PDA

View Full Version : Form letter to Goverment about safe storage laws along with email addresses. Send it!

timsesink
04-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I have read with great concern in the media and the Gazette about the proposed changes to explosives regulations by Natural Resources Canada. As a sport shooter and hunter, I believe the ministry as overlooked the vast, complicated impact to the many Canadians who purchase commercially manufactured ammunition or buy the components for reloading their own cartridges.

I understand the need to improve regulations to deal with the modern terrorism threat, but Natural Resources Canada must weigh the impact on firearm owners. Vague storage requirements against theft leave the door wide open for many everyday Canadians to be paper criminals again.

It appears that Natural Resources Canada has focused on commercial uses of explosives and simply made blanket registrations that will severely affect individual firearm owners. Requiring explosives to be locked up to prevent theft makes sense at a remote job site or in a blasting company’s work truck, not for a few boxes of ammo in a hunter’s garage. As well any powder locked in a metal container in a fire will become a bomb waiting to go off as pressure will be unable to be released creating a safety hazard especially firefighters. As for Mr. Watson's concept to build a wooden box with brass hinges, what are we in the 19th century? This harassment of law-abiding citizens needs to stop.

May I suggest a clear, well defined exception to any new storage requirements for individuals in possession of factory ammunition or reasonable quantities of the components required to self-load ammunition including black and smokeless powder. I voted for the PC's on there stand to STOP the harassment of lawful gun owning citizens, this only adds another layer of regulation that will continue to allow agencies unconstitutional access into gun owners home. In the strongest possible terms I urge you top put this concept to rest and follow the will of the people.

Sincerely,

Harper.S@parl.gc.ca
Toews.V@parl.gc.ca
Breitkreuz.G@parl.gc.ca
rob.anders@parl.gc.ca
Christopher.Watson@NRCan.gc.ca

add your own MP
last name. first intial @parl.gc.ca

timsesink
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
First 1/2 taken from CGN.

HunterDave
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
There's a typo in the form letter that you posted...."as overlooked" should read "has overlooked".

My letter to my MP is short, sweet and to the point. I only changed a few things in my emails to Harper, Toews et all.

Dear Mr Storseth,

I am writing you to express my concern and dissatisfaction with the proposed changes to the Explosive Regulation making it an offence to not lock up your hunting ammunition.

There is no requirement to bring in this change EXCEPT as a means to punish law abiding gun owners much the way that the long gun registry did.

I don’t support this regulation change and I doubt that the majority of your constituents do. I therefore respectfully request that you strongly oppose the implementation of it.

I would like to know what your position is with regards to the proposed regulation change.

Thank you.

Rocky7
04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
and here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=128174

(some of that doesn't show here???)

greylynx
04-04-2012, 06:36 PM
The gunhating bureaucrats will do everything to hit us innocent people.

Us gunowners have become victims of federal government civil service hatred.

It is time to tell our MP's we demand these very bad people be removed from their employment with the civil service.

That is the approach I am taking.

This will be a handwritten letter.

Jeromeo
04-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I have revised your letter with spelling, punctuation, and grammatical corrections. Sorry, I am a teacher and can't send out a letter that needs corrections.

Here it is:

Attention MP's Name:

I have read with great concern, in the media and the Gazette, about the proposed changes to explosives regulations by Natural Resources Canada. As a sport shooter and hunter, I believe the ministry has overlooked the vast, complicated impact to the many Canadians who purchase commercially manufactured ammunition or buy the components for reloading their own cartridges.

I understand the need to improve regulations to deal with the modern terrorism threats, but Natural Resources Canada must weigh the impact on firearm owners. Vague storage requirements against theft leave the door wide open for many everyday Canadians to be paper criminals again.

It appears that Natural Resources Canada has focused on commercial uses of explosives and simply made blanket registrations that will severely affect individual firearm owners. Requiring explosives to be locked up to prevent theft makes sense at a remote job site or in a blasting company’s work truck, not for a few boxes of ammo in a hunter’s garage. As well, any powder locked in a metal container in a fire will become a bomb waiting to go off as pressure will be unable to be released creating a safety hazard, especially to firefighters. As for Mr. Watson's concept to build a wooden box with brass hinges; are we in the 19th century? This harassment of law-abiding citizens needs to stop.

May I suggest a clear, well defined exception to any new storage requirements for individuals in possession of factory ammunition or reasonable quantities of the components required to self-load ammunition including black and smokeless powder. I voted for the Conservatives based on their stand to STOP the harassment of lawful gun owning citizens, this only adds another layer of regulation that will continue to allow agencies unconstitutional access into gun owners home. In the strongest possible terms I urge you to put this concept to rest and follow the will of the people.

Sincerely,
Your Name

jvillads
04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
There's a typo in the form letter that you posted...."as overlooked" should read "has overlooked".

My letter to my MP is short, sweet and to the point. I only changed a few things in my emails to Harper, Toews et all.

Dear Mr Storseth,

I am writing you to express my concern and dissatisfaction with the proposed changes to the Explosive Regulation making it an offence to not lock up your hunting ammunition.

There is no requirement to bring in this change EXCEPT as a means to punish law abiding gun owners much the way that the long gun registry did.

I don’t support this regulation change and I doubt that the majority of your constituents do. I therefore respectfully request that you strongly oppose the implementation of it.

I would like to know what your position is with regards to the proposed regulation change.

Thank you.

Copied your letter, Hope that is OK. Now my MP knows my thoughts. We will see what happens.

Thanks

leeaspell
04-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I have revised your letter with spelling, punctuation, and grammatical corrections. Sorry, I am a teacher and can't send out a letter that needs corrections.

Here it is:

Attention MP's Name:

I have read with great concern, in the media and the Gazette, about the proposed changes to explosives regulations by Natural Resources Canada. As a sport shooter and hunter, I believe the ministry has overlooked the vast, complicated impact to the many Canadians who purchase commercially manufactured ammunition or buy the components for reloading their own cartridges.

I understand the need to improve regulations to deal with the modern terrorism threats, but Natural Resources Canada must weigh the impact on firearm owners. Vague storage requirements against theft leave the door wide open for many everyday Canadians to be paper criminals again.

It appears that Natural Resources Canada has focused on commercial uses of explosives and simply made blanket registrations that will severely affect individual firearm owners. Requiring explosives to be locked up to prevent theft makes sense at a remote job site or in a blasting company’s work truck, not for a few boxes of ammo in a hunter’s garage. As well, any powder locked in a metal container in a fire will become a bomb waiting to go off as pressure will be unable to be released creating a safety hazard, especially to firefighters. As for Mr. Watson's concept to build a wooden box with brass hinges; are we in the 19th century? This harassment of law-abiding citizens needs to stop.

May I suggest a clear, well defined exception to any new storage requirements for individuals in possession of factory ammunition or reasonable quantities of the components required to self-load ammunition including black and smokeless powder. I voted for the Conservatives based on their stand to STOP the harassment of lawful gun owning citizens, this only adds another layer of regulation that will continue to allow agencies unconstitutional access into gun owners home. In the strongest possible terms I urge you to put this concept to rest and follow the will of the people.

Sincerely,
Your Name

Since you are a teacher I have a question to ask.

When I was in school I was always taught that when you start a paragraph, to indented the first word. But I have noticed a lot (most) that people don't do it anymore. Is that no longer the norm?

dadof5
04-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I made further changes. Sent it to 5 or 6 MPs. Also posted on Facebook for my contacts there to copy and send.

If you are a firearms owner, or know one, or care for your own rights in general to act responsibly without excessive government control, copy and send the following to your Member of Parliament, to Stephen Harper, and to any other MPs that you know.

Dear Sir (or Madam),

I have read, with great concern, in the media and the Canada Gazette about the proposed changes to Explosives Regulations, 2012 by Natural Resources Canada. As a sport shooter and hunter, I believe the ministry as overlooked the vast, complicated impact to the many Canadians who purchase commercially manufactured ammunition or buy the components for reloading their own cartridges.

I understand the need to improve regulations to deal with the modern terrorism threat, but Natural Resources Canada must weigh the impact on legal Canadian firearm owners. Vague storage requirements against theft leave the door wide open for many everyday Canadians to be paper criminals again.

It appears that Natural Resources Canada has focused on commercial uses of explosives and simply made blanket registrations that will severely affect individual firearm owners. Requiring explosives to be locked up to prevent theft makes sense at a remote job site or in a blasting company’s work truck, not for a few boxes of ammunition in a hunter’s garage or in his or her truck. As well any powder locked in a metal container in a fire will become a bomb waiting to go off as pressure will be unable to be released creating a safety hazard, especially to firefighters and others in the vicinity of a house fire.

Mr. Watson has shared his concept to build a wooden box with brass hinges for the storage of small arms ammunition. This is not the 19th century. Such a suggestion will do little or nothing to accomplish the apparent goals of the Regulation. Neither does storing ammunition in a locked ammunition box that can be carried away. This requirement for storage will do nothing to protect the ammunition from theft. This regulation simply opens up a major can of worms that will result in the harassment of law-abiding citizens which needs to stop.

There is no clear direction that gives lawful firearms owners such as myself the necessary knowledge and information required to be in compliance with the law. For example, what storage laws must be abided by when an outdoorsman removes ammunition from his home for the purpose of hunting. When ammunition is on ones person, or at a hunting camp, what storage laws will apply? Further, this regulation creates opportunities for most law abiding outdoorsmen to find themselves facing criminal charges simply by failing to lock up each and every round of ammunition at his or her home. Any outdoorsman will attest to the fact that following a day of hunting gophers, there will be the odd .22 shell left in a pocket, in the ashtray or door pocket of a truck, or even on a nightstand. Any of these scenarios would appear to potentially lead to criminal charges.

Without appearing overly cynical, the danger created from a .22 shell or even any other cartridge, or in fact even a box or two of cartridges is substantially less than leaving a Bic lighter in the reach of a child, or in the reach of a thief. A hunting, or even a kitchen knife creates a greater danger when left in the reach of a child. It is unreasonable to control the citizens of this country by the creation and enforcement of unnecessary overbearing regulations that will lead to the criminalization of many otherwise law abiding people.

May I suggest a clear, well defined exception to any new storage requirements for individual users in possession of factory ammunition or reasonable quantities of the components required to self-load ammunition including black and smokeless powder. I voted for the PC's in part due to their stand to STOP the harassment of lawful firearm owning citizens. I am please to see that Bill C-19 has survived the third reading today. However, this new regulation only adds another layer of regulation that will continue to allow agencies unconstitutional access into firearm owner's homes.

In the strongest possible terms I urge you to consider the above and give heed to the voice and will of the people.

Regards,

YOUR NAME AND TOWN HERE.

Here are a few addresses to use:
Harper.S@parl.gc.ca
jim.hillyer@parl.gc.ca

dadof5
04-04-2012, 11:20 PM
For those who don't want to look it up, here are the relevant sections of the Regulation.

PART 14

SMALL ARMS CARTRIDGES, PROPELLANT POWDER AND PERCUSSION CAPS

Overview

267. This Part authorizes the acquisition, storage and sale of small arms cartridges and the manufacture of small arms cartridges and black powder cartouches. Division 1 sets out the rules for sellers and users of small arms cartridges (type C.1). Division 2 sets out the rules for sellers and users of propellant powder (type P) and percussion caps (also known as primer) (type C.3) and for manufacturers of small arms cartridges and black powder cartouches.

Definitions

268. (1) The following definitions apply in this Part.

“black powder”
«*poudre noire*»

“black powder” means an explosive classified as type P.1.

“propellant powder”
«*poudre propulsive*»

“propellant powder” means black powder and smokeless powder.

“small arms cartridge”
«*cartouche pour armes de petit calibre*»

“small arms cartridge” means a cartridge that is designed to be used in small arms, has a calibre of no more than 12.7 mm (.50 calibre), is fitted with centre or rim fire priming and contains a propelling charge, with or without a solid projectile. It includes a shotgun shell of any gauge.

“smokeless powder”
«*poudre sans fumée*»

“smokeless powder” means an explosive classified as type P.2.

Storage

(2) For the purposes of this Part, small arms cartridges, propellant powder and percussion caps are stored in a sales establishment if they are

(a) inside the sales establishment, whether they are in a storage unit or displayed for sale;

(b) outside the sales establishment in a storage unit that is used in operating the establishment; or

(c) in a licensed magazine that is either inside or outside the establishment.
Quantity of cartridges, powder or caps

269. A reference in this Part to a mass of small arms cartridges or propellant powder is a reference to their net quantity (the mass of the explosives excluding the mass of any packaging, container, shell casing or projectile).

DIVISION 1

SMALL ARMS CARTRIDGES

Definitions

270. The following definitions apply in this Division.

“distributor”
«*distributeur*»

“distributor” means a person who sells small arms cartridges to other distributors or to retailers, whether or not they sell to users.

“licence”
«*licence*»

“licence” means a licence that authorizes the storage of small arms cartridges.

“retailer”
«*détaillant*»

“retailer” means a person, other than a distributor, who sells small arms cartridges.

“seller”
«*vendeur*»

“seller” means a distributor or a retailer.

“user”
«*utilisateur*»

“user” means a person who acquires small arms cartridges for use.

Rules for Sellers

Acquisition for Sale

Distributor

271. (1) A distributor may acquire, store and sell small arms cartridges if they hold a licence. A distributor who acquires small arms cartridges must comply with this Division.

Retailer

(2) A retailer may acquire, store and sell small arms cartridges, whether or not they hold a licence. A retailer who acquires small arms cartridges must comply with this Division.

Storage

Licensed seller

272. (1) A seller who holds a licence must store their small arms cartridges in the magazine specified in their licence.

Unlicensed retailer

(2) A retailer who does not hold a licence must store their small arms cartridges in a sales establishment and must ensure that the requirements of sections 273 to 275 are met.

Attendance

273. (1) When a sales establishment is unlocked, small arms cartridges that are displayed for sale must be attended, kept behind a sales counter or locked up (for example, in a cabinet).

Access

(2) Only people authorized by the retailer may have access to the area behind a sales counter.

Maximum quantity

274. (1) No more than 225 kg of small arms cartridges may be stored in a sales establishment at any one time, including cartridges that are displayed for sale.

Place of storage

(2) Small arms cartridges that are not displayed for sale must be stored in a dwelling or a storage unit.

Storage requirements — dwelling

275. (1) When small arms cartridges are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition, in a manner that protects them from theft and ensures that access to them is limited to people authorized by the retailer.

Storage requirements — storage unit

(2) When small arms cartridges are stored in a storage unit,

(a) the storage unit must be located in a dry place, away from flammable substances and sources of ignition;

(b) the storage unit must be constructed and maintained to prevent unauthorized access and to protect the contents from weather;

(c) if the storage unit is a container, it must not impede exit in case of fire;

(d) if the storage unit is not a container, all exits must be kept unobstructed;

(e) any shelving in the storage unit must be made from a non-sparking material (for example, wood or painted metal);

(f) only propellant powder and percussion caps may be stored with the small arms cartridges;

(g) small arms cartridges, propellant powder and percussion caps must be stored separately from one another (for example, on different shelves or separated by a wooden barrier);

(h) the storage unit must be attended when it is unlocked;

(i) the storage unit must be kept clean, dry, organized and free of grit;

(j) any spill, leakage or other contamination in the storage unit must be cleaned up immediately;

(k) precautions that minimize the likelihood of fire in or near the storage unit must be taken; and

(l) a sign that displays the words “Danger — Fire Hazard/Risque d’incendie” in letters at least 10 cm high and that prohibits smoking using letters, or a symbol, at least 10 cm high must be posted on the storage unit in a clearly visible location.
Sale

Maximum quantity — licensed buyer

276. (1) A seller must not sell more small arms cartridges to a licensed buyer than the buyer is authorized by their licence to store.

Maximum quantity — unlicensed buyer

(2) A seller must not sell more small arms cartridges to an unlicensed buyer than the buyer is authorized by this Division to store.

Retailer

277. A retailer may sell small arms cartridges only to a user.

Rules for Users

Acquisition

278. A user may acquire and store small arms cartridges, whether or not they hold a licence. A user who acquires small arms cartridges must comply with this Division.

Storage — licensed user

279. (1) A user who holds a licence must store their small arms cartridges in the magazine specified in their licence.

Storage — unlicensed user

(2) A user who does not hold a licence must store their small arms cartridges in a dwelling or a storage unit and ensure that

(a) in the case of small arms cartridges that do not contain black powder, the requirements of sections 280 and 281 are met; and

(b) in the case of small arms cartridges that contain black powder, the requirements of sections 299 to 304 are met.
Maximum quantity

280. No more than 225 kg of small arms cartridges that do not contain black powder may be stored at any one time.

281. (1) When small arms cartridges that do not contain black powder are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition, in a manner that protects them from theft and ensures that access to them is limited to people authorized by the user.

(2) When small arms cartridges that do not contain black powder are stored in a storage unit,

(a) the storage unit must be located in a dry place, away from flammable substances and sources of ignition;

(b) the storage unit must be constructed and maintained to prevent unauthorized access and to protect the contents from weather;

(c) if the storage unit is a container, it must not impede exit in case of fire;

(d) if the storage unit is not a container, all exits must be kept unobstructed;

(e) any shelving in the storage unit must be made from a non-sparking material (for example, wood or painted metal);

(f) only propellant powder, percussion caps or black powder cartouches may be stored with the small arms cartridges;

(g) small arms cartridges, propellant powder, percussion caps and black powder cartouches must be stored separately from one another (for example, on different shelves or separated by a wooden barrier);

(j) any spill, leakage or other contamination in the storage unit must be cleaned up immediately;

(k) precautions that minimize the likelihood of fire in or near the storage unit must be taken; and

(l) a sign that displays the words “Danger — Fire Hazard/Risque d’incendie” in letters at least 10 cm high and that prohibits smoking using letters, or a symbol, at least 10 cm high must be posted on the storage unit in a clearly visible location.
DIVISION 2

PROPELLANT POWDER AND PERCUSSION CAPS AND THE MANUFACTURE OF SMALL ARMS CARTRIDGES AND BLACK POWDER CARTOUCHES

Definitions

282. The following definitions apply in this Division.

“distributor”
«*distributeur*»

“distributor” means a person who sells propellant powder or percussion caps to other distributors or to retailers, whether or not they sell to users.

“licence”
«*licence*»

“licence” means a licence issued under the Explosives Act that authorizes the storage of the type of explosive, whether propellant powder, percussion caps, small arms cartridges or black powder cartouches, that are to be sold, acquired or manufactured.

“retailer”
«*détaillant*»

“retailer” means a person, other than a distributor, who sells propellant powder or percussion caps.

“seller”
«*vendeur*»

“seller” means a distributor or a retailer.

“user”
«*utilisateur*»

“user” means a person who acquires propellant powder or percussion caps for use.

Rules for Sellers

Acquisition for Sale

Distributor

283. (1) A distributor may acquire, store and sell propellant powder and percussion caps if they hold a licence. A distributor who acquires propellant powder or percussion caps must comply with this Division.

Retailer

(2) A retailer may acquire, store and sell propellant powder and percussion caps, whether or not they hold a licence. A retailer who acquires propellant powder or percussion caps must comply with this Division.

Storage

Licensed seller

284. (1) A seller who holds a licence must store their propellant powder and percussion caps in the magazine specified in their licence.

Separate storage

(2) A seller must not store propellant powder and percussion caps in the same magazine.

Unlicensed retailer

285. A retailer who does not hold a licence must store their propellant powder and percussion caps in a sales establishment and must ensure that the requirements of sections 286 to 288 are met.

Display for sale — propellant powder

286. (1) No more than 12 kg of propellant powder, of which no more than 500 g may be black powder, may be displayed for sale.

Size of container

(2) Propellant powder that is displayed for sale must be in a container that holds no more than 500 g.

Display for sale — percussion caps

(3) No more than 10 000 percussion caps may be displayed for sale.

Original packaging

(4) Percussion caps that are displayed for sale must be in their original packaging.

Precautions

(5) Propellant powder and percussion caps that are displayed for sale must be kept behind a counter or locked up (for example, in a cabinet).

Access

(6) Only people authorized by the retailer may have access to the area behind a sales counter.

Maximum quantity

287. (1) No more than 12 kg of propellant powder may be stored at a sales establishment at any one time, including powder that is displayed for sale.

Place of storage

(2) Propellant powder and percussion caps that are not displayed for sale must be stored in a dwelling or a storage unit.

Original packaging

(3) Percussion caps that are stored in a dwelling or a storage unit must be in their original packaging.

288. (1) When propellant powder or percussion caps are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition, in a manner that protects them from theft and ensures that access to them is limited to people authorized by the retailer.

(2) When propellant powder or percussion caps are stored in a storage unit,

(f) only small arms cartridges may be stored with propellant powder or percussion caps;

(g) propellant powder, percussion caps and small arms cartridges must be stored separately from one another (for example, on different shelves or separated by a wooden barrier);

Transfer of powder

289. A seller must not transfer propellant powder from one container to another for the purpose of sale unless their licence authorizes them to do so.

Sale

Notification of Chief Inspector

290. A retailer who does not hold a licence must, before beginning to sell propellant powder, send the Chief Inspector of Explosives a written notice that sets out their name, address, telephone number, fax number and email address and the date on which they will begin to sell. The retailer must also send the Chief Inspector a written notice as soon as the circumstances permit when they stop selling propellant powder.

Original packaging

291. A seller may sell percussion caps only if they are in their original packaging.

Maximum quantity — licensed buyer

292. (1) A seller must not sell more propellant powder or percussion caps to a licensed buyer than the buyer is authorized by their licence to store.

Maximum quantity — unlicensed retailer

(2) A seller must not sell more propellant powder to an unlicensed buyer than the buyer is authorized by this Division to store.

Retailer

293. A retailer may sell propellant powder or percussion caps only to a user.

Identification

294. (1) Before selling propellant powder to a buyer, the seller must require the buyer to establish their identity by providing

(a) a piece of identification issued by the Government of Canada, or a provincial, municipal or foreign government, that bears a photograph of the buyer, or

(b) two pieces of identification, each of which sets out the buyer’s name, at least one of which is issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government and at least one of which sets out the buyer’s address.

Verification of identity

(2) If the buyer provides a piece of identification that bears a photograph, the seller must ensure, before selling the propellant powder, that the photograph is that of the buyer.

Record of sale

295. A seller must keep a record of each sale of propellant powder for two years after the date of the sale. The record must include the following information:

(a) the buyer’s name and address or the number of their licence, if any, issued under the Firearms Act;

(b) in the case of a licensed buyer, the licence number and expiry date;

(c) the type and trade name of the powder sold, the size of the container in which it was sold and the name of the person who obtained its authorization;

(d) the quantity of powder sold under each trade name; and

(e) the date of the sale.
Rules for Users

Acquisition

Acquisition

296. A user may acquire and store propellant powder and percussion caps, whether or not they hold a licence. A user may manufacture small arms cartridges and black powder cartouches for their own personal use and may store them, whether or not they hold a licence. A user who acquires propellant powder or percussion caps or manufactures small arms cartridges or black powder cartouches must comply with this Division.

Note: Part 5 regulates the commercial manufacture of small arms cartridges.

Storage

Licensed user

297. (1) A user who holds a licence must store their propellant powder, percussion caps, small arms cartridges and black powder cartouches in the magazine specified in their licence.

Separate storage

(2) A user must not store propellant powder and percussion caps in the same magazine.

Unlicensed user

298. (1) A user who does not hold a licence must store their propellant powder, percussion caps, small arms cartridges that contain black powder and black powder cartouches in a dwelling or a storage unit and ensure that the requirements of sections 299 to 304 are met.

Small arms cartridges that contain no black powder

(2) A user who does not hold a licence and who manufactures small arms cartridges that do not contain black powder must store the cartridges in a dwelling or a storage unit and ensure that the requirements of sections 280 and 281 are met.

Percussion caps

299. (1) Percussion caps must be stored in their original packaging.

Smokeless powder

(2) Smokeless powder must be stored in its original container or in small arms cartridges.

Black powder

(3) Black powder must be stored in its original container, in small arms cartridges or in black powder cartouches.

Maximum quantity

300. The maximum quantity of propellant powder that may be stored by a user at any one time under sections 301 to 303 is reduced by the quantity of any propellant powder that the user is storing under section 376 and any quantity they are storing under section 390.

Detached dwelling

301. No more than 25 kg of propellant powder, of which no more than 5 kg may be black powder, may be stored at any one time in a detached dwelling or a storage unit that is attached to a dwelling.

Other dwellings — smokeless powder

302. (1) The maximum quantity of smokeless powder that may be stored at any one time in a dwelling that is located in a building containing other dwellings is

(a) 20 kg, if all the powder is in containers that hold no more than 1 kg; or

(b) 5 kg, if any of the powder is in a container that holds more than 1 kg.
Other dwellings — black powder

(2) The maximum quantity of black powder that may be stored at any one time in a dwelling that is located in a building containing other dwellings is

(a) 1 kg, if the black powder is in containers; or

(b) 3 kg less any quantity that is in containers, if the black powder is in small arms cartridges or black powder cartouches.
Detached storage unit

303. The maximum quantity of propellant powder that may be stored at any one time in a detached storage unit is 75 kg, less any quantity that is stored in a place referred to in section 301 and any quantity that is stored in a place referred to in section 302.

304. (1) When propellant powder, percussion caps, small arms cartridges that contain black powder or black power cartouches are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition, in a manner that protects them from theft and ensures that access to them is limited to people authorized by the user.

(2) When propellant powder, percussion caps, small arms cartridges that contain black powder or black powder cartouches are stored in a storage unit,

(f) only propellant powder, percussion caps, small arms cartridges and black powder cartouches may be stored in the storage unit;

(g) propellant powder, percussion caps, small arms cartridges and black powder cartouches must be stored separately from one another (for example, on different shelves or separated by a wooden barrier);

Manufacture

305. (1) A person who manufactures small arms cartridges or black powder cartouches must be at least 18 years old or under the supervision of a person who is at least 18 years old.

Requirements

(2) A person who manufactures small arms cartridges or black powder cartouches must ensure that the following requirements are met:

(a) the place where the manufacturing is carried out must have a means of escape that will permit all people in the place to leave it quickly and easily in an emergency;

(b) precautions that minimize the likelihood of an ignition must be taken;

(c) all containers of explosives must be labelled to identify their contents and must be kept closed when not in use;

(d) no more than 2 kg of smokeless powder may be within 1 m of the loading area;

(e) no more than 500 g of black powder may be within 1 m of the loading area;

(f) the small arms cartridges must not include a tracer, incendiary or similar military component or device (for example, an armour piercing projectile); and

(g) no more than 150 percussion caps may be kept in the loader mechanism of the reloading equipment.
Classification of explosives

(3) For the purposes of transporting small arms cartridges or black powder cartouches manufactured under this Division, the small arms cartridges are classified as UN 0012 and the black powder cartouches are classified as UN 0014.

densa44
04-04-2012, 11:29 PM
I had a bet with a friend that when the LGR died the politicians would come up with something worse! This is much worse, for me anyway, If it becomes law, I'll collect!

Jeromeo
04-05-2012, 07:04 AM

When I was in school I was always taught that when you start a paragraph, to indented the first word. But I have noticed a lot (most) that people don't do it anymore. Is that no longer the norm?

You sir, are 100% correct. I was hoping nobody would catch that. The Tab button on my Samsung Tablet wouldn't work so I left it as is.
Good catch! It was intended but technology got in the way.... :scared:

Rocky7
04-05-2012, 07:37 AM

It's optional, actually. Whatever floats your boat.

pattycr125
04-05-2012, 07:46 AM
you don't see anyone calling others tinfoil hat wearers anymore haha.

recce43
04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I sent one letter to my MP and another one to the PM

timsesink
04-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Here it is:

Attention MP's Name:

Sincerely,
Your Name

Well done! I was in to much of a rush on the original, thanx for noticing.

Redneck Renagade
04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Sent my letter out as well as I sent a link to this page to everyone on my email list. We all gotta do our part.

Renagade

beerhunter
04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Sent, will be interesting to see what comes back

airbornedeerhunter
04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't bother, Vic Toews has already said that these proposals will not proceed!

Rocky7
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Don't bother, Vic Toews has already said that these proposals will not proceed!

My guess is that the CPC has been bombarded by emails and faxes and calls from p-o'd gun owners.:fighting0074:

Cheers, y'all!:)

32-40win
04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
That is a good thing to hear,but, keep an eye on it. I think that Watson had good intentions, but, the people writing it up likely pulled a fast one on him.
We need to get the proper definitions and separation of the hunting/shooting consumer and retail store put into proper perspective in the changes to come.
And they will come. This is not yet put to bed.