PDA

View Full Version : Mooching Reel

edmonton floater
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Hey Guys,
When I was about 16 and Grandfather died he passed down to me a older giant wood mooching reel.
I have never used it but am thinking about bring the spirit of the reel and my grandfather back to life, But I would like to have it looked over to find if anything has broken or just worn out over time.

Would anybody know of a place I could take it to have it serviced?
I live in the west end of Edmonton but work on the South, So pretty much anywhere in Edmonton would do.

Thanks

tacklerunner
04-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Sounds like an old Peetz reel. Mahogany and brass?? If so, there's not much to them; usually a wing nut and bolt. You can polish the brass, grease the axle...

Not from your area so can't help you with referral but wanted to say nice reel. Had a few. They literally can last forever.

jednastka
04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I've inherited one from my uncle. I agree, there's very little to the old wooden with brass trim ones. I am thinking the same thing as you, about using it, probably on a downrigger setup for lakers.

Vic

edmonton floater
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Ya it looks like mahogany and brass and it has the wing nut on one side.
sounds like something I could undertake on my own.
thanks for the info guys

Lornce
04-04-2012, 07:43 PM
They are really beautiful reels, I use mine a a desk ornament. Gorgeous when polished and waxed.

Jamie
04-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I am so much wanting to catch a salmon on a old fashioned wooden Petz.
Your a lucky dog, please advise if you are ever wanting to let it go to a new home.

Jamie