PDA

View Full Version : selling fire arm

Lumberdog198
04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I want to sell a firearm that i aquired many years ago. Do i have to record any information from the buyer? What does the law say and how long do i have to keep that info and do I haver to send it to any goverment office?

wwbirds
04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
CFC has a Frequently asked Questions section for people selling or buying.

260 Rem
04-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Assuming it is non restricted and registered, you need to call CFC to initiate the transfer, you will require the buyers name and PAL,... CFC will give you a reference number which you communicate to the buyer who must call CFC to complete the transfer. All done by phone. Once the LGR is officially over, CFC will not be involved so you will need to confirm the buyer has a valid PAL before going through with the sale.

alpining
04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Welcome to the forum, Lumberdog.

sheephunter
04-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Assuming it is non restricted and registered, you need to call CFC to initiate the transfer, you will require the buyers name and PAL,... CFC will give you a reference number which you communicate to the buyer who must call CFC to complete the transfer. All done by phone. Once the LGR is officially over, CFC will not be involved so you will need to confirm the buyer has a valid PAL before going through with the sale.

You also need your PAL and the firearm registration certificate when you call.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

elkhunter11
04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Quite often,they have asked me for the make,model, and serial number of the firearm. Every now and then, they ask the chambering, and sometimes even the capacity and barrel length, depending on who you talk to.

CaberTosser
04-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Depending on whether your firearm in question things may change quite soon with the impending demise of the long gun registry. If it's a long gun the procedure will become simpler; if it is a restricted firearm such as a pistol or AR-15 variant there will still be lots of hoops to jump through. If it's what is classified as a 'prohibited' firearm you may not even be legal to be in it's possession unless you have a PAL with some of the 'grandfathered' classifications such as 12.6. There is a website called canadiangunnutz that has lots of FAQ answers in their 'Legalese' section. I'd recommend signing up and doing lots of reading, you're answers likely already there. Be sure to scrutinize the information as some people might post when they should be learning instead.