followed this direction in my head.

Goal, tool less takedown to stuff in pack and just to have a takedown rifle in the stable for something different, plus a short handy carbine was bonus. I also chose a cartridge that would make an easy on the shoulder for loaning/teaching etc.

Studied every platform i could think off with hope a guy may end up sub-moa for 5-600yrd performance. Ie; scope remaining intact with barrel...scout style not going to fit in with goals. And wanted higher quality base than a NEF. Turns out i picked a decent platform with the Thompson style.

Step 1 was to determine if using hinge pin with forend ear removal as the basis for takedown point via a custom easily removeable hinge pin of some creation, but after learning how the buttstock attaches it was a no-brainer to go here as then no need to mess with action break...ie; keep accuracy potential as high as possible.

Off to my machinest/gunsmith/metal magician Henry Rempel and a quick turnaround and my vision comes to life in form of a nice aluminum knurled knob that is at one with the buttstock, turn it on to tight and spin it off for quick takedown, too simple and easy. Knob stays installed on buttstock, all it can do is spin, can't fall out etc. So there is only two pieces when taken down. Oh, and can't forget the 8" of barrel i had removed at the same time, so its a 20" barrel in 7mm-08 cartridge.

The rest is just regular gun stuff, i'm extremely familiar with how to take the entire gun apart now as i've done the full bellm tune up kit etc. and have a 2.0 lb on the nose trigger, larger hinge pins, better headspacing and shooting around moa with factory federal 140bt's. Took a bit to get there though as it was doing 2-3 moa with most factory stuff. The headspace on this federal load is still high so i will have a hundredth or 7 thou taken off face of barrel so i can get total headspace down to the .001-.003 range and see if it tightens up groups a bit more and also need to pillar bed the forend to remove that possible variable, as it stands i can live with how it shoots now but just not totally done my tweaks yet as i'm so close to sub-moa performance, i expect to get there without reloading and without the need of a new barrel but i'm between projects or waiting for parts for others etc. so this write up will fill the need for now.

Gun was over 7lb stock, losing 8" of barrel lost 15 oz just like that. Did not like talley extended base for this scope, vx3 4.5-14x40 cds, scope had to be pushed forward to max. Gone to EGW rail with weaver lows for better ring spacing and getting the scope a bit further forward. This scope may not end up being final scope, a fixed 6-36 with target or cds knob may likely end up the final config? Gun pictured with shell holder, 9 rounds of ammo, sling, butler creek flips etc. is 7 lb 14 oz all in. A few ounce lighter than my sako a7 build. So its short and handy but has a solid feel.

I could see using this platform for more builds in future. Would be cool if you could get ultralight stock sets from the usual stock builders, with the takedown knob installed. Then a lightweight barrel contour and it wouldn't be hard to build some 20-22" barrel sheep rigs in the 6-7 lb range all up. I'm sure one could simply lose 1 lb on my rig by going to the 10 oz scope instead of 13 and lighter contour barrel....but things would get even sweeter if lighter stock sets could be found from mcmillan, wildcat etc. Thompson has the g2 platform for smaller cartridges that is already way lighter than the encore prohunter, could see builds a 1 lb less easy than what can be done with encores with that platform, just don't see many contenders this side of border. Yes you can build little bolt guns lighter but this is just a fun project idea i had to scratch the itch. So not the ideal lightweight project...it is a sweet little handy takedown carbine however.

SPECS:

Overall length is a little over 34" and taken down the longest piece is a little over 23". This is a 20" barrel 7mm-08 to confirm. Naked gun weighs 6 lb 1.5 oz. Naked butt stock is 1 lb 4 oz, forend is 6 oz, sling and 9 round shell holder are 3 oz, 9 rounds of ammo is 7.5 oz, barrel/action 4 lb 7.5 oz.

Future Plans, i can see going with a match grade machine barrel in same length, lightweight contour, same cartridge at some point for another winter project. Just to get it closer to 7 lbs all up. That with a lighter scope would be light enough for the cartridge recoil. The lighter the barrel gets the harder i think groups will be to shoot and hold steady with such a short length so i'm fairly satisfied with how it sits now, will have to get low on projects before i go for a barrel/scope swap to satisfy the minor itch that is left.

Hope you enjoyed the project.

AB2506
03-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Nice!

bchap22
03-30-2012, 12:09 AM
henry definitely does amazing work and at a very fair price!

JohnB
03-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Very cool, keep us posted.

Good luck.

Stinky Coyote
03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Will do, and Henry busy boy these days, i better quit tellin people about him or my wait times are going to get too high lol.

When i get it back i'll paper it at 100 quick after i headspace it and then i'll run the gongs out to get some drop data and i'll chrony then too, see what kind of speeds i get out of that 20" barrel? So i will revisit this post when its set up and ready to hit the hills.

Guy could have fun with little iron sighted carbine in 45-70 or something like that as an alternative to a ruger no1 etc. and get the ability for quick takedown too...just thinking outloud, i'm having fun with this one.

Rackmastr
03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Looks interesting. I'm surprised ya didnt cut the bbl down to 16 or 18". 20" isnt much less than a lot of factory chamberings really.

Handled a nice little 16" 7-08 the other day.....handy little rifle for sure! I like the looks of the 20" though.

double gun
03-30-2012, 06:25 PM
You could also go Choate's folding stock and not have to take anything apart.
http://secure.riflestock.com/images/products/3062-2_T.jpg

Traps
03-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Stinky, cool project. I've had a similar hankering to get a barrel down around 20" to make a short setup. I've tossed around doing this to a 308. Really like the knurled knob idea. Good job, looks professional too.

Rackmastr
03-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Yep I like that idea even more!!!

Stinky Coyote
03-31-2012, 08:05 AM
i looked at the folding stock options also but in my quest of weirdness here to end up with sub-moa performance or moa worse case, i was wondering what cheek weld would be like, comb height etc. of the folding stocks just didn't look like they would fit my needs/wants for this project, i still want to end up 5-600yrd capable...

as far as barrel goes, i believe i could legally go down to 18.5" no? i researched optimum barrel length for 7-08/308 class and 20-22" seemed to come up a repeating theme...so i just went short end of that knowing i'd be short enough and still have plenty velocity for my end goals

when i started searching for platform ideas etc. i was surprised i couldn't find any encore prohunters set up as takedown, several with shorter barrels of course, i think thompson could add something to the product line or as mentioned a custom stock maker or gunmaker building a three piece kit with ultralight stock set and lighter contour barrel...just the sheep hunter in me thinking outloud lol

Rackmastr
03-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Ya I hear what you're saying on both ends of the decision making process. I think you'll find that the 20" bbl and the standard stock should make a good shootin rig. Neat project either way!

Stinky Coyote
03-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Ya I hear what you're saying on both ends of the decision making process. I think you'll find that the 20" bbl and the standard stock should make a good shootin rig. Neat project either way!

Thanks, i thought so too, having fun with the little guffer and itchin to get it done and killing stuff!

And thanks Traps, 308 would be a great one in this too, regular hunting rifle set up, 3-9x type scope for typical hunting ranges etc....that would be ideal little carbine!

With my odd desire to try and squeeze more than normal out of the project i went with the 7 for the higher bc's and availability of 140gr ballistic tip ammos that will give me what i'm looking for at the 5-600yrd for impact velocities etc.....if i reloaded i may have gone with a 260? But looked real hard at all the short action cartridges and they are all great imo.

Stinky Coyote
03-31-2012, 02:20 PM
a point i could clarify, the initial 2-3 moa comments were from the very first rounds down tube during breakin process, now that 50 down the pipe it seems to be getting better and more consistant in the accuracy department, especially with the ones it likes best, but i shot groups with cheap ammos etc. just to get a feel for what it could do right off the hop with zero done to the gun in terms of bellm tune up kit, trigger job etc....bone stock except the barrel cut and takedown knob....the fusion and 140 federal bt's the most accurate of 6 i tried so far, but after tune-up kit, trigger, etc. and 50 rounds down tube its so close to where i want it to be that i'm confident it will meet my goals over the next phase and be ready for the hills in no time

and i forgot to mention another reason i didn't go shorter on the barrel than 20 for this cartridge was i just didn't want a bunch of excess muzzle blast either

its great to shoot, recoil is super tolerable, noise and blast are super tolerable, its just nice to shoot, nice weight, nice everything, so there are some of the intangables i maybe didn't mention

Running Bear
03-31-2012, 07:04 PM

Good idea, I have got to get one of those. I have two 20" barrels that are light contour for the pro hunters from the T/C custom shop. One in 25-06 and one in .270, they would work great with that stock. I also have a 18.5" heavy contour in .308. Here is the .308
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k640/lviravec/308.jpg

Stinky Coyote
04-01-2012, 07:45 AM
awesome, nice to see more projects on this platform, i can see why they designed the rear stock attachement the way they did...so they can make pistols off the same platform, must be a handful to shoot that way, what is the legality of using pistol grip here? all good?

any chance i could ask a favor? can you strip the stocks off the action and put one of the light contour barrels on the action and weigh just the metal for me?

Running Bear
04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
No problem. I will weigh it wednesday and get back to you.

Spokerider
05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
I like the take-down knob.
Have you thought about filing away some of the stock material where the knob face contacts it? This would allow for a flush mating surface between the knob and the stock. Is there enough stock material to do this?

Stinky Coyote
06-05-2012, 07:15 AM
UPDATE! Finally got this little muzzle jumper sorted, the longest wait was getting it back from Henry who is very busy, i got to work on it right away. After the face of barrel machined so i could shim the firing pin bushing to give total headspace in the .002's and a nifty little pillar bed on the forend i took it out to the range again.

2703 fps at 15 degrees C over 11 shot string, 51% humidity, 3850' elevation, 20" barrel, Federal 140 Ballistic Tips.

Optimum zero for 6" vertical is 230 yrds, will dial out on a speed dial turret to 650 yrds with that zero and still has 1675 fps at that range (recommended min impact velocity with bt's is 1600 fps :) )

Final config has it as 7 lb 7oz without ammo or sling, with 9 rounds ammo in butt stock shell holder, sling and scope coat its 8 lb 2oz.

Went to medium height leupold rings which are a bit heavier than the weaver lows i had before but needed to get the scope more forward as this short of gun has lots of muzzle jump, recoil no biggie but the gun will jump up and scope will kiss you while free recoiling...its not an easy gun to shoot accurately at distance as its really hard with it being so short to get it to settled down on the bags which are essentially right in front of you....anyhow, that said, finally figured out how to shoot it well enough although i'm sure it can do sub-moa i'm calling it a safe moa in my hands at 525 yrds.

Last night the wind died around 8pm, i took off with the gongs, zerod at 230 yrds then ran the gong out to 525 yrds, had time for two 3 shot groups before getting sprinkled on but the two groups told me everything i needed to know. 1st group was at 38 clicks come up from 230 yrd zero and the second was at 39 clicks come up. Have to drive to gong to see where impacts are as they splash at that distance, so i shoot three, drive to see and repaint at same time so i can find the next 3. Sure takes awhile for the sound of the smack to get back to me lol.

So goal achieved, a 'pretty much' factory moa capable takedown carbine on factory ammo. I'm happy now, just need to order up speed dial turret for the cds knob and tuck a laminated wind chart under the shell holder and its hunt ready. Fun project.

I would not want the gun any lighter without a brake or magnaporting to keep the muzzle down so my quest to see one of these 1 lb lighter with lighter barrel is over...don't want to have to wear hearing protection. Its great offhand and pretty good at sitting bench but prone over bags its a jumper.

So here are the two 525 yrd groups from last night as mentioned. 1st group at 38 clicks and i do remember holding just bottom of orange bull so i'm okay with a couple being lower and zero wind was nice! Then second group all three across the top of the bull. This is where you quit when your ahead ;) :).
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/824048/17448107/402902219.jpg

Group 2 at 39 clicks, i remembered being more consistant at hiding the bull under the crosshair for group 2, not hovering under it like group 1.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/824048/17448107/402902218.jpg

Thats a wrap, unsure on getting a more flush/level to pistol grip looking knob, i'm sure its very doable but have to put into context how much effort a guy wants to put into a project like this...i did file/sand down the extra beef sticking up above the tang for a nice flat feel around the hammer etc. but that was about as far as i was willing to go, this one isn't for aesthetics, its for hunting without thought about being easy on it...ugly works on this sort of project imo. :)

Stinky Coyote
06-05-2012, 03:32 PM
pulled gongs out of truck this morning and measured the 2nd group at 5 3/4" ctc, the other one basically same size so close enough to moa for me, i'm happy to run out with 1.5 hours of light left and set up for a quick zero like that, then two 3 shot groups at 525, 6 shots total at that range, all on gong in moa groups...i'm ok with that for this little gun in essentially as close to field conditions one could get, of course i like to get closer but i like things set up to their potential, just in case, you never know...i like being prepared, gives more options

buckbrushoutdoors
06-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Cool rig stinky, good cartridge choice.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
07-11-2012, 08:25 PM
as you ONLY remove the butt stock, are you not creating a potential problem with "Prohibited Weapon" status?

removing the butt, still allows you to fire it like a pistol grip, and as you say, longest piece is "a little over 23 inches"

I still have trouble with all the nuances of the firearms laws.

I found this post by hillbillyreefer
Definition of a Prohibited Firearm

The Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:
a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;

buckbrushoutdoors
07-12-2012, 08:45 AM
The way I understand it, if your rifle is not assembled it wouldn't matter. You can break the rifle down to keep it packs me but when assembeld it would have to be longer than the legal minimum.

Stinky Coyote
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
lol, you could still fire your bolt action if you take the stock off it too, neither would be fun to try

putting this one up for sale, so many projects to attack so little time, this one hasn't even gotten blood or hunted yet, just onto the next thing i guess, its a sweet little handler