PDA

View Full Version : More Hunting Ground In Jeopardy

Trail Blazer
03-12-2008, 09:11 AM
To All Members and Friends:

Last Friday I had a phone call from retiring MLA Ivan Strang. He said he had received an email from TPRC stating they had interviewed most of the stakeholders in the area of Rock Lake Provincial Park‹regarding its expansion to ten times its previous size. TPRC¹s email advised Ivan Strang THAT NO ONE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS. Ivan stated, ³I was very disappointed if this were true, as I had worked very hard during my last months in office to get this decision reversed.²

After many phone calls, we have determined that TPRC appears NOT to have been truthful with Ivan Strang. To date we have not found ONE PERSON that TPRC has consulted with‹however there are several individuals who have indicated that TPRC want to meet with them on a one-to-one basis at some point in the future.

We strongly suggest that all of our members and friends email:

· Bill Werry, ADM of TPRC - bill.werry@gov.ab.ca

· C.C. * Robin Campbell MLA - alberta.csce@shaw.ca

· C.C. * Willmore Wilderness Foundation * info@willmorewilderness.com

· C.C. * Premier Stelmach * premier@gov.ab.ca

Ivan Strang felt it was imperative that interested people state their objections to the expansion of Rock Lake Provincial Park and demand that this area be returned to its original designation. Strang stated, ³I feel that this will be our last chance to get this situation rectified as it was done improperly.²

Rock Lake was one of many Provincial Parks created with the signing of several Orders in Council during the 2006 Premier Leadership Race, which was done with NO public consultation. The historical Rock Lake hunting area was eliminated with a stroke of the pen.

Sincerely,
Bazil Leonard, President
Willmore Wilderness Foundation

Frans
03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Here's the reply I received from Bill Werry:

Thanks for your email and the concerns expressed. Fay Orr Deputy Minister for Tourism Parks Recreation and Culture has responded to the Willmore Wilderness Foundation on this issue and her response follows:

[...]

Earlier today I received your email regarding Rock Lake Provincial Park . After reviewing the situation with my Assistant Deputy Minister, Bill Werry , I would like to clarify the situation.

First, my apologies for any misunderstandings. It wasn’t our Ministry’s intent to suggest that no one had concerns with the Rock Lake expansion. The intent of the March 3, 2008 email update to Ivan Strang was to advise him that only some of the stakeholders contacted by TPRC staff said they had no concerns. The rest of the stakeholders contacted either provided their concerns over the phone or agreed to a meeting, which is being arranged for mid-April. Our staff have attempted to contact everyone on the list provided by Mr. Strang. If you know of any individuals or organizations who would like to be consulted but have not been contacted, please ask them to give me a call or email me so that I can have staff include them in our consultation.

Please be assured that I have directed staff to consult with stakeholders; to identify the specific land use concerns with the Rock Lake expansion; and, finally to report back with recommended changes to address those concerns. I have asked staff to provide timely updates on this process. If you hear of other actions or information that cause you concern with this or any other parks issue, please feel free to contact me or my Assistant Deputy Minister, Bill Werry . We will be happy to discuss it with you.

I can be reached at 780 427-2921 or fay.orr@gov.ab.ca

Bill Werry can be reached at 780 427-7896 or bill.werry@gov.ab.ca

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me.

Fay Orr

Deputy Minister

Tourism, Parks, Recreation and Culture

If you require any further information please contact me.

Bill Werry

Assistant Deputy Minister

Parks, Conservation, Recreation and Sport Division

Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation and Culture

(780) 427-7896