PDA

View Full Version : New Sonar/finder

lakertaker
04-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Ive been thinking of getting a new sonar/fish finder. I dont want to break the bank on an HDS10 or anything like that. I have been looking at the huminbird 798ci HD combo unit. Anyone have any recomendations? Do you feel like side or down imaging are worth it? or just one or the other?

The Fisherman Guy
04-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I just picked up an HDS 5. I did buy a HDS5X, but I returned it before using it. I like that I can update the firmware on the 5, and upload the maps for Canada.

Also, Lowrance makes a convertable kit for the HDS5 series, so that the unit can be used as an ice flasher as well. Two tools in one!

Jamie Black R/T
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
i just bought a 597ci HD.....pretty feature rich combo for the price.

Id go with the Bird you listed in a heartbeat.

tons of reviews online for both brands.

Pixel Shooter
04-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I just listed a HDS-5 GPS/fishfinder in the FS forum ;)

bobalong
04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I just picked up a Humminbird 798ci Hd Si combo.Side/Down imaging is relatively new technology, Humminbird introduced it and continues to improve on it every year. It is going to be real intersting to see just how good side/down imaging is going to get in the future. Due to the fact that Humminbird and Minn-Kota are owned by the same company I think it is only going to be a matter of time until you will be controlling your trolling motor with a Humminbird Sonar, similar to how you can control Canon downriggers with them.

RapStaff
04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I picked up a humming bird 798 SI at the outdoor show.
I decided to try out a humming bird on the input from some of the people I talked to.
The package I got for what I paid was great dollar value.

chubbdarter
04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I just picked up a Humminbird 798ci Hd Si combo.Side/Down imaging is relatively new technology, Humminbird introduced it and continues to improve on it every year. It is going to be real intersting to see just how good side/down imaging is going to get in the future. Due to the fact that Humminbird and Minn-Kota are owned by the same company I think it is only going to be a matter of time until you will be controlling your trolling motor with a Humminbird Sonar, similar to how you can control Canon downriggers with them.

thats what my new tin is getting