PDA

View Full Version : Ram River

kissarmygeneral
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm looking to finally head up to the ram river this year to catch some of the cutthroats iv been hearing so much about. I'v heard the best time to go is shortly after the ice is completely off. Any recommendations?

BGSH
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm looking to finally head up to the ram river this year to catch some of the cutthroats iv been hearing so much about. I'v heard the best time to go is shortly after the ice is completely off. Any recommendations?

That is interesting because the Ram river does not open up until June 16th

FishingFrenzy
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
That is interesting because the Ram river does not open up until June 16th

Hahahaha thats a great point. hmmm I wonder who's been having such good luck right after ice off...

Where does a guy even access the ram river? I google'd it and couldn't find any info???

CamoDerrick
04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Maybe ice comes off June 15?

BGSH
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Hahahaha thats a great point. hmmm I wonder who's been having such good luck right after ice off...

Where does a guy even access the ram river? I google'd it and couldn't find any info???

Many small back roads will get you there with a 4x4 if its muddy and raining and like our friend said as soon as ice off is the best time so he will probably get stuck and slapped with a nice fine if fishing before June 16th

mikeym
04-03-2012, 04:21 PM
which one, North or South Ram?

North Ram is pretty easy to access as the North Fork road parallels the river for about 10 - 15 k east of the FTR. lots of nice water in this section. from where the road turns away from the river downstream to the confluence, there is a trail that runs along the river that you can walk or quad to access this stretch.

the South Ram is a different story. only good road access is at the falls and about 5k upstream along the road that heads to Humingbird falls. the best section of the south ram is the section downstream of the falls but it is mostly canyons and little to no roads access in this section. quads yes, vehicles no.
both these rivers flood very easily and quickly with many of the storms that pass thru the region. can comeplety wipe out the river for days on end and completly change the river bed from one side of the valley to the other side. that is why usually later in the fall is the better time to go.
and remember strictly C&R on both these rivers and not open till June 16th.

rgds
Mike

kissarmygeneral
04-03-2012, 04:56 PM
hahahha ok good to know, was talking to a couple guys at school yesterday who went on and on about it. I suppose that's what the regs are for. Thanks for the heads up :sign0161:

keeks
04-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Just because we want to keep the info legit, there are sections of the Ram, and some of it's tributaries, during certain times of the year, where you can keep fish. I'm not advocating it, but, just sayin'.

k

FishingFrenzy
04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the access info guys, much appreciated!

Xiph0id
04-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm going to visit the ram river this weekend.
I'll let you guys know how it is.

bobcatguy
04-04-2012, 12:16 AM
I think it'l still be ice this weekend where do the fish stay?

ALBTUFF
04-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Heres a pic of the South Ram. Going there for nine days this year!

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/albpointer/tuffstate018.jpg

Sloughsharkjigger
04-04-2012, 08:02 AM
If you have some extra money laying around... Heli into the south Ram, the best way to get to places few have being. A few local companies offer this service. Get dropped off at one spot and picked up at another.... take a 2 day walk.... beautiful. Early Aug is the time... less chance of high water events.

Good luck!

kissarmygeneral
04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Heli fishing would be the way to go, thanks for the info.

keeks
04-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Does Russian Fisk Killer chime in here? Maybe he will offer you a free trip in on the Ram. All you have to do is bring the incense, vodka and lube. :love0025:

k

ryanheartssteelhead
04-04-2012, 11:45 AM
If you have some extra money laying around... Heli into the south Ram, the best way to get to places few have being. A few local companies offer this service. Get dropped off at one spot and picked up at another.... take a 2 day walk.... beautiful. Early Aug is the time... less chance of high water events.

Good luck!

Did this exact trip last year. Well worth it. Got dropped off, stayed 2 nights and picked up in the same spot. If you can arrange 4-5 people, it's affordable. I think it ran 200-250 per.

Xiph0id
04-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Just got back from my trip.
The north ram is pretty much ice free now.
The south ram and ram falls is all iced over.
Looks way different than in summer.
The roads were not too bad about 9" of fresh snow.

pope
04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Is there an easier way down from the falls lookout, or do people have to scramble down that scree slope?

Xiph0id
04-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Down the slope.
Its not that bad.

fish gunner
04-07-2012, 10:57 AM
find all the map resources you can there are easier ways to get to the lower ram. for those willing to do the work required.

kissarmygeneral
04-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the update.

Xiph0id
04-07-2012, 05:47 PM
find all the map resources you can there are easier ways to get to the lower ram. for those willing to do the work required.

I have and there are.
I have lots of maps and have explored lots.
Forums don't have all the info.