PDA

View Full Version : Wasa Lake BC

fish on
04-04-2012, 03:51 PM
The family and I were looking to go on a bass hunting trip. Starting at Wasa lake and maybe going farther south to Jimsmith Lake. Has anyone been...maybe a stop in Invermere as well. What is the camping like?

Thanks in advance

ShawnM
04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
The family and I were looking to go on a bass hunting trip. Starting at Wasa lake and maybe going farther south to Jimsmith Lake. Has anyone been...maybe a stop in Invermere as well. What is the camping like?

Thanks in advance

Camped there dozens of times over the years. I really like the area because I grew up there as a "second home". As to the fishing, the couple years I've tried in the lake I've managed to get absolutely zippo. Nice area but I think you may have more luck in the river across the railroad tracks that run along the highway. Last year the river was incredibly low so I doubt you'd have much luck there either.

The Fisherman Guy
04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I have fished that area extensively, and there are fish there. Just not many of them.

There is a high density of outdoorsmen that live from Canal Flats to Cranbrook. The easily accessible lakes in that area receive a lot of fishing pressure.

BeeGuy
04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
If it is your first bass hunt, be aware of the reg's.

horsetrader
04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
If it is your first bass hunt, be aware of the reg's.

should a person not be aware of the regs every time they fish?

BeeGuy
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
should a person not be aware of the regs every time they fish?

Should a person making a friendly suggestion be criticized by the peanut gallery?

There are special reg's for Bass.

NOTICE TO ANGLERS
It is now illegal to fish for bass, perch,
pike or walleye in the Kootenay Region,
with the exception of certain waters with
existing fisheries, as listed in the Water-
Specific Tables. This measure is part of
B.C.’s new, zero-tolerance approach to
illegal fish introductions. For details, see
page82.

horsetrader
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Should a person making a friendly suggestion be criticized by the peanut gallery?

There are special reg's for Bass.

NOTICE TO ANGLERS
It is now illegal to fish for bass, perch,
pike or walleye in the Kootenay Region,
with the exception of certain waters with
existing fisheries, as listed in the Water-
Specific Tables. This measure is part of
B.C.’s new, zero-tolerance approach to
illegal fish introductions. For details, see
page82.

was just asking a simple question but your right you should not have criticized my suggestion but thats ok don't worry about it.

oh by the way there are no special regs for the lakes the op posted other then no motors on Jim Smith

Mr.goldeye
04-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Me and my father used to have luck with the bass in there in the early morning and then nothing, this was a couple years ago though

ViperV7
04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Was there a couple of years ago. Tryed to fish it but there were tons of ski boats. And none had respect for me in my 10'foot zodiac. Lazy lake was way to clear to fish. Never see a thing. Best bet is to try the creeks and rivers look at the regs because most of them are classified waters

Skookumchuck store (or how ever you spell it)is my hint to you!!!

bowness
04-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes but fishing a new area has specific rules. BC is the land of bureaucracy and regulation. Beeguy is simply giving him a friendly reminder about a species many of us have never fished for. Lots of ethics police on this forum...

horsetrader
04-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Yes but fishing a new area has specific rules. BC is the land of bureaucracy and regulation. Beeguy is simply giving him a friendly reminder about a species many of us have never fished for. Lots of ethics police on this forum...

So you don't think an angler should keep the regs in mind at all times he's fishing?

fish on
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I didn't think this post would go so off course.

Thanks for all the tips, and i would be purchasing a new licence when i go to

BC and I think it is the law to issue a reg book with you new licence.

Love how crazy people can get on here!!!! Keep it up!!!!

chubbdarter
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM

I hope you learned a lesson from this........NEVER ASK HOW THE CAMPING IS?

horsetrader
04-05-2012, 02:02 PM

It is not a law that they issue you a reg book with your license. But they will give you one if you want plus most information centers have them to. You can also get them online ...http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/..
I was down at Creston a few weeks ago ice was off duck but was still to early.
Jim Smith was still froze over but soft, Wasa was open but no run off yet so water was way low. Will be heading back that way a few times this year.

TROLLER
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
And if you thinkd our F&W guys can be nasty wait till you run into one of BC's finest.

Worst bunch of bozo's I ever had the displeasure of running into.

Neil Waugh
04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
My impression of Wasa it's a water ski/look-at-me-boat lake. So there's going to lots of prop shock happening.
Better choice would be Duck near Creston for largemouth. Fish the open water slots between the milfoil with a deer-hair popper. Then wait to get bushwhacked.

horsetrader
04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
My impression of Wasa it's a water ski/look-at-me-boat lake. So there's going to lots of prop shock happening.
Better choice would be Duck near Creston for largemouth. Fish the open water slots between the milfoil with a deer-hair popper. Then wait to get bushwhacked.

Wasa is a high impact lake lots of boat pressure big summer play area

but jim Smith is just a few miles away more of a fishermans lake

icefisher11
04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
is wasa lake still frozen ? and surrounding area lakes as well ?

horsetrader
04-05-2012, 06:21 PM
is wasa lake still frozen ? and surrounding area lakes as well ?

Wasa was open couple weeks ago but water was still super low till run off starts. Jim smith was froze but soft.

thumper
04-05-2012, 06:43 PM
If you're fishing with kids - Jimsmith Lake is much better - tons of small bass and sunfish will give them plenty of action. If you're going in Jul/Aug, Wasa can be screaming hot, but Jimsmith is more sheltered and cooler. It has a nice provincial Park as well.

icefisher11
04-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Wasa was open couple weeks ago but water was still super low till run off starts. Jim smith was froze but soft.

Thanks. Any more reports on open water in the area would be awesome. Lazy, Norbury, Premier, Whiteswan, ect...

fish on
04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
If you're fishing with kids - Jimsmith Lake is much better - tons of small bass and sunfish will give them plenty of action. If you're going in Jul/Aug, Wasa can be screaming hot, but Jimsmith is more sheltered and cooler. It has a nice provincial Park as well.

Thanks for the tip yes the kids will be with me. They are 8,5 and 2.
Yes we need more TV's. At Jimsmith whayt sizes are the bass 2lbs?

Son of Sniglett
04-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Jimsmith lake is supposed to have em' up to 5 pounds. Baynes lake is also supposed to have some large Bass, as well. Duck lake, which is just before Kootenay (other side of the tracks on the east end) is pretty famous. I'd check that out, as well.

I can imagine a lot of Delta Bravos cranking Nickelback on Wasa lake-that could very easily ruin a day of fishing.