PDA

View Full Version : Neck tension / bullet puller / accuracy??

sns2
03-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Was out at the range enjoying a beautiful afternoon doing some load development. Found two real winners:) In any event, I had loaded up five different seating depths for each load. My question is, if I give the leftovers a couple of whacks in the bullet puller, and then seat them to what I've found to be the optimal depth, will there be a change in neck tension, which will in turn affect accuracy?

catnthehat
03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
I often pull the bullets oar way then re-seat them, but with a collet puller and press, I don't use a kinetic puller.
Cat

elkhunter11
03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I often pull the bullets oar way then re-seat them, but with a collet puller and press, I don't use a kinetic puller.

X2

chain2
03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
I hate inertia pullers...A member on this forum [whos name escapes me.... apologies:)] suggested a pair of wire stripper/ crimper pliers.. works wonderful for me. here is how...Remove the die from your press. Run said bullet all the way up above your press turret or crown. clamp plier on bullet use press handle to pull down to extract the bullet...easy with lots of control hth chain

wrathchild
03-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I think what you had in mind would work fine

sns2
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Cat

So it should work fine with a kinetic puller also?

Jordan Smith
03-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes. Been there, done that. Works fine :)

catnthehat
03-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Yup, no reason for it not to work, it's just that I have never had good results with a kinetic puller - in fact the first time I ever tried one I broke the shaft!!:sign0068:

Cat

Dick284
03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
As long as the bullet weight is there kinetic pullers work ok for a few rounds. Stuff like 50's and 55's in 223's and 22-250's take a hell of a lot more smashing to pull than a 150 out of a 7mm something or other.

And if you've got more than a couple rounds to pull, get a collet style puller.

Bobby B.
03-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Was out at the range enjoying a beautiful afternoon doing some load development. Found two real winners:) In any event, I had loaded up five different seating depths for each load. My question is, if I give the leftovers a couple of whacks in the bullet puller, and then seat them to what I've found to be the optimal depth, will there be a change in neck tension, which will in turn affect accuracy?

Why not try it and see? Alot can be learned through experimentation. Firsthand knowledge trumps secondhand everytime.

Bobby B.

Lefty-Canuck
03-30-2012, 07:56 AM
As long as the bullet weight is there kinetic pullers work ok for a few rounds. Stuff like 50's and 55's in 223's and 22-250's take a hell of a lot more smashing to pull than a 150 out of a 7mm something or other.

And if you've got more than a couple rounds to pull, get a collet style puller.

Part of it also is the powder charge behind the bullet......the higher the mass of powder (in general) the easier to pull a bullet....

Try loading a dummy with no powder behind it and it takes way more effort to get it out of the case than if it was full of powder.

LC

Bobby B.
03-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Part of it also is the powder charge behind the bullet......the higher the mass of powder (in general) the easier to pull a bullet....

Try loading a dummy with no powder behind it and it takes way more effort to get it out of the case than if it was full of powder.

LC

You bet.

Bobby B.

Jordan Smith
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Yup, no reason for it not to work, it's just that I have never had good results with a kinetic puller - in fact the first time I ever tried one I broke the shaft!!:sign0068:

Cat

Yeah, it took me over a decade to get it through my thick skull that there had to be something better than the kinetic, RCBS hammer puller, so I finally made myself pony up for a collet-style puller. Life is good on this side of the fence, and I'll never go back! :)

32-40win
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Had a kinetic many years ago, busted it. The collet is definitely better.
I had to use sidecutter method not too long ago, as the collet hadn't arrived yet, it's a bit dicey with soft cast bullets that are crimped.