PDA

View Full Version : New meat grinder any suggestions

madatter
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm lookin at putting in an order from Cabela's soon and keep thinking it would be nice to get a new grinder.
I don't need too big.....we tend to make 50 pound or smaller batches all the time.
Right now I can get a 3/4hp grinder(#12) neck for $329....a bit bigger than we currently use!
1Hp (#22) neck abot $400....but may be more than we need....

Anybody know any good places in Calgary to buy grinders and stuff???
Peavy Mart has a grinder now that I asked over the phone about...$500 1HP motor but did not know the throat size.....all he could say was that it was pretty heavy duty!:rolleyes:
I'm really thinking the 1HP is too big for my needs:confused: :confused:

Donkey Slayer
03-13-2008, 10:42 AM
We have thought of getting a grinder but concluded it would cost over $500 to get one worthy of processing a moose.

Instead, we just take the meat to a local meat deli in St. Albert and have them grind it up in front of us (get our own meat back). For a small moose, it cost around $50 then we wrap it ourselves.

For us the return of investment would be over 10 years.

Their grinder runs on 220 volts. Lots of power and quick.

madatter
03-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I had done that for years as well as the sausage making but last several years have not.
With the cost of getting sausage made these days it really does not take long to pay for a grinder.
I've done moose thru the old one and it will do everything I ask of it just not fast(about 5lbs/min).
It's only a 1/2hp motor,#8 with a pretty small neck opening so the pieces have to be very small cut and then you still have to force them down......that's probably my main issue with the machine.

unclebuck
03-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Go with the #22 from Cabela's. If you have the desire to make your own sausage, the grinder comes with the stuffer tubes. You can always add the mixer, patty maker, & jerky slicer, if you really get into your own processing. I have found that over the years the savings by doing my own grinding, making my own sausage and jerky, that the equipment has paid for itself. Besides, making all these things is a fascinating hobby.

elnino54
03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I picked up the one with the #22 neck through SIR Mailorder....its actually the Cabelas grinder and the total cost was about $425 with shipping. This this is AMAZING, it was very difficult to keep up with it. We did over 125 lbs in about 35 min...would have been quicker if we'd been prepared..... I would highly recommend this grinder. Its much bigger in real life than the catalogue would have you think. The neck is big enough to fit a large orange in.......lol

Andrzej
03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I have Cabela's # 32 and two of my friends got # 22 1 HP motor. It takes longer to clean my grinder than to grind...I use my for stuffing as well. Stronger motor is better if u use mixer.
This fall I will do my grinding before putting in the freezer. Should be able to grind moose in less than hour.

Andrew

BEL
03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I and another fella have a 3/4 hp and it is more than enough. You will not do better price wise than Cabelas or Bass Pro. We paid over $600 at Halford and Hide in Calgary. I bought a meat mixer from Bass Pro and the comparable one in Calgary (slightly smaller) was about $200 more. I am looking at a better sausage stuffer. I was in Atlanta Bass Pro a month ago trying to pick up their sale stuffer. Again significantly cheaper. They didn't have any in stock. BEL

madatter
03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I was going to order the grinder directly from Cabela's till I noticed the "some restrictions apply"......has to be shipped by international air freight which brings the price up alot!!
The very nice lady @ Cabela's also suggested trying SIR.
I'm still thinking the 3/4HP will be plenty big enough for what I need and make,heck I really don't have any big issues with what I have now and the 3/4 will be a pretty good upgrade!
Keep ya posted.

madatter
03-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Can't get a 3/4hp thru SIR,only 1/2 and 1hp......
I'm still thinkin the 1hp is too big for what I need...:confused:
24x17x15.......that thing is huge!!

Kanonfodder
03-13-2008, 03:57 PM
FYI for you guys I just got a flyer at werk from a Liquidation place that has a meat band saw with a grinder attachment on sale ( its an upright ) $299.99 also camp cots for 40 bucks in Edmonton...16137 132 ave Liquidation Station

madatter
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm in the spending mood so it's ordered from SIR!
Besides I'm just about out of sausage!!!
I'll try to not stick my hand in this monster!!:lol:

Piker
03-13-2008, 04:34 PM
there are a whole lot of grinders out there from hand ones from $40.00 to large electric worth thousands. I brought a .75 hp grinder, a 5lb sausage stuffer, a 17 lb. meat meat mixer all for less than $90.00 eachfrom Northern Industrial Tool and I make anywhere from 50 to 150 lbs of sausage each year. The equipment is small but works really well. The bigger you go the less work you have to do but to me it is a hobby and i experiment with spices blends and whatever it takes to make a good sausage. Compared to what meat shops charge and the wait time and having to eat what they are giving you there is no comparison to doing it yourself./

elnino54
03-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Madatter........you'll be more than happy with the one you ordered from SIR....I certainly was.

Stinky Coyote
03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
i have the 1 hp from cabelas, its awesome, lots of deer through it already but got an elk and a moose through it now....couldn't be happier, its a whole lotta meat grinder and i'm pretty sure i haven't even got it to break a sweat yet

Brady
03-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey Stinky, will their 44 pound meat mixer hook onto that 1 horse? I was thinkin 1 1/2, because I will be getting the mixer as well, but if you think the 1 horse would do it, I may change my thinkin.

TreeGuy
03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Stinky, your machine sounds like an animal! Just be careful cutting chunks up to put through. The machine works so fast that you'll have to rush with the knife and deep (and embarassing) finger cuts may occur!:lol:

Tree

PS Thanks again!:wave:

Tuc
03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE]
Peavy Mart has a grinder now that I asked over the phone about
[/QUOTE
Is there a Peavey Mart in Calgary?

I have a 3/4HP (#22) I bought at Halfords. I haven't used it yet and doubt if I will until next fall. Now I'm thinking I should have waited for Bass Pro in Balzac, suppose to be open by fall.
I'm sure a feller will get a bigger bang for their buck at BP. Maybe something to consider if your in the market for some new sausage making gear.
It won't be long now....

Andrzej
03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey Stinky, will their 44 pound meat mixer hook onto that 1 horse? I was thinkin 1 1/2, because I will be getting the mixer as well, but if you think the 1 horse would do it, I may change my thinkin.
Brady
I have 44pound mixer and 1.5 HP #32 set from Cabela's and my friend has 1HP and same mixer and I think that my set can work with less effort and bigger load in the mixer.
Check prices from Cabela's as it seems that SIR increased prices on both grinders...I would get total prices with shipping charges.

Andrew

Brady
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Brady
I have 44pound mixer and 1.5 HP #32 set from Cabela's and my friend has 1HP and same mixer and I think that my set can work with less effort and bigger load in the mixer.
Check prices from Cabela's as it seems that SIR increased prices on both grinders...I would get total prices with shipping charges.

Andrew

That's kinda what I was thinking, initially. I know how tough it is to turn 20 pounds in my hand crank tub, let alone 44 pounds. Thanx, Andrzej.

BAR Z6 RANCH
11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Brady

Andrew

I too was thinking of getting a 11/2 grinder as i already have the 44lb mixer and was nervous that a 1hp would not run the mixer very well.Are you saying that your friends 1hp worked o.k.? Because if it does then I may lean towards getting one from SIR. Our exchange isn't so great these days

Andrzej
11-03-2008, 10:58 PM
BAR

Friend used 1 HP with 44 lb mixer and still uses it but not with full load.
He had to modify (welded) engaging part of the mixing blade as original one was not strong enough. I did not have this problem with mine.

Make sure that yours mixer is compatible with electric grinder as I think that hand ones have different gear box...

1 1/2 has bigger neck so you can put bigger pieces for grinding ,and is very fast, also it works well as stuffer...except that I've got SS stuffing tubes as original 2 piece plastic tubes are difficult to work with as they fall apart under pressure.

Is 1 Hp enough? I think so ...but I like mine better

Andrew

300WSM
11-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Brady: the 1 hp works fine with the 44pd mixer and has show no ill effect and I have mixed batches that overflowed (more than 44lbs) with no problem.

I price shopped everywhere in Canada and ended up buying through Cabellas USA even with shipping it was substantially cheaper than local.

1hp grinder is all you need I have yet to stall it out, this year I did 200 pds in a little over an hour of moose, about 150 pds of elk in an hour and a muley well lets say it took longer to set up the grinder. Don't forget Cabellas warranty is second to none.

Go bigger now on the grinder as you can buy other attachments later. Some of the attachments (mixer) will strain a smaller (under 1 hp) machine not wrecking the grinder part but probably burning up electrical components.

My 2 bits

mooseburger
11-04-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm lookin at putting in an order from Cabela's soon and keep thinking it would be nice to get a new grinder.
I don't need too big.....we tend to make 50 pound or smaller batches all the time.
Right now I can get a 3/4hp grinder(#12) neck for $329....a bit bigger than we currently use!
1Hp (#22) neck abot $400....but may be more than we need....

Anybody know any good places in Calgary to buy grinders and stuff???
Peavy Mart has a grinder now that I asked over the phone about...$500 1HP motor but did not know the throat size.....all he could say was that it was pretty heavy duty!:rolleyes:
I'm really thinking the 1HP is too big for my needs:confused: :confused:

Canadian Tire in spruce grove had a 1/2 horse i believe, for $99.00 a while back ( month or two maybe) pretty compact looking unit......... MB

ROBO
11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
A couple of things to check on your new grinder. Lap the discs and cutter on a lapping plate to ensure that they are perfectly flat (this makes the grinds a lot better with less work). Also if you can put a tub with a hole in it above the throat of the grinder then use a "pushing" type plunger it is a lot safer than hand feeding the grinder. Just some thoughts I hope will help.

Unregistered user
11-08-2008, 07:30 AM
I've been looking at those Cabelas grinders, does any-one know who makes them and in which country?