PDA

View Full Version : Brass inspection help

Cowtown guy
03-31-2012, 04:30 PM
I was at the range the other day and noticed this on my brass.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Cowtownguy/DSCN0238.jpg
The load is 58 grains of 7828 in front of a GM210M primer in .264 WM. The load was chronied at 3020 fps average with a reasonable extreme spread of about 45 to 50 fps. The soot tells me that it needs a little more uumpff. I know the load isn't hot. It is a mid range load at best and the load in the Nosler manual can get up to 3150ish.

The issue I have is that it shoots like this...
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Cowtownguy/DSCN0243.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Cowtownguy/DSCN0247.jpg
#3 was a called flinch.

Is this soot a big concern? Will it be detrimental in the long run or not? It just seems a little heavy to me.

Thanks folks.

Jerry D
03-31-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't think its a problem. I once had a powder... re 22 in my 6.5x55 that the entire brass came out sooty and black. I switched powders and there is no soot.

wwbirds
03-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Darryll if CCB stands for clean cold barrel judging by target one you should leave it dirty.
I use IMR 7828 for my 243 and get amazing groups but I think someone told me it is a very slow burn and used in mags a lot so pressures build.
Have you tried fast burn powders as the soot could be unburnt powder fowling.
Switch to a mag primer for better more complete ignition?
Rob

catnthehat
03-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Darryll if CCB stands for clean cold barrel judging by target one you should leave it dirty.
I use IMR 7828 for my 243 and get amazing groups but I think someone told me it is a very slow burn and used in mags a lot so pressures build.
Rob
The 243 is a high pressure cartridge anyway and thrives o0on powders like IMMR7828, 4831, H1000, etc.!
What happens downrange is tops as long as the primers are staying where they are supposed to and the bolt doesn't stick on the way up!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cat

Cowtown guy
03-31-2012, 11:34 PM

It does stand for clean cold bore. It was the first time out after hunting season which is why it was clean. I knew it would be a while before I shot so I cleaned it up. I always leave it dirty and clean when the groups open up

Rob

I thought about trying the mag primer as well. I have tried RE 22 and didn't have the soot. The accuracy was just MOA so I didn't play with that load anymore. Velocity was also higher. 3100ish I think.

Cowtown guy
03-31-2012, 11:37 PM
The 243 is a high pressure cartridge anyway and thrives o0on powders like IMMR7828, 4831, H1000, etc.!
What happens downrange is tops as long as the primers are staying where they are supposed to and the bolt doesn't stick on the way up!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cat

So don't worry about it then? This is a .264 WM and there are no pressure signs st this velocity. I just haven't had soot like this before. Especially with such a distinct ring that stands out at the neck.

I can get substantially more velocity but the groups open up.

catnthehat
04-01-2012, 08:08 AM
So don't worry about it then? This is a .264 WM and there are no pressure signs st this velocity. I just haven't had soot like this before. Especially with such a distinct ring that stands out at the neck.

I can get substantially more velocity but the groups open up.

is the soot actually from the powder or a throat that had a bit of oil in it?
I wouldn't really worry about it myself, except maybe to try a magnum primer.
if it's grouping well that is the main thing as long as it will reach to where you want to go with it.

cat

Cowtown guy
04-01-2012, 07:33 PM
is the soot actually from the powder or a throat that had a bit of oil in it?
I wouldn't really worry about it myself, except maybe to try a magnum primer.
if it's grouping well that is the main thing as long as it will reach to where you want to go with it.

cat

All of them were like that. Mag primers then I guess.

Hope the groups stay tight.