PDA

View Full Version : Light weight kids .22 ???

BIG JIMMY
04-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Hello, I took my boy out for his first shoot last weekend.
He is 4 yrs old, turning 5 this summer. I let him shoot my Remington 597. I held onto the gun to take most of the weight for him, and he looked through the scope and pulled the trigger when he saw the ketchup can in the scope.
He hit the can 2 times out of about 6 shots. He was very proud and
couldn't wait to get home to tell his mom and sister about his shooting.
However, this gun i just way too big and heavy for him. I'm lookin for anyones opinion on the smallest, kid sized .22 available. I saw the Thompson Hot Shot on the web, but have not held one yet.
Any input would be great.

Thanks.
BIG JIMMY. (aka. Proud Dad)

Rod1960
04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I was in a similar situation myself with my daughter, she's 10. I went with the Savage Cub. It was a toss up between that a Crickett but went with the Cub because of availability.

SkytopBrewster
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Got my first son a crickett, great little single shot 22, has a push button lockout on it, need a key to unlock, nice little safety feature. That has been passed on to his little brother and he has moved up to a Henry lever action 22.Bought the Crickett at UFA a few years back when they started selling guns.

Alberta Bigbore
04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
try a Savage Cub ! accutrigger, few stock options, great set of adjustable peep sights.....and when the kid is ready for a scope or red dot, the receiver is grooved for dovetail mounts.

That being said.... We just bought one for the girlfriends 5 year old sons birthday.