PDA

View Full Version : Range finder for 3D....

nekred
03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
What do you think? should rangefinders be allowed at a shoot for recreational shooters (as opposed to competitive shooters)

Copidosoma
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
no personal experience with 3d shoots bit I always though that ranging was half the challenge.

I'm a bit surprised that they would be allowed.

stand junkie
03-13-2008, 03:31 PM
banned what is the challenge if you know how far the animal is

mud slug
03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
out at pipestones 3D range half the fun is judgeing the distance from 8-50 yards

Rackmastr
03-13-2008, 07:51 PM
banned what is the challenge if you know how far the animal is

Some people arent using 3d's as an opportunity to estimate range...they are using it as practice to shoot at animals...

Lots of people out there dont like shooting animals without knowing the range...knowing the range at a 3D is about the same...good practice all around if the person isnt competing....

For competition purposes of course I dont think they should be there...

frenchwhitey
03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Some people arent using 3d's as an opportunity to estimate range...they are using it as practice to shoot at animals...

Lots of people out there dont like shooting animals without knowing the range...knowing the range at a 3D is about the same...good practice all around if the person isnt competing....

For competition purposes of course I dont think they should be there...

X2

JohnB
03-14-2008, 08:43 PM
We have a hunter shoot in Aug. in Grande Prairie that we are allowed to use the range finder. Shots are harder and everyone has a good time.

Coldhill
03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
There Is A Way To Range With Your Site. Just Aslong As You Know How Far A Deer Has To Be To Put The Top Pin At The Back And The Bottem At The Belly. And Go From There.

Trav
03-29-2008, 01:27 AM
There Is A Way To Range With Your Site. Just Aslong As You Know How Far A Deer Has To Be To Put The Top Pin At The Back And The Bottem At The Belly. And Go From There.

If you get caught or are suspected of doing this with your fixed pin sight you will be asked to leave and no refund of money, This is considered cheating by everyone. not saying it cannot be done but would not want to get caught trying it around the shoots I am at. Not worth the risk of getting caught and then have your name tarnished for life.

russ
03-29-2008, 07:19 AM
2 points Travis...

It's impossible to police, how can you tell a fixed pin shooter is trying to range?

You have to shoot so much that you'd know what each target looks like at a set of ranges.

catnthehat
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Same as golf.
I can't see a problem if a person is not in a tournament, but they should not be allowed in match conditions.
The only glitch here is if archers use the range before a match and the targets are not moved,

This is an hounor issue as well, if they are not allowed, why would someone who is honest cheat?
because they aren't honest enough is all.
Not the place for a person to be practicing bowhunting anyway, it is contest, it has nothing to do with hunting except for the fact thst you are shooting a bow.
Cat

Trav
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
2 points Travis...

It's impossible to police, how can you tell a fixed pin shooter is trying to range?

You have to shoot so much that you'd know what each target looks like at a set of ranges.

it can be caught russ, i have caught a couple people doing it, when they come to full draw and they take forever and then let down and do it mulitple times, and they are standing there looking trying to figure out things you can almost bet that they are trying to use it as a range finder. the two people i caught i mentioned how hard it was to use pins for ranging they both said yes we cannot figure out the range on the target. but i agree it is almost next to impossible to catch them.

To totally honest if someone wants to cheat then by all means cheat, You eventually get what is coming to you in the end. I seen one person this year win a tourney as he was keeping score by himself and won the tourney, when he was put together with someone else his scores dropped 40 points from what he shot at the previous. He is braggin about winning when he cheated, not my cup of tea. If you cannot win by shooting and being honest stay home is my opinion, you ruin it for everyone who is there to have fun and who is honest.
you should be using the built in rangefinder in your head. Practice, Practice until it becomes second nature to you

Coldhill
03-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know how you could call someone a cheater for drawing a bow and then letting down. Maybe just maybe they wern't set right, or they just couldn't settle down the pins. Besides when I shoot, 3d or hunting, giving aquick look to see were the animal and/or target is. If all of my pins are on the animal I know with my set up it is within 30-35m and if two are gone well I know it is farther than 45m.
If using the pins as a referance is called cheating, well then, I say you are a cheater aswell. I am sure you use your pins to shoot. and If you are a scope shooter as I have been sometimes, You can't tell me you arn't looking for that tree or shrubb that is 20m and then going from there.

If you are really concerned that people are cheating when thay are shooting, maybe you should host a shoot in an open field or in a bare gymnasium.

In my experiances, even when a person knows the exact distance, most people don't have the michanics to hit the 10x every single time, let alone do so enough times to win a shoot.

I must say, people like you are the reason I stoped competing in 3d shoots. It is for the love of the sport. There isn't enough money in it to cheat for any monitary gain. And as far as my name, I am sure I can live with the people in your circle not liking me.

Ch:huh:

Trav
03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't know how you could call someone a cheater for drawing a bow and then letting down. Maybe just maybe they wern't set right, or they just couldn't settle down the pins. Besides when I shoot, 3d or hunting, giving aquick look to see were the animal and/or target is. If all of my pins are on the animal I know with my set up it is within 30-35m and if two are gone well I know it is farther than 45m.
If using the pins as a referance is called cheating, well then, I say you are a cheater aswell. I am sure you use your pins to shoot. and If you are a scope shooter as I have been sometimes, You can't tell me you arn't looking for that tree or shrubb that is 20m and then going from there.

If you are really concerned that people are cheating when thay are shooting, maybe you should host a shoot in an open field or in a bare gymnasium.

In my experiances, even when a person knows the exact distance, most people don't have the michanics to hit the 10x every single time, let alone do so enough times to win a shoot.

I must say, people like you are the reason I stoped competing in 3d shoots. It is for the love of the sport. There isn't enough money in it to cheat for any monitary gain. And as far as my name, I am sure I can live with the people in your circle not liking me.

Ch:huh:

never said you were cheating in the rules for 3D it states that is is cheating. I personally could care less if you do it I am not worried about you or anyone else for that matter, I shoot against myself and that is it, try to beat my last goals.

The rules dont state anywhere about useing any object that is not on your bow for reference, like trees.

And how do you know who i am or what i represent, I shoot at almost everyshoot I can make it to I am gone almost every weekend shooting. So dont tell me that it was people like me that made you quit shooting 3D. most times people like you cannot handle the pressure of shooting competition and bail out of it. they find excuses one after another not to show up. If you knew who I am you would know diff. How many major shoots can you go to and have prob close to 150+ people there know you and like you and ask advice on the shoots. I bet none for you I bet i am know almost at everyshoot I go to. you dont get to be fully sponsored by being an idiot, the main thing the sponsors look for are people who can promote the products, and to be able to do that people need to like you and respect you, not some idiot that spouts off his mouth like you seem to do

all i said was that it is considered cheating, never called you a cheater , the guys i talked to never called them cheaters either, just questioned their methods and they admitted to doing it on their own. Did i say anything to them, just cautioned them on it so they would not get in trouble. I am here to have fun at every shoot i go to, whether i win or lose.

Coldhill
03-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Like I said, people like you are the reason I quit attending shoots.
The self richious ones who spend more time trying to "catch them" than doing your own shooting. The ones who are more interested in being made into some messia or self apointed popular guy. The simple fact of the matter is that I am sure you think there are some many people who like you, I just can't see how. Nobody likes the guy running around telling on everyone, I can see how you became sponsered...It would be easy to pick you out of a croud...with that brown nose of yours.

And as far as quiting because of the pressure...Give me a break. 3d archery shoots are things I used to do to releve the stress of everyday life. I have prevailed in a sport for many years where the pressures of success, media and fans far out weighs the "pressure" of putting a pin on a spot and squeesing a release.

I'll try to remember not to "cheat" at the shoots you are at, I wouldn't want to get a bad name. from a guy like you.

CH:wave:

Trav
03-30-2008, 10:54 PM

Coldhill
03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
LOL oh my god, my gutt hurts!!! Do you really think I am scared?
You don't know me, but yet there you are flappin away...
Whos the "idiot spoutin his mouth off now?"
The last thing I am is scared of a sell out logo wearing brown noser. Thank god for shoe laces, otherwise nobody would know where you are.

Ch

Coldhill
03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
OH OH,
Someone got cold feet!
Don't like the fact that you might not be as good as you think, well, at least 150+ people know who you are.:wave:

Trav
03-30-2008, 11:44 PM
OH OH,
Someone got cold feet!
Don't like the fact that you might not be as good as you think, well, at least 150+ people know who you are.:wave:

buddy you want to put money where your mouth is I am highly ranked in the archery and I dont lose very often

I never get cold feet i just know when to leave an idiot spout off but if you think you are good bring it on. since you cannot compete from the pressure bring it on

if you dont beleive me ask a couple of the guys on here they know how i shoot and know what i am about so bring it on if you think you can play with the pros

Coldhill
03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
must have put your slippers on, or did you get a pep talk from one of your many...friends?
You are right, you will beat me, I would be in too much awe of the ol mighty...You did it, mark me up as 151 there ace!

:love:

Copidosoma
03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Like I said, people like you are the reason I quit attending shoots.
The self richious ones who spend more time trying to "catch them" than doing your own shooting. The ones who are more interested in being made into some messia or self apointed popular guy. The simple fact of the matter is that I am sure you think there are some many people who like you, I just can't see how. Nobody likes the guy running around telling on everyone, I can see how you became sponsered...It would be easy to pick you out of a croud...with that brown nose of yours.

And as far as quiting because of the pressure...Give me a break. 3d archery shoots are things I used to do to releve the stress of everyday life. I have prevailed in a sport for many years where the pressures of success, media and fans far out weighs the "pressure" of putting a pin on a spot and squeesing a release.

I'll try to remember not to "cheat" at the shoots you are at, I wouldn't want to get a bad name. from a guy like you.

CH:wave:

Sheesh man, grow up already.

russ
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Boy some people sure get twisted up about stupid unenforceable rules :confused:

An open shooter is just as capable of this technique (ranging) as a fixed pin shooter. So the argument is moot.

I guess the next time someone decides to let down after an over hold we'll declare it cheating and toss 'em.

I'm beginning to remember that it wasn't just my dad being sick that made me quit going to shoots for 5 years...

nekred
03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
easy Guys!....

That method of "cheating" has been around or years. in fact in some archery books it is mentioned as a valid way to calculate distance.

many things that used to be cheating in the old days are tacitly tolerated now....

look at indoor 3D... how many people look at next target they are going to shoot up close and personal to see where kill is.... How many people go to the next target then walk back to line using a step counter!....Yes it happens!....

but in the end those people don't do well outdoors!... some dont even shoot outdoors....

Cheating is a shortcut for practice.... people who cheat rarely put in the required practice time... in the end they still have to make the shot...

The gap ,ethod of judging yards used to work really well when there were bears, deer, and hogs made up majority of anmals ata shoot!.... same size targets.... now with all the variety... not as much comes into play!... how does it work on a cobra,or a raptor, or the anorexic polar bear....

let's no take this game too serious... until we are shooting for a couple of grand a weekend!...

Trav
04-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Boy some people sure get twisted up about stupid unenforceable rules :confused:

An open shooter is just as capable of this technique (ranging) as a fixed pin shooter. So the argument is moot.

I guess the next time someone decides to let down after an over hold we'll declare it cheating and toss 'em.

I'm beginning to remember that it wasn't just my dad being sick that made me quit going to shoots for 5 years...

you know as well as i do what I am talking about russ. You also know that I could care less if someone wants to cheat, makes not diff to me hurts them in the end more than it does anyone else. we have shot enough together that you know i am there for the fun of it more than anything.

MathewsArcher
04-01-2008, 08:54 AM
http://www.archery.org/UserFiles/Document/FITA%20website/07%20Publications/02_Downloads/Field_Guidelines-e.pdf

From a FITA document on the FITA website.

The FITA Rules clearly state that the use of
range finding equipment is not allowed, and it
also indicates that the archer should not use his
equipment otherwise than intended when shooting
- which means that you should pretend you
are trying to shoot when measuring. It is known
that trying to stop measuring by means of using
your equipment is not possible, but the rules are
trying to make sure that real range finders will
not find their way into the world of FITA Field
competitions. This is why the rules will allow you
the above mentioned methods, but not allow you
to alter your equipment to become a range finder.
In previous days there was a rule which prevented
you from adjusting the sight after having
drawn your bow against the target, and before
having shot the first arrow, but the rule was
changed as it caused more problems than it
solved.

So in order not to be stopped by a judge, or not
to annoy any competitor, you should lift your bow
pretending that you plan to shoot, when measuring
the distance. That way you are safely within
the rules and nobody can complain following
today's ruling.

Cousins, Dudley, Lundin and most of the worlds best field archers have written articles on ranging techniques..............
Everyone cheats!!!!!!!!!! :innocent: